• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 Gallon redone

plantbrain

Expert
The initial plan:
2towers_zpsc8c57547.jpg

I'll be making some changes, but for now, this is about all the motivation I have for today.
120galredoneday0_zps77178885.jpg
REdonetopview_zps343cb49b.jpg

As is often the case, whenever you touch ADA AS, it mucks the tank up severely.
If you redo a tank and re level things, it's mud stew. While this requires several complete water changes, the upside is that your tank needed not be entirely dry.
This works well if you have a scape in mind already like this one. Not so well if you need/require a dry tank for rock base and build ups.
You can do it that way if you want, we did this with 220 gallon, but the filters where already mature.
We could have added some of the old ADA AS back into the bottom layer, which is basically what I did above, but never removed it.
If you remove it or have a chance, deep vacuum all the fines out of the ADA AS and leave behind the larger grains that are typical when you pour a new bag of soil in etc.
Then save that in a bucket and re use that part later.
I just went ahead and redid everything faster this way.
But you can do a few different methods to remove some of the fines and muck from the soil without having to toss 100% of it.

Redoing a mature tank like this or Gerry's has some really good points:
The NH4 is almost gone for the most part right away from leaching new ADA soil due to the aggressive filter. Combined with large water changes, typically 80% for 3-4x a week for 2-4 weeks, you really do not have much to fret about.
So the tank settles in much better generally than a new tank might. Few hiccups and the CO2, dosing and plants are all in great shape already from the previous scape. Much less work and trial and error.
I'll change a few of the minor wood branches/faux roots, then figure out a nice plant scheme with similar strong contrast.
Still pondering an African schooling fish for it, something that does not trash the finer plants.

I'll use a similar high color contrast scheme, not sure the plant species, some will be the same, some new changes also. Same general style.

I'll have more mosses in this display, that was the plan initially with the last one, but it never really went that direction.

Very nice I like the tree foot root look too:) look forward to seeing it clear

Hey Tom,

That's a lovely improvement on the hardscape layout. I really like it.

What's the plan with the planting? Another relatively formal garden-style? I realise you earn $$$ from your plants so this makes sense.

Soils are a PITA for re-scaping in terms of cloudiness. For a crystal clear water OCD nut like myself it's a nightmare! I resort to filling with an airline over several hours!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Thanks for sharing, as always. :)

Hey Tom,

That's a lovely improvement on the hardscape layout. I really like it.

What's the plan with the planting? Another relatively formal garden-style? I realise you earn $$$ from your plants so this makes sense.

Soils are a PITA for re-scaping in terms of cloudiness. For a crystal clear water OCD nut like myself it's a nightmare! I resort to filling with an airline over several hours!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Thanks for sharing, as always. :)

It lends well to the shape of the tank.
I think we have things backwards frankly, we should find nice hardscape stuff, THEN FIND the right sized tank for it.
This makes sizing and modifying hardscape materials critical and also worrying about scale a great deal.

So even with 3-4 tonnes of wood, I'm still not happy:)
True.........

The planting will make or break this design even more than the past version.
Yes, the idea was sort of a volcano with red/green contrast sloping from the peak downward and fanning out.
This is a hardscape mix of the Dutch Style groups(wide to narrow towards the rear) with a nice wood design.
But I'll keep the strongest possible contrast, but I'm trying to still stick with the trade offs of a nice rare plant, one that is also easier to care for with topping and or is more like Downoi, eiro's etc, slow growing etc.
While the groups will be defined, I do plan on adding more moss and liverworts to this one.

Sort of soften some of the edges. I do not think I can get the same color impact though, there just are not enough colors available for this scale.
Smaller tanks, perhaps.

I have to be careful in choosing WHERE I add each plant group and make sure to get the overall pattern of Red/green placement right from the start. Redoing it it later means moving EVERY plant group over one row.
SOB, I bit off a little more than I was planning on chewing.

I do not think the hardscape is all that novel, far from it, what defines this tank is all in the groupings and colors.
Species are very important to me personally, but they are not critical to the design unfortunately.
The scape will be mowed and kept lower through plant choices, I want a more open design and less stem group trimming to get the right effect.

Here's the tank after 2 x 100% water changes:

MuckyADAAS_zps49167243.jpg

Loving that! About as good a tree stump as you're ever likely to see I guess... More pics!!

Nahh......I was hoping it would be a bit smaller around the base and then flatter than it was.
I'm not entirely happy about it.

I'll keep my eye open for a similar piece and I know there are some out there, I just have not found it yet.

Yep, that was the 2nd water change, I added the wood after the 4th.
Tank has fully cleared and is totally cycled already.
I just packed the plants in for now, I still need some more ADA aqua soil so I'll pick some up next week or so.
It will take some time to get the planting the way I like. Maybe 4-6 months I'd say. A lot of the contrast and colors I already know, so less experimentation and more growing out the rare plants.
I try many species and see what works out.

I guess I'm much less patient with getting the really rare plants because they often do not look as good as some of the older standards, and I can still keep a few of the good sellers, so there's the farming $ vs the over all display appearance.
I need to make some decisions and I think the background will have many of the same plants from the old version.

Plants that shall stay for sure:
R wallichii
Downoi
Ludwigia red
L. tornado
R. mini butterfly
Hygro araguia
L. senegalensis
Tonina lotus blossom
Myriophyllum "mini"

New plants I'm certain about(well sort of):

Trithuria Sp aka Blood vomit
Ludwigia Sphaerocarpus
Erio setaceum Type 3 I really would love to grow this plant in this tank. It had been an issue in the past, but the flow is different now and the trimming patters.
Crypt affinis red metallic
I'm a glutton for punishment, I can literally grow the Bejesus out of the Elatine Hydropiper in my 180.........so I need to see if I can scape with it in this tank.
It's a perfect plant, if the fish will not pick at it and uproot it. No more Botia sidthimunki.
Hottonia palustris
Hydrocotyle vertillata
Rotala sunset
If I can source it, some S. lago grande
Pilularia americana
Mini pellia
Fissidens

Possible back up plans:

I have a lot of the Cuphea and Erio parkeri, but..........they might not make the cut.
I give every plant a few chances.

On the fence about Rotala "green", R. macrandra, likely will use them as fillers if I run out of a color or cannot get a plant to look right in that position.
Starougyne porto Velho is another option. Helanthium tenellum is red at least and will grow well.
is a nice smaller green plant.
Might need to go back to L. peruensis also, easy to grow, somewhat slower growth etc.
Pondweeds, P ampifolius and perfoliatus.
Have to have a few back up plans.

The Anubias, Rare Crypts, Buce's and the like, they are in the 70 Gallon.
A few others in the 180.

So I'm covered.

But then I have a bad Bonsai side many of you have little idea about:
A black pine that will be lowered later this winter to match the slope of the tree.
Likely a 2000$ tree now.

Blackpinerescue_zps1cb45379.jpg

White pine:
b3dc8aae.jpg

Juniperandmoss_zpsa7c4d228.jpg

oldschoolwasabikusa.jpg

I like the leaf loss in the fall/winter, signifies the changing of the seasons.
Most Japanese Gardens use evergreens to keep the feeling of the garden year round.

Nice beech tree, as those branches fatten up, it'll look better and better, nice shallow pot also.

I've wanted to get into bonsai for years but I have an over whelming fear of ruining a beatifull tree. I'm to much of a tinkerer to leave it be!! I

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back