• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 Litre Open-Top Planted Aquarium (Journal)

mark4785

120 Litre Open-Top Planted Aquarium - Journal

This particular aquarium underwent a thorough fishless cycle (pure-ammonia was employed) throughout August and September of 2012. At the end of the fishless cycle in which all water parameters were within normal range, the aquarium was stocked with a shoal of Black Neon Tetras who instantly started to gasp; two passed away and the others were saved by transferring them to an established aquarium. The deaths occurred prior to co2/plant introduction, so the o2 issue appears to be related to the huge oxygen demands of the filter bacteria. Because of this rocky start, this aquarium does not contain fish as o2 levels are still below 2 mg/L. However, the aquarium now contains several species of plants which have been growing very well.

Aquarium Details

Capacity: 120 litres (custom-built Aquarium)
Co2: Yes; Dennerle Comfort Range with replaceable 500g CO2 cylinder
Lighting: Will get these details shortly.
Plants: Ceratopteris thalictroides, Cryptocoryne x willisii, Echinodorus 'ozelot', Echinodorus 'red special', Echinodorus quadricostatus 'magdalenensis', Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'
Inhabitants: Nothing, although the intended stocking will either be a Dwarf South American Cichlid (recommendations are welcome).
Substrate & Decoration: Regular play sand sourced from China. Huge blue coloured rocks of varying shapes and sizes.

Aquarium Pictures

Overview
dsc05703xb.jpg

Hemanthius - growing well, but no sign of pearling
dsc05702gr.jpg

Miscellaneous
dsc05706pm.jpg

Miscellaneous
dsc05700hf.jpg

Due to the newness of the aquarium, it is not fully planted and the plants have yet to grow and spread (i.e. the Hemanthius has not formed a foreground carpet). Any suggestions for further plants to fill up the gaps will be much appreciated.

Mark.

LondonDragon said:
Any updated, hows the HC doing now?

Hi,

The HC spread considerably and i'd almost achieved a carpet effect and the echinodorus ruby (I think that's it's name) had massive leaves, however, the whole filter system (pipes and sponge media) was absolutely riddled with a brown bacteria which was also settling on the sand. Also a white film kept forming (excess protein probably) on the water surface.

The above became very annoying so I opted to remove absolutely everything from the aquarium. I have disinfected the entire filter system and filter pipes, and for good measure, I am now waiting for them to dry out (bacteria doesn't grow in a dry environment). I definitely want to stock the tank with blue rams so I had no option but to gut the tank; I really wanted to just apply disinfectant directly to the tank water without having to start afresh, but, apparently, such solutions can seriously undermine the silicone holding the tank together.

Once I'm confident the above mentioned bacteria is dead I'm going to put 25kg of fresh sand in, order the same plants, and position the rocks (possibly give them new positioning's that a blue ram would appreciate).

Update: 15th January 2013.

I've had to remove all of the filter media and aquarium contents due to hazardous bacteria which was growing on the glass, in the filter pipes and in the filter; it was using up all of the O2 in the water.

I disinfected all of the equipment over the Christmas period and I am now doing a fresh fishless cycle on the aquarium.

I intend to make the tank a low-light, low CO2 and low-nitrate environment exclusively for a German Blue Ram pair. I have repositioned all of the rocks.

I will be adding CO2 but as GBR's are fussy about CO2 concentrations too, I'll be using a Dennerle computer/probe to ensure the CO2 levels are just right.

I hope to keep the GBR pair for 4/5 years in a pristine, non-challenging (no tank mates getting in their way) environment.

If anybody has any advice as to what plants I could use in a low-light environment I'd really appreciate that as I often struggle to pick suitable plants.

Plenty of nice crypt's to choose from and depending on your tank specs eleocharis asicularis(hairgrass) would be nice in the foreground/midground.cheers mark

Back