• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55cm 'On the sea shore'

Re: 120 x 55 x 55cm planted... a bit of blue!

This tank is nuts,I love it!

Keep up the good work!

Sweet Googley moogley Mark, That is getting more inspirational by the day.

And ;) Should have those fish in on tuesday.

Splinun said:
his tank is nuts,I love it!

Keep up the good work!
Thank you :thumbup:

Alastair said:
this and your second tank in this thread have to be may faves....the name of it i cant remember

Cheers mate. I never really named the other tank :?

Danny said:
Are you putting on any extra lights over the tank when you take the pics?

For these pics, I've just used the 2 x 54 T5. It's not a great deal of light over 360L but with extra iso it's sufficient enough to get a semi decent photo. For final images i use external flash. Being able to move the tank helps bucket loads to get a nice even light on the wall.

Gill said:
Sweet Googley moogley Mark, That is getting more inspirational by the day.

Ahh sorry mate. Posted at the same time.

Thanks. It's looking OK for just 1 week old.

Here's a 2 week pic update. Nothing too major happening I'm afraid. A very mild case of diatoms, but that's about it.

The odd addition of fish here and there...

Marslilea is becoming a fave of mine, so much so, I've added some on the right hand side.

7754266964_40dcf6da1a_b.jpg
left2 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

7754265136_d96eabcd7d_b.jpg
left3 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

7754262978_707f6cdc48_b.jpg
rainbow2 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

7752950342_c49fab6fe7_b.jpg
rainbows by saintly's pics, on Flickr

Re: 120 x 55 x 55cm planted... @ 2 weeks

Stunning pics Mark :woot:
Those Rainbows look stunning almost better than real life. What species did you get in the end?

viktorlantos said:
The first pic is too good to be true

Great shots mate

Cheers Viktor. :thumbup:

OllieNZ said:
Stunning pics Mark
Those Rainbows look stunning almost better than real life. What species did you get in the end?

Thanks Ollie. I got 3 dwarf neon rainbows. Just to try them and see what they look like. They fit the idea perfectly. I'll let these settle, and add to them.

The last pic is a bit more 'Arty' rather than reality. A bit of added saturation in colours etc, but the other pic is more 'real life'

Thanks again. :D

Mark Evans said:
Thanks Ollie. I got 3 dwarf neon rainbows. Just to try them and see what they look like. They fit the idea perfectly. I'll let these settle, and add to them.

The last pic is a bit more 'Arty' rather than reality. A bit of added saturation in colours etc, but the other pic is more 'real life'

Thanks again. :D

Ahh I thought they looked less neon and more steely blue than they should not that it is a bad thing lol

They are cracking fish Mark, I had 12 of them in my last setup, they never let me down, as they grow they display fantastic colour with there shine.... They will look even better when they get the adult shape and distingtive pinched nose, I might have to get some more come to think of it now to go with my blue rainbows I have :thumbup:

Gary Nelson said:
They are cracking fish Mark, I had 12 of them in my last setup, they never let me down, as they grow they display fantastic colour with there shine.... They will look even better when they get the adult shape and distingtive pinched nose, I might have to get some more come to think of it now to go with my blue rainbows I have :thumbup:

Gary do you think that they would go well with Celebes Rainbows ?
(Hope Mark wont mind me asking on his thread....)

Gary Nelson said:

Yes I would think so, although I have never had any myself.... they should complement each other nicely though - it looks like mark has the males on his pics... they have the red band on their fin, where as the females have a more orange/yellow band and dont get as big, having said that the males don't get huge.

Antipofish said:

Go for it guys. I'm reading a learning to. My fish knowledge is appalling.

Here's another W/C shot.

7757322270_4eee9dbc54_b.jpg
fts-water by saintly's pics, on Flickr

Cheers Ian. I look forward to adding more.

Here's a small tip when planting long stems.

Sometimes when we recieve plants like rotala they can often be long. In aquafleurs case, maybe 10 inches long. When they are like this i always double my plant mass by cutting them in half and planting the crown part of the stem behind the lower part (with no crowns)

Rest assured the lower part with no crown will in time, produce new crowns like below....These were unsightly last week, but in 7 days they've started to bush. :thumbup:

7757961452_b39cb14697_b.jpg
lower-stems by saintly's pics, on Flickr

Good tip Mark :thumbup: If you were to cut the original stem a lot closer to the ground level, would it create TWO new crowns or only the one ? Im often confused about what will happen. Cheers.

It'll always produce 2 new crowns from the node point. This is how you eventually create a bush or thicket as it's known.

Often with rotala species, they're always willing to produce multiple crowns from lower down the stem.

Amazing looking fish indeed, always my favorites from the rainbow family, and they stay small.

Good tip with the stems.. :) one to surely follow. :)

Do you plant them in bunches or individual stems?

Back