• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120L Eleocharis Parvula tank

The lights that Maristo has are T5 and not T8. However, I still remain baffled since Maristo seems to be doing everything correctly.

-CO2 is high and borderline lethal to the fish and also accompanied by liquid carbon so I believe the CO2 is more than adequate in this tank.
-The dosing of macro and micro fertilisers seems to be correct but to be safe he even overdoses some times. (Maristo please provide more information on this matter)
-The light as much as it is should promote growth and not inhibit it.

I myself do not know what is wrong and would much like to find out so please go on and make any suggestions you might have. It is disappointing to see the before and after pictures where it can be clearly seen that the bio-load has diminished significantly.

This is most likely a result of poor flow and distribution. Adding more light will have fatal consequences. The spraybar should be mounted on the back wall and the flow rate needs to improve.

Whenever there is a situation of toxic levels of CO2 plus loss of tissue this means poor flow/distribution.

Cheers,

A good powerhead would do the job?

Furthermore, with bad circulation wouldn't that mean good growth in certain areas and bad in others?

Thanks

Hello,
Yes, powerheads are often used to supplement flow ad as long as they are well placed they will do a good job.

Bad circulation means bad circulation. There is never a guarantee that anything will be good at any place. It's pot luck.

Cheers,

Hi ceg4048,

where would you recommend the powerhead to be placed?

Thanks

Hi mate,
In order to supplement and to therefore amplify the flow of the spraybar, a powerhead must be placed in a location where it's flow output is parallel to, and in the same direction as the flow of the spraybar. That can be just below/above the spraybar or alongside of the bar depending on the spacing in the tank. What you want to avoid is having the flow of the powerhead opposing, skewing, or colliding with the flow of the spraybar. Try different placements that are consistent with this principle to see which works best.

Cheers,

From the picture below, it can be seen that a powerhead has been added under the spray bar but also the spray bar was turned to face slightly downwards. Correct positioning of powerhead or should it be changed? Suggestions?

EE1399A1-B26F-4A04-A653-A769330B088B-2612-00000100FCAD814B_zpse78a4259.jpg

Thanks

hi mate,
Yes, if the pump is placed in the center then that is a good starting location. There is no advantage in pointing the flow downwards. This defeats the flow pattern we are trying to achive. Everything should be horizontal to start with, but of course, every tank is different. Experiment with minor tweaks and see what works best.

Cheers,

Back