• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

125 litre "All the gear, no idea" Juwel rio tank

JamesD

Hello, might as well start a Journal.

It has been a rather fast learning curve and have probably made 90% of the mistakes everyone has made that is new to aquascaping.

It has been fun and have had a lot of help (thanks to Richard at Aqua essentials) and I think I am beginning to get to grips with planted aquariums!

Next thing is to crack the photography side of things

Tank: Juwel Rio 125 litre
Filter: JBL CristalProfil E1500
Lighting: 2x28w T5 Arcadia Plant Pro
CO2: 3 bubbles per second
Diffuser: UP inline
Daily dosing of: Liquid CO2, Aqua Nourish and Aqua Nourish+

I started with this

5881566035_1e1b71ee95_b.jpg

And so far have ended with this (probably 2 weeks growth from the rescape)

aquarium4.jpg
aquarium3.jpg
aquarium2h.jpg
aquarium1u.jpg

Not really sure where I am trying to take this but I am happy with the results so far. I need to do something on the right hand side of the tank. I thought about HC but might just get some more hair grass to fill it in.

Some of the growth has surprised me too. In some cases I have trimmed it back and had almost 2cm growth in 24hrs. Hack,slash and replant has really worked for me, doubling the number of plants in a week!

I have followed a strict water change routine, 40% everyday for the first week, then 40% every other day for 2nd week, now every 3 days and finally every 4.

That's lovely mate!

Actually really really nice. I agree with alister about more grass on the right, also some stems background centre, ad some thing red background off centre left.

I'd be pleased with myself if Id created this so give yourself a pat on the back haha

I've purchased some more plants to fill in the gaps. I will have a bit of a re-arrange tonight.

It is strange as in the flesh the aquarium looks a lot better than it does on the photos.

This is a crackin little scape mate.

It appears your doing everything right.

I'm currently running a juwal 180 as a side project. I'm using he juwal 'day' bulbs! They're incredible for green plants!

Had a bit of a re-arrange and added some more plants. I am not 100% sure about the red, I think it acts as too much of a focal point. I will leave them in for now.

Some additional growth on other plants over the past 3 days too

I decided I will just fill in the area on the right with some more hair-grass. Need to order some this week

I dunno what it is, I just bought 3 different types of red looking plants from the LFS!

There is another plant behind it, it's the same height at the moment

that looks like a Alternanthera reineckii, and a good specimen at that, i hope you can keep its's colour. Looks really nice where it is, love your tank.

Some of the new plants are really starting to turn red, looks cool

After being bit by a zombie and finding it hard to do the routine maintenance I managed to do a quick trim of plants with my left hand.

(thumb nailed as it pretty gross)

I really need to invest in some remote flash guns

It hurts!

Nikon D90, I have a 35mm F1.8, 55-200mm f4-5.6 and a 18-105mm f3.5-5.6.

I really need to get some remote flash guns at the very least. Those photo's look slight better as I am using the flash but I need to angle it so it doesn't reflect in the glass!

Then maybe some light defusing backing for the tank and some lights.

spyder said:
Could you grab a shot of the cabinet + equipment?

Loads of room once you get rid of the shelf and move the plug sockets out the way.

I can't be bothered to tidy it up much more than that.

Back