• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Looks great Al, I can't help feel that there's something missing in that gap on the left, just where you have the rock. Why not pack that with java fern?

It's looking great mate. I bet the choco's are happy!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks lee. Yes they are really settled in and using every bit of space In the tank to swim in. I think they prefer the size of this and they come up to me every time im near the tank.

This is epic, you think it looks small until you notice the tank makes that fx strainer look tiny. Top job Al.
Too kind mate too kind. Ha ha yeah I didnt realise how tiny they looked until you mentioned it. Ive made clear acrylic inlets for both fx6s and am trying to make the acrylic outlets more lily pipe. Problem is I dont want velocity too much as theyll just hide but at the same time its such a big bloody tank that flow everywhere is a struggle.

Looks great Al, I can't help feel that there's something missing in that gap on the left, just where you have the rock. Why not pack that with java fern?

Hiya mate. Thanks ian and appreciate your feedback. Do you mean the piece of petrified wood that's off centre up on the mound??? Ive got 2 echinodorus aquartica up just above the two bits now and some more parva flowing down and around the wood at the front.
Where abouts do you mean.
I want to keep a little open substrate at the front left

It's looking fab mate! I'd love a tank like that :) if you ever have any trimmings of the maiden hair I'd be interested in buying a tiny bit off you please. I'm after something to grow on the exposed bits of the manzi - think this would be ideal?

Sorry gary I missed quoting this. Thanks mate. If you want a cutting drop me a pm mate and ill send you some out for free

Hey Al, it's not on the actual substrate, it's in that little nook. Where the valley leads up to the wood. I was think nig more around or on the base of the wood.

This is very minor though mate, still looks ace!

Simply brilliant Alastair.
Thanks sanj, hopefully have a nice lush garden like yours in around ermmmmm 4 years time ;)
Hey Al, it's not on the actual substrate, it's in that little nook. Where the valley leads up to the wood. I was think nig more around or on the base of the wood.

This is very minor though mate, still looks ace!

Think im having a blondo moment mate.. still cant picture where you mean

hopefully have a nice lush garden like yours in around ermmmmm 4 years time
youll have another tank in 6 months :p
looks good though mate, what you got hiding round the back that is yet to show itself?
windelov looks better in its new home.. more natural. im just not a fan of it.
maybe some mircrosorum mini around the gaff would add a little detail?? just a thought..

will look stunning in 6 months or so..

It's looking ace already Alistair.

If I can make a comment on composition however - you've very cleverly created at least 9 hardscape lines which all lead the eye to the same place in the tank:

sxac.jpg

Furthermore, that spot is almost bang on a major intersection of the golden ratio, making it an extremely powerful focal point for the tank.

But there's nothing there!

It's crying out for a big focal plant so much that it makes my eyes hurt :p

I think that may be the spot in was talking about but I'm note sure, maybe a couple more arrows would help ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

If I can make a comment on composition however - you've very cleverly created at least 9 hardscape lines which all lead the eye to the same place in the tank:

sxac.jpg

Furthermore, that spot is almost bang on a major intersection of the golden ratio, making it an extremely powerful focal point for the tank.

^^^this Alastair.

I think Belem grass would be ideal for this foreground area.
It'll make a nice long term rug.

Some other plants around the edges of the wood like you have on the right side, those crypts look good.
The Belem grass will match well and it does get nice and dense, even in the plain sand.

If you decide to moss the wood, this will give a very old aged look, or you can leave the wood clean if you want to highlight the wood itself.
Blyxa japonica in the rear perhaps, or if you want stems and swords, you could use those and trim them more often.
The H. tennellus will thicken and make a nice lawn as well.

sxac.jpg

Ha ha thanks Tom. Appreciate you putting that up.
I kind of thought Ian was meaning this area, and your right it is crying out for a big focal plant.
The photo I put up was one taken prior to me adding the rest of what I needed to.
Right bang on where the arrows point to is a really nice E.Reni but just below this on the ridge below is a beautiful Leganandra Meeboldii Red which will be a big focal plant as it colours up and grows out. Never tried this species before but Google images show it looking really nice.
I was actually editing the picture on my phone with some squiggles to see where in meant but you got there with a much more prominent pointer ;)

I think that may be the spot in was talking about but I'm note sure, maybe a couple more arrows would help ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
I think you should place a gnome right in the g spot....just to make everyone happy ;)

In terms of focal plants I think of Echinodorus, but maybe that is a bit too obvious...
Ive got a garden gnome Sanj ha ha. Might just do that for a fun photo.
I think Belem grass would be ideal for this foreground area.
It'll make a nice long term rug.

Some other plants around the edges of the wood like you have on the right side, those crypts look good.
The Belem grass will match well and it does get nice and dense, even in the plain sand.

If you decide to moss the wood, this will give a very old aged look, or you can leave the wood clean if you want to highlight the wood itself.
Blyxa japonica in the rear perhaps, or if you want stems and swords, you could use those and trim them more often.
The H. tennellus will thicken and make a nice lawn as well.

Hi Tom,
Belem grass or eleocharis so mini is actually in there now coming from the valley downwards but obviously don't have enough to carry it all the way.

Funny you mention moss, as since Ive had this tank planted I have had 3 different varieties of moss attached to the large oak piece as I want it to look aged but for some peculiar reason none have faired well at all. The Xmas moss is just barely holding its colour along the main trunk of wood. Never had problems with moss before.
I've got some cladaohora moss which I'm trying now to see if that holds well but I wanted the wood covered in moss really.
I've got e. Reni, ocelot and Barthii at the back of the tank which you can't see properly from the angle that photo was taken and some e. Aquartica..

Looking good mate.

I concur with Tom's focal point idea.

Thanks mate. Glad you think so. Hopefully the next photos I get up will show the additional planting I've done

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Xmas moss is your best bet, can handle high or low KH's.
Good CO2= good moss growth.

Grass and ferns are pretty though, so the Moss would be the canary in the mine.

Back