• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

15W LED for a Low Tech Tank?

Emyr

Sorry to be another one asking/checking/asking for thoughts about lighting levels but I really want to check this before setting out and then experiencing problems.

Would my 15W Aqua FX tube (Apparently equivalent to a 24W T5 tube) be too much light for a 70L low tech set up, no co2, just excel with mosses, java ferns etc. I plan on making a little wooden case for the tube to be housed in and just rest on the top of the tank. I want to have pieces of mantanzania wood and im worried that because they will be close to the light that algae will grow on them.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions greatly appreciated, Thanks.

I think if it is the equivalent of a 24w T5 in a 70L, guessing the water would be around 40cm deep. This would be classes as low lighting suitable for lowtech.

Low light requirements are between 0.3 – 0.5 watts per litre of water.
Medium light requirements are between 0.5 – 0.8 watts per litre of water
High light requirements are upwards of 0.8 watts per litre of water.

It is difficult to judge LED suitability though because the wattage is different compared to light output of a standard fluorescent. On the website they claim that it is the equivalent to a 24W T5 but the light intensity seems much stronger then when i put just one 24W on there.

I will be adding a lot of hardscape so the plants will not be at the bottom of the tank but more in the middle and all over attached to rocks and wood etc.

I was reading through George Farmers Scree Evolution Journal and he has X2 30W TMC tiles on his 60L which are located 30Cm above the water and I think he even ran them at only 50% and that was high lighting when he measured the par of the light at the substrate which effectively it was only 30W but 30Cm above.

So my lighting will be a quarter of this but located right on top of the tank, Im not sure it would be Low lighting for an LED?

Back