• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

178.70.60 - Castle’s semi stable ecosystem

castle

What great journal doesn’t start off with a wall of text 😎

I’ve been dreaming of being in a somewhat stable position for a while, you know, settled in a new home, babies no longer tiny, no one has died in a while, that kind of place. I think with so much going on, and with a lot of choice for tank size a plan has felt really hard to settle on. Yet, I woke up today and was like “you know what, I should pull the trigger”.

There is so much I want to keep, so many plants to try. Is this aquarium about fish? Or plants? How big should it be, should I put it here, there or here? What about hardscape?

But as I’ve said somewhere before, an aquarium needs to feel like it’s part of the room. I’ve been a bit everywhere with choice. YouTube and Instagram haven’t been helpful. I don’t want to waste money either, as a custom big tank is a commitment. I have 3 possible locations, varying from 120cm to 240cm, and the preliminary concept for a fish house. Mind is firing in many places.

On a personal note; it’s been a year.

I’m not set on a size, yet, but most likely 150x70x60cm (l,w,h). Quite big, but it’s about the framing in the room. The width may reduce to 60, depending on the vibe. I really liked the dimensions of a an ikea cot, adding on 30cm for “luck”.

One other thing, I’ll probably have a euro brace. 5cm deep, I think this will be 19mm glass too. I will also get black silicone, purely as I like the border aspect. I can remember pulling over my dad’s aquarium as a child by hanging off it; I was lucky.

I’m leaning towards an ecosystem tank, but my water is very soft. I haven’t had much success with higher inverts in the water. My water from tap is about ~40tds.

Let me contradict myself fast, I also want to add a big fish like geophagus or biodatama to this tank one day, so size has to be larger. Later on in its life, probably salty. It’s a deep tank, I could also have angels 🥳 or 250 neons.

I guess I don’t need to get into the nitty gritty now. But as an idea, I want to blend what we saw in teapot, and bucket of mud plus some success with my own tank, (drilling holes). There’s a lovely tank at ADA Poland which also is an inspiration. It just needs to feel natural. Edvet had a massive South American tank, and I think that’s more aligned with my thoughts, probably less fish tho, not really the same.

Evil twin: said:
Wouldn’t a 120x60x60 next to a 60x60x60 look so nice with one tank keeping your neons and checkers, whereas the next could house some pretty Paros?

I’ll let you know when I’ve decided 👌

I have a WaterBox 6025. 1536 x 653 x 550mm. It’s perfect for my purpose and the space in our house. My biggest fish is a 4” yoyo loach.

That said, I’d go bigger if I could. And, if I was trying to keep a medium sized cichlid like a Cupid I’d get a 6’/180cm tank. Also, 60cm is a tall tank. In addition to the 70cm depth, it’ll be really hard to get to anything in the center-back of the tank. Just keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to add a big fish like geophagus or biodatama to this tank one day,
I can tell you from personal experience that you won’t be able to add inverts with those fish. I added biotodoma to my tank with a colony of tiger shrimp. They decimated them in record time. They only have a small mouth and we’re far from fully grown however they still managed to eat a large amount of shrimp.

… I’d go bigger if I could. And, if I was trying to keep a medium sized cichlid like a Cupid I’d get a 6’/180cm tank. Also, 60cm is a tall tank. In addition to the 70cm depth, it’ll be really hard to get to anything in the center-back of the tank. Just keep that in mind.

Yeah this has been part of my problem, I can go bigger but whether or not I need to is another issue. I won’t be starting the tank with any fish greater than a few inches. I just need to be mindful of the future and make sure that any fish I might fancy can be housed.

I agree I won’t be able to reach the back easily but I want enough room for above water activities.

I can tell you from personal experience that you won’t be able to add inverts with those fish. I added biotodoma to my tank with a colony of tiger shrimp. They decimated them in record time. They only have a small mouth and we’re far from fully grown however they still managed to eat a large amount of shrimp.

I think this is part of the problem with a mind firing all over the place, I want so much. However every fish I have predates on shrimp 😬 and they would be expected to be part of the ecosystem. but I don’t really think this tank would house any larger chiclids, not initially. It’s all hardscape dependent.

I think we’ve settled on 160x70x60 with 6cm euro brace. 👍

I think we’ve settled on 160x70x60 with 6cm euro brace.

Hi all,

Just to give you a picture of how it will look this size, my colleague has 160x80x60h, made of 12mm thick glass with braces.

With a glass 19mm thick you don't need any braces. ADA 180x60x60 is made of 19mm thick glass. The thickness is rising with length and height. To be honest 15mm would be more than enough and still you don't need braces. So if you will go for the size 160x70x60h cm and 19mm thick glass, definitely you do not need braces for it. Just to let you know, so you don't need to pay extra.

I have been gluing fish tanks before they started gluing side panels to the bottom. I have been gluing them on the top of the bottom glass. That was the standard that time. My biggest tank was made of 6mm glass, measuring : 130x60x50h cm, with braces, x2 stripes, 5cm width along but gaps on the ends ( 5cm ) and one 10 cm in the middle, from edge to edge. It was with me for over a year and then has been sold. Without braces it could be made of 10 mm thick glass.

Regards

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just to give you a picture of how it will look this size, my colleague has 160x80x60h, made of 12mm thick glass with braces.

With a glass 19mm thick you don't need any braces. ADA 180x60x60 is made of 19mm thick glass. The thickness is rising with length and height. To be honest 15mm would be more than enough and still you don't need braces. So if you will go for the size 160x70x60h cm and 19mm thick glass, definitely you do not need braces for it. Just to let you know, so you don't need to pay extra.

I have been gluing fish tanks before they started gluing side panels to the bottom. I have been gluing them on the top of the bottom glass. That was the standard that time. My biggest tank was made of 6mm glass, measuring : 130x60x50h cm, with braces, x2 stripes, 5cm width along but gaps on the ends ( 5cm ) and one 10 cm in the middle, from edge to edge. It was with me for over a year and then has been sold. Without braces it could be made of 10 mm thick glass.

Regards

Interesting post, thanks Kris. I lean on the side of caution. I agree this may end up being 15mm but I’ll need to do a couple more calculations. Just as I’m calculating force on glass from water I’m also calculating external forces, like my disabled mother leaning on the aquarium for support. Worst case calculations. My euro brace will be 4 pieces with no cross beams, so it will not have the total rigidity a classic braced tank would have.

I believe ADA tanks are a little weird, their tanks have a low safety score in general imo. I’m happy with them up to the 90p, after that I’m not convinced 🤷‍♂️

Interesting post, thanks Kris. I lean on the side of caution. I agree this may end up being 15mm but I’ll need to do a couple more calculations. Just as I’m calculating force on glass from water I’m also calculating external forces, like my disabled mother leaning on the aquarium for support. Worst case calculations. My euro brace will be 4 pieces with no cross beams, so it will not have the total rigidity a classic braced tank would have.

I believe ADA tanks are a little weird, their tanks have a low safety score in general imo. I’m happy with them up to the 90p, after that I’m not convinced
Of course it's your choice and only you know what might occur to the tank. I just gave you information what I have and my experience. There are different circumstances in every house.

Regards

I believe ADA tanks are a little weird, their tanks have a low safety score in general imo. I’m happy with them up to the 90p, after that I’m not convinced

What sort of safety score are you after?

My WB6025 has a safety factor of ~7.5, being built out of 15mm glass.

Keep in mind that length and depth are more or less irrelevant; they don’t add to the pressure from the water column. Just height. If you want more safety, go thicker glass or shorter height. Or just run less water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aiming for 10 for me , I don’t really want to see notable glass deflection as ultimately while within tolerance I believe this adds greater strain on the silicone 😬

Aiming for 10 for me , I don’t really want to see notable glass deflection as ultimately while within tolerance I believe this adds greater strain on the silicone 😬

If you're worried about strain on silicone, going with 15mm instead of 12mm, and 45 degree mitered cuts makes sense. Increases the maximum theoretical cross section of the silicone from 12mm to 21mm.

Ordered 178x70x60 😬

will share more when it’s here, in months.

19mm, but with a 19mm piece in the corners siliconed in, if that makes sense. A4L calls them armoured joints

Back