• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1st attempt at a low tech planted tank

Ajm200

Having managed to keep a few plants alive in various tanks over the past few years I've decided to get brave and setup a proper planted tank so this is my first attempt.. Having seen the wonderful tanks in these journals I'm a little nervous but hopefully I'll get some good guidance here

The tank
Fluval Roma 90
Dimensions : 60cm (w) x 35cm (d) x 50cm (h)
Capacity : 90 Ltrs
Lighting : 2 x 15w T8 (TBC) + natural light from nearby patio door
Filter : 1x Eheim 130 550l/h + 1 x Fluval U3 600l/h
Heater : 150w

Substrate
Base layer: inert gravel mixed with vermiculite and zeolite
Top layer: Natural black gravel

Hardscape: 1x Bogwood (nicknamed the elephant by the kids)
P1010119.jpg

P1010118.jpg

I intend to use moss and java fern on the wood and plants from my other tanks. Tank has just arrived off to check it out.

Set the tank up last night. Took about 5 hours in all and about a third of that was spent washing the gravel. Good job we aren't on a water meter.

Wet vermiculite sticks to everything so I made a real mess mixing it with the gravel and zeolite for the base layer but it was fun in a childish kind of way. The final mix is about 50% vermiculite so I topped it with 3" gravel to make sure it stays in place.

The bogwood is too big for the tank (well spotted Chris!) but it was chosen by my 3 yr old so I've tried to make it work. It has a lot of sawn edges as you'll see from the photos so I ended up adding another bit of wood to hide the worst with ferns and moss to disguise the rest. Didn't bother with much of a slope to the gravel as the whole tank is dominated by the wood so slopes aren't really going to add a sense of depth.

This am I added some swords, crypts and anubias ( clueless about the types though :oops: ). They've been growing in my other tanks for up to 2 yrs so hopefully won't get much larger. The setup doesn't allow me to hide the big internal filters but funds won't stretch to an external canister at the mo. I'll probably add another tall sword plant on the right to hide the fluval filter when I tear down the third tank.
I will post some photos soon. I'm no photographer and the tank is alongside a big patio door with sunlight streaming in so I'm only capturing reflections at present.

Re: 1st attempt at a low tech planted tank with photos

So this is what I ended up with.

P1010154.jpg

Nothing like the beautiful tanks I've seen on here but hopefully low maintenance. First real attempt at a planted tank so should be happy. Family love it but the majority are under 4. Fish are happier and displaying better colours. Odessa barbs fins are yellow for the first time and the adult ram is looking very purple so guess that's a thumbs up from them.

Might need to add more foreground plants just don't know what given the combo of low light and BN catfish. External filter on Xmas list... (Probably won't happen but I can wish). In the meantime need to look at hiding the internal filters somehow. Too big to go behind the wood.

Would love to have your opinions (good and bad), any advice or suggestion for improvement.

what do you keep then?

I'm getting stick from my tree yr old for not including a red Ferrari he brought back from the petshop. He'll soon forget though

Not sure about vallis. As there is a lot natural light from the patio door I might have to resort to some easycarbo if the algae. When my shrimp and snail tank was there a couple of yrs ago that side was always green with algae but it was less of an issue as the shrimp colony thrived on it. I think easy carbo melts vallis. Got a couple of massive narrow leaf sword type plants in DS's biorb that might give a similar effect and will cope with low light... After all they are in a biorb!

You've got me thinking....

I've got a few Red eye tetras and a few black neons and 2 lonely ottos, to be honest I'm in this for the plants, I like the fish they add alot to the tank but the plants are why I do it. I want fish but not so they detract from the plants :lol:

I had a similar experience with my father inlaw encouraging the kids to get sea chests and gone fishing signs :lol: (to be fair he was doing it to wind me up, it's funny now but at the time :lol: )

your right about the easy carbo and vallis... although I did read somewhere about hardwater/easy carbo and valis being ok. which is actually my experience of ec and vallis. I have really (really) hard water.

narrow leaf sword sounds like a good option (cheap too) :thumbup:

Chris

Went looking for vallis today. Came away with pogostemon helfrei and a mystery bulb. Hope it is red tiger lotus. Planted the bulb in the rear right of the tank and the PH in th FG. Both are meant to cope with low light. If the PH gets too big I'll put it into the 5 footer that should be arriving soon. Got 8 plantlets in 2 pots. One is big though. If I cut the top off and plant it will it root or rot? One for the plants forum maybe.

Added vallis across the back as suggested. Not in great condition so not sure what to do with it. All leaves have damage/melt and are a bit yellow. Do I leave it or cut it back? Wish I knew more..

Ajm200 said:
Added vallis across the back as suggested. Not in great condition so not sure what to do with it. All leaves have damage/melt and are a bit yellow. Do I leave it or cut it back? Wish I knew more..
If the leaves are dying just cut them at the base, also do not cure the leaves shorted or they will also melt., good start, keep the photos coming ;)

Great. Thanks for the tip and the encouragement! Off to give the vallis a crewcut.

I'll get more photos done soon. Too busy with my hands in the tank though. Must be getting bad as this am my 3yr old told me to "get your hands out of the fish tank mummy, you not a fish you know!"

Had to rip this out as it had been overtaken by more algae than you can shake a stick at.

Didn't ask for help as I saw the cause to be

1 seriously dodgy filter that stopped and started at random intervals (motor replaced under warranty)
2 massively oversized bogwwod kindly donated by the kids (now adorning a shelf in the garage)
3 slightly overstocked tank. Dealt with by DS dosing 90l with 250ml easycarbo. (yes you read that right. Easycarbo was stored 6ft up but never underestimate the resourcefulness of a determined 3yr old who can stack chairs and stools to reach his goal). Now no livestock so no Ammonia to mix with the nutrients for algae.

having removed the 'issues' (except 3yr old). Have replaced the
bogwood with 3 much smaller bits. Plan to pick up some redmoor when dh is not on tow.

Will post pics soon

Back