• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

200-liter Riparium Setup for Synodontis Catfish

Here's another shot of one of the Ilyodon furcidens.

22-i-10-ilyodon-furcidens-i-m.jpg

This really is my favorite ever aquarium fish. I mean to take some time to get some pictures of them.

I love these fish. They make such a great display. They do get to be rather large (~10cm) but they could be great for a nature aquarium style setup because their coloration is subdued, but they have very pretty finnage and many small metallic gold flecks that catch the light. They love to eat algae.

I collected the parental fish for this colony a few years ago in Mexico.

http://entomology.wisc.edu/~dbiggs/pesca/index.html

puente_comp_corco_II_web_s.jpg

I got a few update pictures tonight. Here is a quartering-from-above view.

27-i-10-tank-iii-m.jpg

That looks cool, wish i had space to have a go at a tank like this!

That green/red leaf in the middle looks great!

Thanks Andy. I like that centerpiece plant too. It is a Cyrtosperma johnstonii.

I just formatted a full tank shot.

27-i-10-tank-iv-m.jpg

I got a few more quick pictures today. That plants are all looking happy enough. I think that the Cyrtosperma johnstonii and Pilea cardierei go together nicely.

6-ii-10-cyrtosperma-johnstonii-i-m.jpg

I am setting up for some full-tank shots. Here is a view from the side.

6-ii-10-tank-i-m.jpg

Mark, Nope, that background plant is Cyperus alternifolius var. gracilis. It makes excellent riparium background foliage. I have wondered about Juncus repens, but haven't tried it yet. Have you ever seen it in emersed growth? How tall was it?

James, No, the plants in this setup are all selections that do well with drier air. I only sometimes mist them for picture-taking because the water nicely accentuates the colors.

Interesting...that sounds like a good size. I should watch out for it here and try to give a shot sometime. I think I noticed that you have it there among the AquaFleur selections.

AquaFleur state their Juncus repens can get to 50cm, but I'm not sure if that's when in emersed or submerged form. They arrive emersed, some around 10cm, others much bigger.

Well like I say that would be a good one to try. The grassy-type plants are the best for developing the riparium background foliage.

I have another shot of the tank from another angle.

6-ii-10-tank-iii-m.jpg

I tried to get some more pictures of the C. cutteri cichlid, but didn't really put in enough time. This is the best result that I got.

6-i-10-cryptoheros-cutteri-i-m.jpg

You can see that he has colored up more. I got this nice detail with a crop of that image.

6-i-10-cryptoheros-cutteri-ii-m.jpg

I imagine you ought to be able to acquire that plant there in the UK. It is a pretty common specimen for greenhouses and conservatories.

I finally got around to painting the wall a better color, plain flat white. Here is a quick post-paint shot.

9-ii-10-tank-i-b.jpg

I'm working on setting up for a new full-tank shot tomorrow night.

I can't stop taking pictures of these plants. They are looking real good right now. Here's another view.

10-ii-10-tank-i-m.jpg

Here is detail cropped from that image.

10-ii-10-tank-ii-b.jpg

Looking great D, I love the look. So like a lush tropical pond-side,. What is the stem on the far right?

Thanks TBRO. The "lush tropical pond-side" is what I had in mind for it. Those two plants over on the far right are Echinodorus cordifolius 'Tropica Marble Queen' and an undetermined Pilea sp..

Back