• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

220 litres of failed ambitions - open to constructive criticism

D

Darwin88

This is a journal of my current 220 litre planted tank. This project started in September 2012 and struggled on until late January 2013 where I decided to break the tank down and seek help. All observations and criticisms welcome!

Look forward to more information.....and photos too of course! :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

This was my first attempt at a planted aquarium. I had this tank running for approximately 12 months without any significant problems. I only broke this tank down after taking a job 320 miles further North, but it was this tank that sparked my interest in growing aquatic plant displays. While building this tank I had no inspiration from others as I was admittedly an ignorant fish keeper - I bought a tank and did exactly what the nice LFS lady to told me to (fill it with water, wait a day, don't put too many fish in it at once). I shudder to think how many other people have accepted similar advice and consequently tortured their new fish with massive ammonia exposure....

Fortunately I did my due diligence and read up on the subject. My fish were spared that particular fate, but my aquarium decor was not spared the fate of the 'sunken roman ruins/disproportionate pirate ship' display. Unfortunately no photo's remain of my first days in aquarium keeping, so you'll just have to imagine the plastic jungle that inhabited my dining room for 2 months :sick:

Anyway, I'd never heard of a planted aquarium, or an aquascape, but I managed to come up with this...

8419858112_a5de2621a3_c.jpg

I didn't think it was too bad to say I'd had no idea about co2 injection, lighting or ferts dosing. I put plants in water, did water changes, vacuumed sand, fed fish and occasionally pruned a tyrannic amazon sword but that was about it. I had a few small green spot algae outbreaks but nothing major. In fact, this tank remained spotless with minimal effort for 12 months. This photo was taken after I'd already accepted the above mentioned job, moved 320 miles away, left the tank in the less-than-enthusiastic hands of 'our lass' and returned 6 weeks later to find the tank in no worse a condition than when I left it, apart from the sand needing a spot of hoovering. The tank spec was as follows:

120 litre glass aquarium of unknown brand
90cm x 30cm x 45cm
Arcadia T8 double controller powering 2 x 25w plant gro tubes (I think)
Eheim classic 2213 exernal canister
Hydor 200w external filter
Play sand substrate
Anubias barteri 'nana' - Microsorum pteropus - Echinodorus amazonicus (I think, these we idents guessed from the internet - P@H un-labeled)

Anyway, this tank filled me with ill-deserved confidence. After the company I had moved so far to work for went bankrupt, I was forced to return home to Yorkshire, and decided it was time to upgrade to something more ambitious. (Mainly motivated by the chunk of redundancy pay in my bank account and a desire to improve my mood with retail therapy :D) The following is an account of my experiences with this new tank. It was only after I had bought the new tank that I began to learn about the technicalities of high energy planted aquariums. And it's been one big headache ever since...

Thanks Ady - after reading the above, what are you thoughts on this tank being so easy to look after? Is it normal for low tech set ups to be as straight forward as this or was this a complete fluke?

Not surprised that was easy to look after - you were really "pure" low tech (as in not even ferts), and had very robust plants in there. Not a bad scape either!

Thanks, I appreciate that. I agree, looking back I know the Java Ferns and Anubias were probably a good choice for such a set up. They really didn't ask much of me and stayed pretty clean and healthy for the most part. These would later become the bane of the new tank as they were BBA magnets. The Anubias especially. I'll go into my algae issues in the new tank shortly.

Thanks Ady - after reading the above, what are you thoughts on this tank being so easy to look after? Is it normal for low tech set ups to be as straight forward as this or was this a complete fluke?
Hi mate,
Well I reckon it's as simple as low lighting intensity combined with good maintenance that kept this spick and span. Low fish load will have not stressed the system and this combined with a good filter will have kept organic wastes low and plant health high. The plants chosen are hardy species well suited to low tech approach systems. Your local water supply and fish feeding/waste will have provided the minimal nutrition required, although I'm slightly surprised at the extent of which the swords grew given no substrate nutrient was offered.....but hey, they have big leaves to suck in food!
The scape itself is really nice too, there is good a good overall composition and placement of hardscape, which bodes well for your new ventures :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks for the feedback, I expect with the help of this forum I should be able to do something nice with the new tank! Thanks for the compliment, it's the confidence booster I need right now :D

And the swords were fine, but now you mention it I did start dosing Profito towards the end on the advice of Richard at AE. That was only for the last 2 months though so they did well to hold up for the previous 10 months.

Now, where to start with the new tank - ah yes - greed...

Chapter 1 - Greed

Yes, I'm greedy. The name of this first chapter refers to the reason I bought a new tank. The old tank, seen above, was 36" long and 12" wide. But it's sat more than comfortably in an alcove in our dining room which measures just over 40" wide and 15" deep. My greedy nature saw this as an excuse for expansion...why let all those square inches of space go to waste? We could convert them into cubic liters of water volume!

So I ordered a bespoke 40" x 14" x 24" glass aquarium from ND Aquatics. I decided to splash out on an optiwhite front (given the nature of its position this is the only viewing angle available) and chose the black silicone. The chap at the other end of the phone told me to expect a delivery in 4-6 weeks time. Plenty of time to build a cabinet.

I'm not a joiner nor a carpenter, but I am fond of a spot of DIY. This was an excellent excuse to start scribbling designs down on bits of paper, which I no longer have, else I would have posted them on here for anyone who might be interested. So here are some photos of the cabinet coming together:

8418759895_41f79679ae_c.jpg

This is the basic frame I went for using pretty light softwood, it's only 34mm square, apart from the 4 corner leg supports which were 47mm square. I calculated the the tank would weigh close to 250kg when fully loaded but the leg supports plus sheet material bracing would give me all the structural integrity I needed. I wish I could give you a step by step guide but when I'm involved in things I forget to take photo's periodically (but do remember to stop for coffee frequently :D)

I didn't even bother mitering the joints, I just square butted everything. I built the frame first, with the bottom rectangle being identical to the top but with a sheet of MDF to act as the base of my cabinet. Only after the frame was built did I fire some fixings into the walls, I wanted the weight to be transferred into the floor and any wall fixings to act as stabilizers only.

8418759669_7c74559034_c.jpg

Before I started paneling out with MDF I added a few mitered diagonal braces to add more stability. The whole thing felt a lot less flexible after these went in.

8418758997_fd4b95e96c_c.jpg

Yes, we've jumped ahead a bit. I used MDF to panel everything, making a central cupboard for equipment and shelves at each side for books (it was a compromise to please the missus - one which I'd later regret as the cupboard leaves very little room for maneuver :()
I used mouldings to cover all my joins and to add some interest to the doors. A pot of polyfiller later and the whole thing is ready for painting. The design isn't exactly sleek and contemporary, but neither is our house. This blends in nicely with the 60 year old furnishings everywhere else in the house :rolleyes:.

8418758531_0a35758e3e_c.jpg

After priming, just so you can inside the cupboard. Note to anyone else using MDF...make sure you buy a decent primer, preferably MDF specific stuff. It's not cheap but it's better than watching every coat disappear into the wood. And to be honest, don't be cheap like me and use MDF in the first place. It's ultra absorbent, probably not the best choice to site beneath 220 liters of water. Use quality plywood or coated chipboard.

8419855906_dd66351624_c.jpg

Finished! But not the best photo of it. I took the dust sheet off after the final gloss coat dried, turned my back and the missus was using it as a coffee table already. *sigh* :rolleyes:

Another note is not to spill rose wine on recently dried gloss. She was banned from this corner of the dining room until further notice.

8418757617_ba5804770c_c.jpg

The tank arrived!!! Isn't it beautiful? This was my first brand new aquarium. I'll never forget the combined smell of curing silicone and shrink wrapping.

I'll take this opportunity to recommend ND aquatics. Very helpful, they quoted 4-6 weeks but this was delivered on the first day of the 4th week. The silicone work is immaculate. It's no braceless ultra-tank but it suits its position and purpose well, and for £200 inc delivery I really couldn't complain (bearing in mind it was made to measure and delivered from Birmingham to West Yorks by the company themselves).

It was at this point that it all began to go wrong.

"It was at this point that it all began to go wrong"

Eek, that sounds ominous.
I'm hoping that the four points of contact to the floor provided enough spreading of the load?? And that you leak tested the new tank outside before filling....
....I'm really hoping it didn't go that badly wrong!!!

Only other issue I could see is access space at the rear of the tank for pipework etc, but its difficult to see how far it sits from the wall from the pictures.
I'm intrigued now....

Cheerio,
Ady

Chapter 2 - A Fresh Start

After the cuts and bruises of building the cabinet had healed (I have the level of competence with tools that you'd expect from a chimpanzee - I can select and use tools, but do neither with great accuracy or grace) it was time to begin the tank set up. I had a head full of dreams from the aquascapes I had seen others create. By this point in my aquatic induction I had discovered PFK, and was completely blown over by the perfect scapes within it's pages. Of course I could achieve something similar, how hard could it be? A little creativity and perseverance would be all that's needed :cool:

Typically I wanted to find hardscape materials first, these were the interesting bits that I could be playing with while I think about technicalities. I used Aqua Essentials and got some Caribsea Eco Complete substrate, burmese pebbles, beach cobbles and Sumatra driftwood. I still needed to throw together a hood for the tank but I just couldn't wait to get started. The driftwood arrived first -

8419852964_74603c3e5a_c.jpg

The furry one is Flynn, an almost 3 year old border collie with a penchant for throwable objects. He sat and stared at the driftwood for a substantial amount of time before concluding that it would not leap out of the tank and initiate a game of fetch.

I'd seen a planted aquarium somewhere which used wood to create an effect of roots growing into a jungle stream and absolutely loved it. This is the look I had decided to go for. I'd also been a fan of my Java Ferns and Anubias in the previous tank so had hoped to colonize this driftwood with various epiphytes to create that ancient, overgrown look of a jungle. I faffed with it for ages before deciding that this tank would be nothing without lights and a hood so I decided to focus on hood design instead.

8418754691_34d5c941f7_c.jpg

Sorry, we've time travelled again. The hood wasn't too difficult, it was another rectangular frame with a moulding at the front and back to secure it onto the top of the tank. The lid was MDF with a moulding design around the edge to take the blandness out of it. I left cutouts at the back to accommodate filter hoses etc on.

By this point I hadn't given much thought to lights. My last light set up was purchased on a whim without any research, so this time I decided to educate myself first. I used the internet. I read the first thing that came up with the search 'what lights do I need to grow aquactic plants?' in Google. In the short, the answer was, as far as I could tell, 'As much as possible'.

After what was probably less than 5 minutes research, and it's probably worth mentioning for later that I hadn't read the bit at the bottom of the page about Co2, I bought an Arcadia T5 double light controller from Warehouse Aquatics. As for the tubes, I had decided to use a little creativity in my lighting and wanted to replicate something I'd seen in marine tanks. I wanted to create a spotlight effect to highlight a specific feature of the tank, so I bought 2 x 22" Plant pro tubes with the intention of siting them both at one end of the tank. You can almost tell from the above picture, the black background is heavily illuminated on the left hand side of the tank but slightly darker to the right.

8418754487_8d072f2343_c.jpg

So, this is the tank with lights, driftwood, substrate and pebbles. The smaller ones are the Burmese pebbles from AE with the larger ones being natural beach cobbles. Looking back, this is where my grasp of realistic aquascapes slipped. My main design ideas surrounded a deep, slow moving jungle river. But I randomly threw rounded cobbles in there. I'd paid for them. I was bloody well using them. The substrate is two bags of Caribsea Eco Complete from AE, which I quite like, apart from the annoying white chunks in it. Is this consistent with others experiences with this substrate? And how do other brands compare, like black flourite - is this completely black or slightly mixed? Oh, and excuse my reflection in the glass. I'm no photographer.

Now for some plants, to get the green blood flowing.

8419851894_c1234003a5_c.jpg

Firstly, no, that is not my intended filter in the bottom right. I snapped my Eheim impellar while cleaning it so while waiting for a replacement I was using this teeney weeney internal filter as a back up. The same goes for my heater - I have a Hydor external heater which obviously couldn't be used while the Eheim was awaiting new bits. You'll also notice the addition of bright gravel on the substrate - an attempt to ease the transition between substrate and pebbles. I didn't like it, but I didn't fancy picking it out bit by bit.
The plants were from Plants Alive upon recommendation from another forum (Sorry :() which seemed ok, but later I would blame them for the introduction of masses of algae and snails. As you can see there's Vallis, Indian Fern (not sure of the latin) and my trusty Java Ferns and Anubias tied to the driftwood.
I had finally got the tank running to an extent, and even had some plants in there. Now, if I told you that I still didn't know about Co2 infusion or proper fert dosing, would anyone like to hazard a guess at what happened over the following weeks?

:p

Eek, that sounds ominous. I'm hoping that the four points of contact to the floor provided enough spreading of the load?? And that you leak tested the new tank outside before filling.... ....I'm really hoping it didn't go that badly wrong!!! Only other issue I could see is access space at the rear of the tank for pipework etc, but its difficult to see how far it sits from the wall from the pictures. I'm intrigued now....

Ha! You're on the right track with the latter half of that. My greed for squeezing as much tank out of the space as possible does indeed cause problems later :p

ahhh man! What wattage were the tubes and how long did you have them on for each day?

I'm guessing your dog jumped in!!!'haha no but I can guess your plants wood and glass got covered in crappy algae! How long did you have to wait for the ehiem? And how many LPH was it?

By the sounds if things it looks like now from what I'm reading you hav learnt a ton from this experience, and given that you produced a very pleasing aquascape and what looks very promising I bet your next tank will be SUPER SICK YO!!!

Eheim's only a 2213 which I suspect has a LPH of 300 tops. I know. It was out of action for 3 days, the tank was freshly filled and planted and there was no livestock.

The tubes are 24 watt each I believe, and at this point I had decided a lengthy 10 hour photo-period would be the best for my plants. PAH! Yes, 10 points to you Nayr88, I had a magnificent green beard growing on my front glass.

By the sounds if things it looks like now from what I'm reading you hav learnt a ton from this experience, and given that you produced a very pleasing aquascape and what looks very promising I bet your next tank will be SUPER SICK YO!!!

Cheers mate, I really hope so. I've learned lots but I'm still way off getting it right. I'll be abusing this forum for answers until I can create something I can be pleased with :)

That's what it's here for :)

Well you can tell you will be using co2 and ferts next time, so that's half the battl!
The other half is FLOW!!!! Haha plenty of it, at least 10x turn over of your tank per hour, nice uniform flow not power heads battling against each other.
Also lighting. You don't need tons and if your flow was 10x and you had ferts ad co2 I think you would of been fine.

Chapter 3 - Welcome To The Jungle

The replacement impeller for the Eheim arrived so I could finally hook up the proper filtration system. I wish I'd had the insight's of Ady back then, because I was about to learn the consequences of my lust for tank volume.

8420817850_40a338e3b4_c.jpg

I apologise for the image quality, but if you squint you should be able to see that the top of the picture shows the gap between the wall and the tank, from a birdseye perspective. This gap measures 20mm. Which is what I had planned for when designing this tank/cabinet. This, as mathematics would lead me to believe, would permit a 16mm filter pipe to fit comfortably down the back of the tank. In reality, persuading a 16mm rubber tube to travel vertically down the back of a 600mm high tank without coiling up like an irate Cobra is no easy feat. In fact, it proved absolutely impossible.

I tried putting a garden cane down the length of tube to give some structure as I fed it down the back. This failed. :(
I tried attaching a piece of string to the end to guide it down the back of the tank. This failed. :mad:
I tried taking up smoking again to calm my rage at the lack of compliance this tube was showing me. This also failed. :rage:

In the end, I decided the only way forward was to drain the tank to a level in which I could safety slide it forward to allow me space to set up my tubing. It probably wouldn't surprise most of you that I had to drain the tank to within 100mm of water to be able to shift it. Joy.

The next challenge was to fit the shepherds hook and spray bar attachments that come with the Eheim Classic filters. The design of the glass braces on the tank left very little space for any intake/return pipes, which is the only thing I can fault the whole tank for. It probably won't be a problem on most peoples tanks who have the sense to allow plenty of tolerance around their tanks, but it certainly rained on my already sodden parade. In the end, with some extensive tinkering, I managed to fit both the intake and outtake to the left hand side of the tank. :)

8420818052_a96258af61_c.jpg

This was the equipment set up I managed to achieve. The observant among you will be able to point out the problems. Firstly, the heater is on the intake pipe, heating water before it enters the filter. This is because it wouldn't fit on the return pipe without looking a t*t. Secondly, the extension gang is in just the right place to catch splashes from the filter when disconnecting for cleaning. This will be addressed later, for now though, I just remember to wear rubber soles when faffing around in here :p.

8418753577_09d2ff23ef_c.jpg

So this is the tank with the Eheim set up complete. What a headache that was. But all the better for it, for me there is no contest when comparing internal and external equipment. There were no significant changes in the plants apart from the Vallis looking a bit pale. I was surprised at the lack of growth, from what I'd been told this plant was a weed. I end up pulling this out later as it looks tired and yellow, Richard at AE mentioned this is a hardwater lover - I'm on soft water so I decided there was no use trying to get the best out of it. Anyone else grown Vallis in very soft water?

Anyway, a few weeks down the line, this happens -

8419848798_53f6d38620_c.jpg

Most of my hardscape began accumulating green algae...would someone be able to tell me what kind of algae this is? Is it a kind of green spot algae? The driftwood, pebbles and glass were absolutely covered with it. The glass only looks clear on this photo because I was cleaning it every 2-3 days at this point. And the Assassin is there to control the hitchhikers who smuggled themselves in on the plants.

Back