• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

30 cm Nano Nature Scape

Hi Shaw.
How are the current results with the Chihiros A-Series? Still working well?

Thanks!

This little tank runs a Flexi mini. It works wonderfully. My 45 cm has the Chihiros. It is a very strong light, so in the beginning it can be a challenge to get things going well and I usually end up combating algae. Still have a little that peaks up if I don't stay on the weekly maintenance. The 45 cm is developing really well though, the HC has filled in thickly, the downoi is bushing out well ( I replaced the C. parva with it because there was just too much light for the C. parva and it struggled), and I have a few other stems that will dot the carpet of E. belem and HC. The two stems are rotala Mexicana goias and Ammania bonsai (True rotala). I'll try to get a journal up on the new developments soon. Life has been busy lately, my second son was born a couple weeks ago.

This little tank runs a Flexi mini. It works wonderfully. My 45 cm has the Chihiros. It is a very strong light, so in the beginning it can be a challenge to get things going well and I usually end up combating algae. Still have a little that peaks up if I don't stay on the weekly maintenance. The 45 cm is developing really well though, the HC has filled in thickly, the downoi is bushing out well ( I replaced the C. parva with it because there was just too much light for the C. parva and it struggled), and I have a few other stems that will dot the carpet of E. belem and HC. The two stems are rotala Mexicana goias and Ammania bonsai (True rotala). I'll try to get a journal up on the new developments soon. Life has been busy lately, my second son was born a couple weeks ago.

Hi Shaw, thanks for you reply!
First of all, congratulations for you second son!!! :)

On the sequence, I was wondering what light should I buy for the tank I'm planning (60x35x35 cm) and over my research I came up that the best "cheapest" solution would be the Chihiros. I'm still in doubt! :) Haha
Any other suggestion you would give for me on light perspective for a tank this size? Planning a carpet and will run with CO2 and good substrate.

Thanks sir and congratulations again!

Hi Shaw, thanks for you reply!
First of all, congratulations for you second son!!! :)

On the sequence, I was wondering what light should I buy for the tank I'm planning (60x35x35 cm) and over my research I came up that the best "cheapest" solution would be the Chihiros. I'm still in doubt! :) Haha
Any other suggestion you would give for me on light perspective for a tank this size? Planning a carpet and will run with CO2 and good substrate.

Thanks sir and congratulations again!

Thanks for the kind words.

The Chihiros is a very strong light, more PAR than the ADA aquasky ( at least my older model, I cannot say for some of the newer versions). I'd only use it over a high tech scape with good pressurized CO2 and fast growing plants. Great for carpeting and growing stems. The dimmer button you can get with the light isn't that great, in my opinion. It seems to have a very subtle flicker to it, which I find annoying. With that being said, there is another option to reduce the light, which I have yet to try. My co-host on The Aquascaping Podcast, J , suggested using low density gel. It is designed for over photography lights and reduces the light while maintaining the color. Its basically a film that can be cut to size, heat resistant, and easily applied and removed. Overall, the Chihiros is a good light, but strong. There are good options to dim it if needed. Here is an amazon link to the gels: https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Neutral-...gel .5 stop&qid=1464986880&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Thanks for the kind words.

The Chihiros is a very strong light, more PAR than the ADA aquasky ( at least my older model, I cannot say for some of the newer versions). I'd only use it over a high tech scape with good pressurized CO2 and fast growing plants. Great for carpeting and growing stems. The dimmer button you can get with the light isn't that great, in my opinion. It seems to have a very subtle flicker to it, which I find annoying. With that being said, there is another option to reduce the light, which I have yet to try. My co-host on The Aquascaping Podcast, J , suggested using low density gel. It is designed for over photography lights and reduces the light while maintaining the color. Its basically a film that can be cut to size, heat resistant, and easily applied and removed. Overall, the Chihiros is a good light, but strong. There are good options to dim it if needed. Here is an amazon link to the gels: https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Neutral-Density-Lighting-Filter/dp/B000B73OM8?ie=UTF8&keywords=neutral density gel .5 stop&qid=1464986880&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Hi Shaw!
Well, so, the Chihiros is too good? Haha
I got your point that it is too strong and bright and this film should dim it. Not fan of "adaptations", but i think this would be a solution. And limit its light to 6h/day?

The good think about the Chihiros is that it is cheap compared to many other famous brands like ADA, Kessil, Elos and others.
The ideal I think would be a DIY, but with my limited knowledge of electric I'm afraid to burn all the leds I buy! Haha

Still in doubt regarding the light for a 60cm!
Thanks!

PS: Waiting for you journal of this tanks!

When I start a scape with the Chihiros I run the light 6 hours a day and then move to 8 hours once things have grown in well. Due to the intensity planting as dense as possible is important. Algae will likely show up in the start, so good CO2 and nutrient management as well as maintenance is important to get through the growing pains of a scape with so much light. It runs upwards of 200-220 mmol PAR. I like the light, but the intensity presents challenges. For a high tech, colorful high growth tank it is one of the best. The low density gels is a great way to turn down the intensity, I think or at least allow for some more flexibility to put over various style tanks.

I'm not a DIY guy either....for similar reasons. I'd constantly be wondering if my DIY light was going to catch fire.

Hmm got it!
I never know which tank I will more likely run. Always start with a mixed low/high specs and end moving to high specs (read here: carpet).

Considering it is "cheap" compared to other brands, I will buy and if not fit on my tank specs, I will sell to some will a higher specs aquarium.
I was only asking for other possible brands because I have a friend flying to USA (I live in Brazil) on August end, and he would be able to bring some package for me.

Believe me, I'm not a DIY guy, but always try! Once, stopped the lighting system for the hole flor in the building I lived (4 apartments). :angelic:

Hmm got it!
I never know which tank I will more likely run. Always start with a mixed low/high specs and end moving to high specs (read here: carpet).

Considering it is "cheap" compared to other brands, I will buy and if not fit on my tank specs, I will sell to some will a higher specs aquarium.
I was only asking for other possible brands because I have a friend flying to USA (I live in Brazil) on August end, and he would be able to bring some package for me.

Believe me, I'm not a DIY guy, but always try! Once, stopped the lighting system for the hole flor in the building I lived (4 apartments). :angelic:

For a cheap and flexible LED the Fluval Aquasky isn't bad. Good PAR and adjustable dimmer, although not programmable. That is what I recommended a friend get for his 60 cm tank. I found the cheap eco tech from fluval grows ferns and anubias very well and when stems get to the surface they even get some good color. Problem with the ecotech is the spread and power. Another option that provides greater flexibility, but not as much power as the Chihiros.

For a cheap and flexible LED the Fluval Aquasky isn't bad. Good PAR and adjustable dimmer, although not programmable. That is what I recommended a friend get for his 60 cm tank. I found the cheap eco tech from fluval grows ferns and anubias very well and when stems get to the surface they even get some good color. Problem with the ecotech is the spread and power. Another option that provides greater flexibility, but not as much power as the Chihiros.

Got your point Shawn.
Ended buying the Chihiros. :) Now, I need to wait 1.5 to 2 months until it arrives! Haha

And man, post your new Journal! :)

Quick update, the tankard gone Some time without a trim recently and in the midst it trimming the overgrown tank I decided it was a time for a rescape. I've worked out the hardscape and am waiting for an order of bucephalandra before planting. New photos coming soon.

p.s. I just wrote this post with my new surface tablet pen. so cool it can read my handwriting and convert to type, even cursive... I love it!

Just noticed you're running this with a Flex Mini - what are the tank dimensions?
30cm cube or ???

Do you have any more recent photos from this tank?
(I'm always keen to see the "tank abandoned" version .... as my tanks tend to run in that style ;) )

30 cm x 18 cm x 24 cm

I didn't happen to snap a photo of it overgrown. It didn't look bad but needed to be trimmed to keep it healthy. Part way through I decided trimming was more work than a reshape and this layout had run its course. New one will be another good one I hope. I very much liked this layout.

The layout pretty much followed the cycle in the previous photos. To keep a stem heavy tank healthy long term I think it is good to hack back the stems drastically and start the shaping process over. Basically refreshing the scape with lots of new growth.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

This is my most recent photo

3753ec8aa639fecd687dbc5e53907edc.jpg

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

Just noticed you're running this with a Flex Mini - what are the tank dimensions?
30cm cube or ???

not enough spread front to back to really run well on a cube.

Thanks, that's what I thought ... ordered one recently anyway, hoping it's the 2015 upgraded version that arrives :cool:
(but not holding my breath ;))

Hi Shaw.
How are the current results with the Chihiros A-Series? Still working well?

Thanks!
So probably way too late but the chihiros I was using was an E series. Very strong light...Too strong IMO. I've swapped it for a twinstar led on my 45 cm.

This 30 scape uses a flexi mini which works really well. Currently growing buce with no algae and stems with nice colors

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back