• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

300watts of metal halide- trouble?

murph

Is having 300 watts of metal halide lighting in a 260l asking for trouble? I currently have 78 watts of t5 lighting butt feel the need for more.

My 5kg fe is running pretty high and my drip checker is a nice line green. The up reactor sprays a fine mist of bubbles throughout the whole tank a far a I can tell. Plants seem to be growing alright except the hairgrass which hasent shown much change.

Algae is starting to appear in small amounts on the glass(green) and on the rocky hardscape. There are a few amanos in the tank to keep it down but no ottos.

Ferts are EI as reccommended by flyfisher.

I'm short should I go for the metal halide or a 4x39 T5 lumminer?

How much would I need to up everything else if I do go super bright?

I'm looking for fast growth and low dense carpet and don't mind a bit of pruning of an evening! :crazy:

Stevie

How do you find growth levels Sam? Have you had to up the ferts or anything?

It's a fairly new tank so I figure the algae is just the tank bedding in, there's been no new algae in the glass since I cleaned it of. I upped the co2 a little ao it's now green going on yellow. The few fish don't seem bothered but I've an airstone running at night anyway.

A lot depends on how high you hang the lighting. Start at 60cm+ above the water line then gradually lower if you need to.

It is overkill IMO.

I recently helped set up a 220 x 60 x 70H cm with 2 x MH 150w which was plenty to grow carpeting plants.

Personally I'd stick with the 'greener' option of an additional 2 x 39w T5 unit.

Back