• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

30x turnover

angelfishguy

is 30x turnover possible in a planted tank? i ask because thats what i currently have. it looks okay to me but i could be wrong.

its a powerhead that gives 1500lph on a 50ltr tank, im also wondering if the flow will be too strong for shrimp and get sucked into the powerhead,

ive added a video so you can see the tank

th_46d7b913.jpg

its mainly because its one i had laying around spare.... may get a new one so :twisted:

I am new to all this planted tank stuff but have kept fish for years, I personally can not think of a fish off the top of my head that will get on with that much flow let alone a shrimp lol

I may be wrong so maybe just wait for others to reply and see what they say.....

Danny said:
I have this running on what will be my shrimp tank, the 600 version
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hang-On-Exter ... 414wt_1165

Shrimp tank is 60x30x35 and approx 50L with wood and substrate added.

I have similar bu the 260lph version of a different brand, and would like the 600, but too big for my tank unfortunately. Can I ask if it is 30cm wide? And the space from glass to back, as I have a wall up against the back of tank, and 260l one fits perfect.

sr20det said:
Danny said:

I have similar bu the 260lph version of a different brand, and would like the 600, but too big for my tank unfortunately. Can I ask if it is 30cm wide? And the space from glass to back, as I have a wall up against the back of tank, and 260l one fits perfect.

23cm wide and approx 8.5cm from glass to back of the filter, I also have it beside a wall lol
The gap between wall and tank is 130mm

DSCF5617.jpg

Danny said:
sr20det said:
Danny said:

23cm wide and approx 8.5cm from glass to back of the filter, I also have it beside a wall lol
The gap between wall and tank is 130mm

DSCF5617.jpg
Thanks mate, mine is a 14 l and is 22cm wide I think. I might be 1cm shy here.

You may be able to shave the over hang sides with a stanley blade to give you that 1cm reduction as they have a thin lip on each side from the moulding of them, I will have a look later and let you know if it would be doable and practical.

There is a 5mm lip on each side of the overflow which could be cut off with a razor blade to give you the 1cm you need to get it in your tank :)

It is just a trim and cutting it off will not cause any problems.

DSCF5617-1.jpg

I run a 20l tank with 700lph turn over... I'm not sure what that is but it's a lot.
I've ran 30x before and never had any issues but this was with filter turnover not powerhead turnover so it's likely less. I personally wouldn't stress it myself, shrimp seem to learn quick enough to avoid anything suction-y, perhaps add a filter foam cover which would stop them getting stuck.

I've got about 1400lph turnover on my 55litre. Even the baby shrimp aren't bothered by it unless they swim right into the power head, then they get a shock lol.

Does the current look as strong as my tank?

Maybe tomorrow ill get a video of food flowing in the current.

I wouldn't worry about the flow, the more flow the better I think. You should be aiming for at least 10x turnover in a planted tank with co2. If you go more it's not really an issue as your plants will absorb the flow as they grow. There are plenty of small fish out there which love high flow tanks. As long as you have calmer areas in the tank for the fish to rest its no problem. If anything the flow in your tank looks spot on! Cheers

angelfishguy said:
Does the current look as strong as my tank?

Maybe tomorrow ill get a video of food flowing in the current.

Very similar. I can't see properly on your video, but it looks like you have the power head near the bottom of the tank? Pull it up near the top and point it downwards ever so slightly so the plants aren't in direct line of the power heads output, see how that goes.

The substrate is manando, so a shrimps fart would blow it all over the place :(

But ill have a mess around with it tomorrow :)

Back