• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

320l Discus tank, becoming planted !

I am not a fan of the roots being displayed that way, but its a good start and nice shade for the discus ;)
Love "the girls" too having one of my own hehehe keep us posted :)

hi tony,

thats a pretty impressive set up you have there. its sounds as if your coming from the fish side of things to the planted/scaped side...great.

i wouldn't worry too much about the placement of the wood for the time being, just as long as you understand why it's placement maybe incorrect from a 'scaping perspective. plenty of time to sort that.

i reckon, the next attempt at a scape maybe pretty good. ;)

The scape you have reminds me in spirit a lot of this:
20081009_w.jpg

your coming from the fish side of things to the planted/scaped side...great.

You got it Mark ;) The discus tank will remain primarily just that, rather than a fully 'scaped' tank. but its great to grow stuff in, see how that goes, and learn the CO2 / EI ropes etc.

Shouldnt be too long before my first attempt at scaping gets going ;)

I've started the EI doing this morning, using James' "All in One" solution. Dosing will be daily, before lights on via a dosing pump (or at least it will be once the replacement motor arrives for it :twisted: - for now its dosed by me :lol: ).

Thanks to London Dragon for running the numbers through NutriCalc, and for the number crunching on his AllInOne thread which helped alot ! :D

KNO3 - 5.22g 3 times a week
K2SO4 - 2.4g 3x/wk
KH2PO4 - 1.48g 3x/wk
MgSO4 - 13.53g 3x/wk
Trace - 0.91g 3x/wk

The pump doses 40ml / min so will be timed on for 1 min per day, which is the minimum the timer will allow. I've made up a 1400ml solution which should last for 35 days, so I'll replace it every month. Mixing for 35 days also means you can just multiply the above amounts by 15: (( #g x 3) / 7) x35 = #g x 15

So added to 1400ml of RO water is:

KNO3: 5.22g x 15 = 79g (rounding up)
K2SO4: 2.4 x 15 = 36g
KH2PO4: 1.48 x 15 = 23g
MgSO4: 13.53 x 15 = 203g
Trace: 0.91 x 15 = 14g
E300 Asorbic Acid: 1.4g
E202 Potassium Sorbate: 0.56g

It'll be interesting to see how the solution settles after 24 hours, as I wonder whether it'll need mixing up before each dosing which will make the pump use tricky.

Any thoughts on all this would be appreciated, as I'm dabbling in new waters here ! :D

Cheers

Tony

Tonser said:
I see it now ! Just for it to have the faintest hint of a Filipe Oliveira tank, even if only in spirit has made my day :D :D :D :lol: A long long way to go though.
There is no rocket science to that tank (but I do want one just like it) - its just an E.Tenellus carpet with crypts, anubias, ferns and amazon swords. With your setup, CO2 and EI dosing it should start to look more and more like that every week!

It would be nice to see the new root with the original piece of angled into the tank more, although I know you said you can't move it because of the brace. Could you take a bit off?

That is one of the coolest looking tanks ive seen. I love the whole in the wall idea of fish tanks, and your tank looks clean and all your fish look healthy. Nice work! :twisted:

Hi Tony, with regards to the solution settling, and mixing possibly required, I read in a thread by LondonDragon that he was going to have an air pump set to run for about 2 minutes in the fert container before the dosing pump starts, to mix the solution a bit. I am also going to try this method as it seems to make a bit of sense :D

Back