• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3ft shallow scape

It looks realy stunning.. :).. It's obvious to see in your scape that you have years of experience. Maybe next year i'll give it a go, a tank like this was my actual idea and finaly the goal i like to work to. But first i want to experiment a while in the hobby room to find out what will and what wont work, before i create an ugly disaster in the living room. :)

The difficulty will be, that this shallow build i'm planning will be in a hole in the wall, mainly viewable from front and back, somewhat same size as yours. Making a tank only 30cm deep viewable from 2 sides without a real front nor a real back side will be a major chalange. What plants are suitable and maintainable for a setup like this is what i'm trying to find out.

Update sorry it's been a while...

*The Elephant ear plant started growing too large for the layout blocking out too much light so I decided to remove it. I intend to fill the gap with a peace lily or similar.
*Most of the mosses have grown in quite nicely.
*I'm experimenting with Monte Carlo for the foreground as I am no longer using Co2 the growth rate is slow but constant.
*I ended up going with White clouds for the schooling fish although I am now wishing I used something like cardinal or neon tetras as the scape is quite dark the bright blue and reds of neon's or cardinals would contrast quite well.
*The scape is also currently housing some black widow tetras, 2 bristle nose catfish and a Siamese algae eater from a friend who had to move from his apartment.

DSC_0346_zpspbfcbdxn.jpg

DSC_0353_zpsanuvtti7.jpg

Hi Marc, it developed stunningly beautifull.. A while well worth waiting.. :clap::thumbup:..
Indeed an Alocasia tugged in a corner has nowhere else to go than over the tank.. Even the dwarf alocasia grows around 3 feet..
Philodendron sp. maybe some for the empty spot some of them do realy well in moist and grow natural also is swamps or riverbanks, they climb and you have the support for that.. Some have the same heart leave shape as Alocasia.. :)

Thank you Zozo, I think you may be on to a good idea there with the Philodendron. I will have to go and see what species are available here.

:) Another one might be easier to find, Syngonium.. I got one in swampy conditions and doing realy good.. I'm not 100% sure and kinda forgot it's name already have it a very long time, that's why i had to look it up again. It's a cultivar of the Syngonium podophyllum i bought it years ago as dwarf cultivar, till now the leaves did't grow bigger than 5 inches.. But i've seen bigger podophyllums, that's why i'm not sure about that, but i'm sure it a Syngonium.

They even grow in a glass of water without substrate and also vine.. Very easy plant almost impossible to kill, because of that a very popular easy to find houseplant. :)

Last edited:
I Just recently purchased a small Syngonium with that idea but I wasn't sure if it was suitable because the plant ticket said it liked well drained soil. Guess I could give it a try.

Update sorry it's been a while...

*The Elephant ear plant started growing too large for the layout blocking out too much light so I decided to remove it. I intend to fill the gap with a peace lily or similar.
*Most of the mosses have grown in quite nicely.
*I'm experimenting with Monte Carlo for the foreground as I am no longer using Co2 the growth rate is slow but constant.
*I ended up going with White clouds for the schooling fish although I am now wishing I used something like cardinal or neon tetras as the scape is quite dark the bright blue and reds of neon's or cardinals would contrast quite well.
*The scape is also currently housing some black widow tetras, 2 bristle nose catfish and a Siamese algae eater from a friend who had to move from his apartment.

View attachment 79773

View attachment 79774
Simply amazing...

Back