• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

400 gallon.

Removed a lot of the floating mass of plants yesterday, blocked a bit to much light, replanted a lot of Hydrocleis shoots, wil take a pic tonight, should have cleared up by then.
Just as a side thought: i left a lot of debris in the tank, didn't clean it for app 2 months. It collects at the base of the swords and just sits there, but even while the tank could be considered "dirty", there is not one single spot of BGA.:confused:

Things to do/achieve:
A) the swords need to get bigger, they can be quite bigger, cutting them of from the light through floaters has hurt them.
B) I need some groundcover, but 1) it needs to be manageable ( i can't tinker around in the tank all the time) 2) not grow to thick or to high (and trap all kind of gunk, give way to BGA)
3) grow in lowish light
C) need something left side behind the wood, not to fast or to high growing (hard to reach), preferably app 60 cm high.
D) the lily like plants (Nymphaea and Hydrocleis) are doing reasonably well, I probably will let those cover the tank instead of the other floaters, more manageable

Overall i think i am on the correct path lightwise, little algae. Changing the amount of floaters (decreasing them atm) mightt be a risc, but i'll see. I need to get a bit more light to the swords. Still using a form of EI.
I like to use plants that i can let grow to full maturity, and not need to prune all the time.

Thx, all. There are some small spots on older leaves, but nothing that is troublesome. Trying to get a bit more light in the tank to improve on the growth of the swordplants, they still are to small. It feels the floating leaves from the Hydrocleis block less light then a deck of floaters, the letting just abit more in for the bottom plants. Planning to move the lights closer to the surface gradually.
There are a bit to many old leaves on the larger swords, but removing them is quite an undertaking in this tank, maybe Amano could send over his minions for a while.

Crypt balansae for back left corner maybe?
Does not grow too fast, but will grow to near surface with time.(month's)
Lot's of pot's of crypt Parva for some ground cover.? Or maybe bucephla (sp)?

Back