• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

4x2x2 log

jamesb

Just won this beauty. Thought was a steal with some of the bits I get with it. Thinking my angel pair, discus an l plec or 2 and maybe some medium cats probably sand sub with moss covered roots.

Whitey89 said:
Looks good for that price. The ph / tds meter if half decent should set you back £50+new. Good buy, tip 1, get rif of that horrendous purple backing :)

Whats wrong with purple ? :angelic:

Great buy James... looking forward to seeing it scaped and up and running :)

It will have a black background I think black rules! It comes with a tetratec 1200 but personally I feel that alone leaves it a little light filtration wise seen as its not even 3x turnover. Or am I worrying over nothing?

jamesb said:
It will have a black background I think black rules! It comes with a tetratec 1200 but personally I feel that alone leaves it a little light filtration wise seen as its not even 3x turnover. Or am I worrying over nothing?

Hi James, no I dont think you are worrying over nothing here. Although the higher turnover rates we try to achieve is usually used as a way of ensuring good flow and distribution of CO2. So if you nail that with that filter then its not the be all and end all. That will depend on your return flow setup and the scape itself. You could always add something like an Eheim compact 3000 for extra flow... use it to run the heater and/or other inline equipment.

That's true I was thinking of adding either another tetratec 1200 or make if it looks real sorry the fx5. But if it's purely in tank flow rather than filtration powerheads would work wouldn't they. I will know more by Sunday once it's filled up and running. See what the flow is like then and take it from there

Powerheads work fine, but IMHO they are ugly and detract from any scape. If you are going to buy powerheads, why not spend the money keeping it out of the tank and use a compact pump which delivers 3000lph is my way of thinking. The EX1200 will give you AMPLE biological filtration. So it really is down to how much in tank flow and CO2 distribution you need.

Right well tbh I feel a bit cheated but I think I still got an ok deal just not what I expected. Contemplating a negative feedback on eBay. The ad said the tank was 4x2x2 so I assumed(tell me if I am being thick) that this was the size of the part of the tank that held water. So I get there and keep looking at it....... It's only 18" wide and can hold water up to about 19" of the 24" so holds about 280 instead of 450 litres :(. All in it is still a good deal but not what I thought it was.

The tank measurements are always of the outside and there will always be a difference between tank height and water level, my tank for example is "30 high but the water level is in fact about 26" from substrate.

It is only smaller braceless tanks that the water level is almost to the top as the glass is thicker and stronger to make up for the lack of braces so water can be higher in the tank.

jamesb said:
Right well tbh I feel a bit cheated but I think I still got an ok deal just not what I expected. Contemplating a negative feedback on eBay. The ad said the tank was 4x2x2 so I assumed(tell me if I am being thick) that this was the size of the part of the tank that held water. So I get there and keep looking at it....... It's only 18" wide and can hold water up to about 19" of the 24" so holds about 280 instead of 450 litres :(. All in it is still a good deal but not what I thought it was.

I dont understand how you can describe 48 x 19 x 18 as 48 x 24 x 24 in anyone's language. I would personally have refused to purchase it as thats a BIG difference. Having said that you said it was a bargain so perhaps you can sell it on and get the tank size you really want ? I have recently had to refuse the purchase of a tank that was described as being in immaculate condition with no water damage and only the pipes missing from the filter. When I got there the damn thing was filthy, the cabinet had obvious swelling from water and the filter was missing £40 worth of spare parts !!!

Sorry to hear you have not got what you hoped for. My advice, if it was me, would be to either arrange a refund or sell it on because it sounds like you may not be happy with it and theres no point doing that. :( Bummer.

Right well apologies for this non starter. The tank has now gone. It was not what I thought I was buying it looks like neither angel is going to survive as one has passed and the other one appears to be ill too. And tbh the set up cost was going to be more than I have available right now. There are some bonuses though. The tank, filter and some other bits and bobs sold for £100 (more than i paid for the lot.) I still have the stand/pine dresser that I am going to pretty up and sell on. Plus I am keeping the 15w uv :). I do have a 4ft t8 40w bulb and light unit if anyone is interested. It works fine but it's only for a single bulb and I know t8 isn't really favoured these days. It's quite a nice tidy unit so if anyone has a need for one lets know :)

Hi James. I think you did the right thing mate. You would not have been happy with it. Shame though. Mind you there are a LOAD of Rena 4' tanks available at the moment and some are just silly money. Check out fleabay. Sorry to hear about the angels though :( Do you have different plans for another tank so soon after this ?

Nope next project will probably be 2014. We will of moved house, our first girl will be at full time school and our lil girl due in November will be nearing nursery age and we will of had the wedding so hoping finances will be a little less strained. I really want a garage along side the living room in the new place then I can cut some holes in the wall if you know what I mean. That's about my only requirement of a house. Oh and big garden lol. Will save for a 6x2x2 sumped set up then I just have to decide between discus or marine. However I have 2 years before that so I will continue to cut my teeth on my lil rio 180 :)

Back