• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

500 Litre sumped System

Another option would be to blank off your sump outlet & inlet and treat it as a normal tank. You could sell your sump to fund a decent filter. Or you could even use the jebao at 60% (it has power control right?) to run existing pipework as a closed loop circulation system. That way no co2 loss issues

Even simpler would be to use the sump (reverse light if you fancy) and go low tech. No bottles of gas and regulators and solenoids etc etc just what you already have. Spend the difference on plants, landscape and fish :confused: Check out BigTom's tank

That reverse lighting cycle does sound interesting. Imagine two same sized tanks supplying CO2 to each other! But it probably has to be low tech.

well in going to roll with it and see what happens.
it probably has to be low tech but that's fine.
any best tips for anything else please suggest.

Jon

I dont think there would be enough co2 produced in the lights out tank to supply the lights on tank. And what if you need a shorter photoperiod to combat algae. I think it would be a good experiment with 3/4 tanks each with a 8/6 hour photoperiod. You would still need to add co2 and more nutrients though

im going to go low tech potentially.
i could always go high tech and diffuse co2 into the final chamber of the sump which will take it straight up and onto the main tank.
i will see how it goes.
any tips on substrate will be appreciated as in looking towards akadama or a soil substrate. Mainly for cost as i will need lots.

thanks Jon

I suggested this option because Jon is already set up for it, it may be necessary to supplement CO2 dependant on need in main display, but I think at least CO2 levels should be manageable and controllable with some experimentation.
I agree with Humbert that having two tanks would inevitably lead to having to increase any fertilization used, but if dry dosing cost shouldn't be too significant.
Choosing the right plant species for the sump would need some investigation as well, my initial thought was something like Riccia that could be grown without a substrate.

Cheers

A few thoughts for you Leesey:

Play sand is cheap or black blasting sand gives you light and dark options. You can use john Innes no3 and cap that with sand. Don't worry too much about substrate nutrition as water gets all the way to the bottom carrying ferts in the water. Check out the EI tutorial for cheap, effective ferts. Pop a few more posts out and you'll get access to the buy/sell threads and that equals cheap plants, wood, rock etc. garden centres are good for cheap large stones. Start with weak lighting to avoid algae.
Lots of plants make for great biological filtration on top of your external lessening the need for bio filtration in the the sump. Pond filter foam is seriously cheap for your sump as mechanical filtration, then chuck in some Alfagrog if you want more bio filtration. See if you can cobble together a spraybar from your sump return as it'll provide the best circulation

Pardon the brainfart :confused:

Your Brainfart was fine!
Circulation should not be a problem, with the return pump and as stated on the first pump i can ask add a small powerhead.
Im now looking round to where to get rocks etc from for the scape along with Wood etc.
to be honest I'm more excited about this than i was with the marine tanks that i have had.
The wife is also very much on board which helps.
I'm looking towards compost topped with sand but also utilising different substrates in the scape so we shall wait and see.
As i said at the start i apologise for the slow progress of this but i will get there.

Jon

Also, if you want a more aqua soil appearance substrate than sand, then either akadama as you mentioned or you could use tescos cat litter. I and several others use it and it is pretty good. Goes a reddish brown under water. Needs a good wash beforehand as it is pretty dusty otherwise, but cheap stuff. It comes in a bag like this:
tescos%20cat%20litter1.jpg

It's about £3-4 per bag I think. Means you don't have to pay for postage for akadama. :)

Back