• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60ltr at 4bps???

Cai, next time you clean your diffuser stick the co2 tube in a glass of water and turn it on for a few seconds, I think you'll be surprised how slowly it comes out compared to the bubble counter, I'd say you are definitely on the right path mate question everything, follow the advice you think is sound but ultimately watch your plants and livestock for the answers, good luck with your setup :thumbup:

@foxfish thanks for vid. Ye I've watched that a couple times now. What I don't get is by that video if I follow his chart, 7.3 with a kh of 12 it shows I have 19ppm already.
Then if I'm to take Cegs advise to drop a full unit to 6.3 with a kh of 12 I'm injecting 163 ppm or something. I feel they conflict with each other.
I'd rather follow Cegs advice. It just seems there's so many theories and ideas of what's needed regardless of the likes of ceg giving advice such as I've received. It clouds and confuses matters to the point a beginner like me becomes mislead.
I understand there needs to be a certain flexibility when it comes to my bubble counter due to each one being slightly different in build.
Drop checkers are slow, and as has been stated above the size of the co2 mist given off by different atomisers, diffusers and reactors etc give a misguided colour to what's actually in tank.
Guide points only I know.
everybody just seems to have their own theory on it that it bothers and worries me that it's left that way. Surely if this niche of planted aquariums is to grow in popularity we need to have some more structured standards to begin from.

I also started with a small in tank diffuser and it was realy hard to get a steady co2 supply and saw more bubbles leave the water than beeing disolved. Than i followed a advice (also red an a reply from Ceg long time ago) to place the diffuser under the filter inlet, so all bubbles are sucked into the filter. The filtermedia will disolve it much better and there will be co2 saturated water from the outlet. This worked pefect so far, co2 suply was more steady, droped faster and stayed more stable. Only thing was, once in a while the canister traped a big bubble of co2 and burps a bit.

Later on i went for an inline diffuser in the filter outlet hose, to prevent the co2 from beeing traped in the canister. And actualy my experience is this works even better. I'll stay with an inline diffuser.

everybody just seems to have their own theory on it that it bothers and worries me that it's left that way.

More to say, everybody has his own experience after a while, probaly a bit contradictive of what other experience. Better don't worrie about that, after a while you'll be as experienced and find your own way... :)

Best practise always is to go down in small steps and wait and see what it does for you. I'm just quoting a chart that says your water contains 19ppm co2 from the tap. Only would be correct if your kH check is accurate, drop tests are notorious for beeing inaccurate. So there you go, the first theory is born and you'll encounter some more along the way. It all doesn't matter so much, for example just start at the top with going down to say pH6,9 and stay there for a few weeks and see what it does. If you think you can do better go down again 0.1/0.2 units and wait and see. That's a much safer way than force everything down to 6.3, maybe wasting a lot of co2 and or endangering your lifestock if you have and going up again.. Take your time and patience you'll get there and find the sweetspot without much confusement. You're plants wont die from it going down easily in little steps.

everybody just seems to have their own theory on it that it bothers and worries me that it's left that way. Surely if this niche of planted aquariums is to grow in popularity we need to have some more structured standards to begin from.
Yep drives me mad! I used to post my methods based on long term experience but, in recent years, I find it difficult to deal with all the new school of experts so I generally keep quiet & just answer the basic questions.

Yep drives me mad! I used to post my methods based on long term experience but, in recent years, I find it difficult to deal with all the new school of experts so I generally keep quiet & just answer the basic questions.

Yes my long term experience indicates that it does not have to be so difficult and it need not be so precise. As a beginner I suggest you follow one train of advice from someone with proven success because for every expert there is an equal and opposite expert...

I won't add much to this discussion as you've already stated which way you wish to proceed ... but I must protest that

CO2 dissolution/concentration in water is NOT art, it is SCIENCE

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

In the absence of livestock, run CO2 at any level that suits (again there are plant preferences but that would be more of that interfering - & decidedly optional - science & unlike livestock the result is unlikely to be devastatingly permanent); just remember to turn down the CO2 when you introduce shrimp/fish & only gradually increase CO2 back to previous levels, paying close attention to shrimp/fish behavior.

Fortunately shrimp/fish are quite sturdy creatures & they will survive in many environs that are far from "perfect", so find the balance that works for you.

@alto. Haha sorry for using the taboo terminology. I believe it's in a more metaphorical tone. In the way that getting it right is like somebody doing fine art. It takes time, experience and hard work seeing what works. I'm not disputing science reigns all my friend!

my post may've come off as rather more serious in tone than I meant :D

But do look at Tropica's display/inspiration tanks - they run with an array of filter rates & CO2 levels :)

Thanks @alto i will have a gander. My main concern is the livestock for sure. I know I can have injection high at moment but I just want to know my livestock are happy and safe. I intend to lower it like you've reccommended to allow them to adapt. Il be drip acclimating them also.
Will be adding ottos, Amanos, red cherry shrimp and a single shoal of Galaxy rasbora as my main fish.
id never seen anyone comment on such high injection rates for such a small sized tank. This was my main concern to begin with.

Is this injection rate to an in-tank diffuser (such as the ADA style) or an "atomizer/reactor etc?

I have an inline atomiser by co2 art but I've bought a ISTA inline reactor as I don't like the mist all over my tank during injection period. Especially at 4bps at the moment.

Your increased bubble rate is not unusual then, sometimes you'll see photos of uncountable bubble rates needed for these sorts of reactors.

I won't add much to this discussion as you've already stated which way you wish to proceed ... but I must protest that

CO2 dissolution/concentration in water is NOT art, it is SCIENCE

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Science is the art of knowing.. ;) Or at least thinking/believing you know.. Less then a century ago Mercury still was used as a medicine in the name of science.. Today it would be a crime to make you swallow it.. :)

Hi all, I've posted a couple times about co2 and had some really top answers so far so hopefully you can aid me again.

I've a 60litre tank,medium to full packed with plants such as HC, rotala bonsai, vivipara, Cryptocoryne lutea. Quite slow growing a lot of them.

I was told to set an initial rate for co2 which I did. 2bps and see how long it took for the co2 to drop say 0.5 of a unit. I did so and set my timer for 2.5 hours before lights on.

I bought a decent ph pen and took the readings throughout the day. My initial ph was 7.3 before any co2 was added. It only dropped to 6.8/6.7 I think at this rate at its lowest.

Since then I've tweaked co2 and left it for day to observe unit drops. It's took me about a week to get a 1unit drop but it's a rate of 4bps. As I've read this is a lot of co2 for my tank.
I have good flow using a fluval 305 canister filter at its highest flow rate as it's connected to a inline heater and inline atomiser so I figured flow rate would have slowed to what's said on manual. I can visibly see co2 reach bottom of tank and work in a circular movement around tank.

I just want to know wether there's something a miss with what I'm doing with amount of co2 added as I'm worried this much is going to affect my livestock when I add them in couple weeks.

I took my kh and gh readings to see what the buffering was like within tank water
The kh took 12 drops and gh took a whopping 23 drops of solution to change the colour needed. Could this be affecting my limited drop in ph?

Can I run at this rate of bubbles or lower it?

I just feel that if I'm throwing too much co2 at my tank for no reason then I'd like to know so I can make a change before livestock is added.

Cheers
Hello,
If you review many of the threads regarding this issue you will normally see that the advice is that it may not be necessary to drop the pH a full unit when the water's alkalinity is measure to be 12 dkH. Hobbyists who don't have the whole picture may sometimes conclude that the information provided is conflicting, and that's usually because they are attempting to fill in the dots.

So for example, you mention that your KH test kit required 12 drops to change color. Since the kits sometimes differ, can you verify that based on that kit instructions the dKH is indicating 12, or 11? So can you see that merely by not stating exactly what your reading is, that it would be possible to misinterpret what the values actually are and to provide advice that may someday appear to someone else as being contradictory?

Also note that the one can use the pH/KH/CO2 chart to determine the target delta pH, but this loses some of it's relevance if the dKH number (I'll assume 12 in this case) is not 100% due to Calcium Carbonate dissolved in the water. The test kit measures alkalinity. It is incapable of measuring KH.

So if we go to the chart and find where the pH 7.3 column intersects the KH 12 row then it would imply that the water's starting CO2 content is around 18ppm which is unlikely.
Still, we are looking for a "Delta", not an absolute number, so we can simply follow the row to the left and stop at the 45.3ppm red box. Now, 45ppm minus 18ppm is 27ppm, which is a pretty good target. That box intercepts the 6.9pH column, right? So for your 12dKH water a pH drop of 0.4-0.5 can be the target instead of a traditional 1 unit drop. Again, there is some ambiguity because we do not know how much of the dKH value is due to ions that are not CO3 or HCO3.

Will this all seem confusing to some people? Well yes, no doubt. Years from now someone will accuse me of conflicting them terribly? I'll regretfully have to plead guilty. :dead:

But the conflict doesn't end there. Suppose the water is actually 12 dKH due to 100% CO3 dissolved in it. Lets say you can successfully reduce your bubble rate, to get a 0.4-0.5 pH drop and a 27ppm CO2. Are all your troubles over? Maybe not.

It may be that you are of Klingon ancestry and that your tank is lit by several megawatts of Atomic powered LED. If so, 27ppm may not be enough.
Suppose your flow rate and distribution were not as good as you thought? 27ppm may not be enough.
There are so many ways to having problems, it's staggering.

The 1 pH unit drop is just a guideline which assumes a much lower dKH and which takes into account the possibility that the starting CO2 concentration level is optimistic in the chart.
Acids in the water corrupt the pH reading and alkaline substances in the water corrupt the dKH reading. That's why we don't use tank water in the DC, remember?
You have to outwit the pH/KH/CO2 chart because it always assume your water only has Carbonate (CO3) dissolved in the water and that there are no other acids except for the Carbonic acid that is reacting with the water and with the Carbonate.
We cannot cover every possible scenario so we just shoot for a nice round number that works most of the time.
The DC is a good indicator visually so you can try to throttle back on the injection rate so that the yellow goes away, and that should give you the confidence that you will be able to add fish - but it will not necessarily guarantee that the plants will be happy.

Hope this helps...somewhat....

Cheers,

Back