• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60P Variations

Cleaned the glass, brushed the stones, trimmed some of the most heavily diatom infested plants brutally down, transferred more helanthum from an established scape to this one, introduced 5 Clithon snails, continued the soil to front glass on the right, removed riccardia patches. And did an another water change, of course.

Now, let’s see if this takes a turn for better or for worse.
1418A062-9771-4474-8E18-14529C3887B3.jpeg

I think the few tall plants already make this look more like a habitat, not just a scape. We are nearing a one month mark, so might be time to think about the fish.

Introduced fish to this one on Friday. Went with Tanichtys micagemmae, I believe they are called Vietnamese Cardinal Minnows in English. Bought 20 of them and they have settled in OK.
BBF539EE-ABBF-4CAA-B1C8-C60C366B8AB4.jpeg

I know they are not the most traditional choice for iwagumi. Shoaling rather than schooling, but they are very active and not shy at all. They offer nice viewing for the mornings. I tuned the CO2 down and placed a cover on the tank temporarily. Aquarium store warned me they can be jumpers. Hopefully this does not become an issue and constant worry for me.

BB62B9F3-1EEB-458E-8C15-94BBA649A98C.jpeg

9BEC1056-CA84-49E2-909F-500C7E527A34.jpeg

Strangely some of them have tried to swim up the lily pipe!😱 This is the first time I have observed this kind of behaviour. These are called juovakardinaalikala in Finnish. ”Line cardinal fish” But juova can also mean ”drinking”/”person who drinks”. So, might be some drunken misbehaviour, this extreme stream surfing!😅

Plants are still adapting. Some melting and dying of the old leaves, but I do see healthy new leaves also. Diatoms are almost completely gone. Or would be if I could bother to clean the glass pipes.😝

Does someone here have experience with Lilaeopsis macloviana? Interesting, tubular, hollow leaves, quite brittle. Came as a in-vitro plant, shed some blades but has now started to spread. And of course trying it’s best to ruin my distance illusion in the back of the tank. 🤣
46197CDA-86D5-4BC4-AD80-4E4AA6C31BB6.jpeg

In other news: Finland has switched over to daylight saving time last night. It is called summertime in Finnish.
F445AA49-F43B-4B8E-9126-E7BA229F0F1F.jpeg

Tad too early and optimistic one could argue.
Have a nice Sunday, everyone!

So, more like monthly updates, it seems.
Not smooth sailing, I’m sad to say. Greyish brush algae has taken residence. Tried to fix the situation with nutrients, few stems and lastly Excel dosing.

After that the algae was mostly on both Helanthum species’ leaves. I guess they don’t like Excel. Was it the same with Vallisneria? I recall reading something like that from somewhere. Could be the leaf structure thing? They are quite similar.

L. macloviana is aggressively spreading around. I have left it do that for now. I hope more plant mass will help with algae. Interesting plant, but I do not think it really suits the ambience I am after.

Introduced two in-vitro cups worth of E. vivipara. Hoping it will fill in the background up to surface. Other Eleocharis species are doing well, so it might succeed.

Quick morning snapshot of the situation now
IMG_2639.jpeg

I have spent most of my aquascaping time with the last tweaks of this year’s contest scape.
IMG_2634.jpeg

Oops, total disaster.
bed3a33b-eda5-4b26-a9d8-901300d138df.JPG

Algae, all kinds, everywhere. This is basically what neglect looks like. Inconsistency with ferts and increasing amounts of daylight with already powerful light unit. We have 19 hours of daylight now and both morning and especially long evening sun is reaching this tank somewhat.

Pearlweed strands that I inserted got crazy, hair grass carpet is as thick as I have ever seen, but all is covered in algae. Holiday season and more neglect is approaching.

So, I decided to try something. Do a makeover, partially start again. Fix the parameters, best I can and hope for something salvageable come end of summer.
IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2956.JPG

Everything out. Trying to reuse L.macloviana partially and introduce some new plants. Using different approach and haphazard way to "scaping". Attempting to rescue some of the hairgrass/mixed carpet by putting plants in plastic wash basin, giving them an Excel bath and then blackout. Modelling somewhat MJ Aquascaping`s GPD scape.

If somehow at the end of summer season this is OK, get those fish in there also. So, that is the goal I am setting up for myself with this redemption attempt.

BTW: no problem downloading images or anything. Seems like today´s issues have been successfully fixed . Good job, thank you!

Hello from the other side of summer! My summers are mostly spent away from the scapes. Should have known that a restart near almost complete abandonment is not a very good idea. Still wanted to give it a try. Results were not that great. After vacation time, about three weeks ago I had to do another restart.

My idea for the second variation was, as stated earlier, a sort of a modification of the iwagumi. More of a river or a stream scene, using partly the same materials.

LED lighting was kept to a minimal, due to the fact that this tank receives both morning and evening sunlight in long northern summer days. I did visit the scape about weekly, did waterchanges, fed the fish and cleaned around the tank. Fertilatisation was a bit erratic, Co2 was off.

Plants did not do too well and that opened up the opportunity for algae. I found out that especially L.macloviana did not like the replanting at all. I had a really strong plants, bucketfull of them. Lost most of them.

I got BGA! That crowned the failure. I have not had that problem in years, decades maybe. The cause for this is still a bit of a mystery to me. And that problem still persists and haunts me in this current, second restart. Problem might be in partly reused aquasoil or the new substrate material WIO biotope bed that I wanted to use.

At the moment the BGA is not overwhelming in volume, but persistent in the glass little above and little under the substrate line. I have not had test kits anymore in recent years. I grew confident, overconfident as it now seems. I am suspecting imbalance, nitrate defiency, judging from the pale and struggling plants. Second restart also propably messed up some of the bacteria, so I am enjoying a diatom, brown fuzz algae stage as well.

Not really enjoying this now, but I am reluctant to give up the idea altogether. I am leaning towards another restart but I will give this iteration a few weeks time with rigorous maintenance.

IMG_3769.JPG

I am basically trying out a lot of different plant species to see what could thrive, or at this point at least survive, in here. Managed to buy minilotus, N. helvola from another Finnish hobbyist. Hope I can keep at least that one alive.

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure they are water rounded basalt, so no local source for @finniche. I couldn't find any photos specifically for basalt, but this is the same thing in <"Carboniferous age Limestone">.

View attachment 201586
Bjoertvedt, CC BY-SA 3.0 <Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported — CC BY-SA 3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

In the UK we have a source <"in W. Scotland and N. Ireland"> and I'd guess there is somewhere (on Skye?) where you could find something very similar.

<"This is Canna"> (which I visited in 2011), which might also do (or Rhum, Eigg etc), but you would need to carry your stones back on the ferry.

cheers Darrel

My in laws own a fair chunk of land, and a river runs through it. West coast of Scotland.

Found these:

IMG_4402.jpeg

Found these months ago, only collected them to show as I have no plans to collect more of these rocks 👍 these kind of rocks make up less than 5% of the rocks of the river that runs. I’m sure other places it’s greater.

I hope things are improving with your algea........

Out of interest, how do you find the tank size for scapeing? I currently have a standard 60P 60x30x36, but always feel the depth limits me. I do like the height of the tank though, as I am short, so this maeks maintenance is easy (I dont have to use a stool or step). I was looking at upgrading to the 60P 60x45x36 , but think perhaphs it is not much of an upgrade. I looked at a 90P, and I am not sure if the height of 45mm might be a bit high, and also a bit big for my room. I have seen a WIO 75P that looks a happy medium 75 x 40 x 40 (120L), so a little bit taller and wider, but not a standard size so can limit me for if I want a lighted background, finding a stand for it etc.

I would be interested to know your thoughs :)

Thanks

Hi, nice journal and tank, for your information the hakkai stones actually available in Europe are all from Indonesia.

Hakkai from Japan are totally banned from export.

Not sure for how long we will get the Indonesia one but they sure look as good as the Japanese one. :)

Back