• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

65 Litre "reclaim" budget tank

I started my tank about 2 years ago after my son (18 months old at the time) was fascinated by fish. I went planted straight away as I've always loved nature and since I live in a first floor flat I cant have a garden.
It went through a few layouts and plantings before I settled on one I wanted, the first versions looked like this:

9580179006_41c920f2b0_c.jpg

and
8021301827_1293b0817a_c.jpg

8021305390_84733dc665_c.jpg

Unfortunately I dont have any shots from when it was fully grown in. While I was away for a few weeks with my old job duckweed got a foothold and killed off most of my plants by blocking out all of the available light leaving me with just a crypt, patchy DHG and a few Dwarf Sags. Although its a low tech set-up the DHG was spreading nicely before the collapse. What I've been left with is:
9546330590_b6b94c9baf_c.jpg

I'm battling algae to boot thanks to the new gap in the food chain. The problem this time round is that Im on a really tight budget thanks to being made redundant a few months ago, so I'm operating on a budget of near zero. This means for the scape I'm getting to be creative with what I have, and can find.
Luckily I live close to a nice part of the river Tees, some wooded areas, and the north east coast. My wife has come up with the idea of a "swampy" looking tank, with a root cluster coming down.
The recent stormy weather meant that I got my hands on a decent haul of rooty looking driftwood from Marske beach which i have soaking at the moment.

I have no idea what i can do for the plants at the moment without spending, but I have some moss, a few red root floaters I got for the princely sum of £1, the Crypt, Corkscrew Val, and a few surviving clumps of DHG to get me going.

The second was the one I allowed to grow in. Ive already shifted the magnet and thermometer. At the time the Wisteria grew to cover the filter and heater really well but unfortunately they were the first to die back.

I've had a rethink of what I plan to do with this one, and have a good idea of the direction I want to go but it will take a bit more planning and designing. In the mean time Im going to work on a couple of nano's that I've got spare bits for.

Back