• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

72l Forest walk first aquascape

I hope so marthin!Still learning lots so hopefully i wont mess it up.

Could some one give me some advice....

my plants arrive wednesday when i plant to plant them and then slowly fill the tank with water.

Should the heater and filter be running as soon as the tank is full?

when should i set up the nutrafin co2 system?

when should i change water and what %? Should i wait before adding fish food to start the cycle?

when should i start dosing... i have easycarbo and tropica nutrition + (how often?)

sorry for all the questions but dont want to mess it up if i can help it! o_O

I'm will be watching for the answers on this. I had the heater, filter and CO2 running as soon as the tank was filled with heated water.
As fertilizer, I'm well in the dark. Got some advise to go along with EI system, so awaiting the dry good. Growth can be manic

Of course it will look good, we all dream differently.. thank goodness!!

Any one know the answer to the questions above? Any help appreciated thanks

silverteen said:
Should the heater and filter be running as soon as the tank is full?
Yes.
when should i set up the nutrafin co2 system?
Now. Get the CO2 running and stable.

when should i change water and what %? Should i wait before adding fish food to start the cycle?
50% water changes 2x per week minimum for first 3 weeks. More frequently if you can. 50% per week thereafter.

No need to traditional 'cycle' the tank with fish food. Just plant up, wait three weeks then add livestock gradually.

when should i start dosing... i have easycarbo and tropica nutrition + (how often?)
As soon as you're planted. Dose daily. 5ml TPN+ per day per 100 litre. Same with Easycarbo.

sorry for all the questions but dont want to mess it up if i can help it!
No problem. Here to help!

Thank you George, Your help will go a long way. Plants arriving today so a busy evening planned placing the plants and filling the tank and setting up all equipment. hopefully get a pic or 2 up

Well had a parcel from plants alive and i guess i was dissapointed but not with plants alive but myself, i guess i was expecting bigger portions of plants but when ive looked others it seems that i was expecting too much.

Any way the plants are in, looks quite sparse at the moment so going to get order some more.

got Lindernia Rotundifolia, Rotala Rotundefolia,
Micranthemum Umberosum, HC, Indian fern, riccia, Glossostigma Elatinoides

filled the tank and all the equipment is up and running.

my hagen nutrafin co2 system is not making any bubbles yet and its been 24 hours but will give it another day or 2. Ive read that i can just put sugar water 1/4 teaspoon of regular yeast and 1 tea spoon of baking soda, is this right? o_O

could i use wine/beer yeast and then not add the baking soda? so just sugar water and beer yeast? :?:

pictures to follow soon....

I used dried bread-making yeast. 1/2 teaspoon with tepid water (30C). Didn't bother with bicarb. Should start producing bubbles in 10 minutes or so.

Put yeast in first, then sugar up to first line.

Top up with tepid water then gently stir.

Close lid tightly.

Attach CO2 hose and place ladder diffuser inside tank.

Good luck!

Thanks george I'll get some dried yeast tonight and fingers crossed that will work, still no sign of bubbles this morning. the yeast is a cheaper method anyway so hopefully that will produce the bubbles.

Thanks LondonDragon, thats exactly what im trying to acheive, if you get a min could you let me know some of the plants names that he has used, sorry im not very good with the technical names and identifying them yet!

silverteen said:
Thanks LondonDragon, thats exactly what im trying to acheive, if you get a min could you let me know some of the plants names that he has used, sorry im not very good with the technical names and identifying them yet!

Full setup:

Aquarius Title: Going Home
Volume (liters): 180
Age of Aquarius: 1
Size: (Length x Width x Height) 90x45x45 cm
Plants:
Fissidens fontatus
Rotala ‘Vietnam’
Microsorum sp.
Staurogyne sp.
Montagnei Vesicularia
Hygrophila sp araguia

Lighting:
1 x 150watts MH 4hrs
2 x 24watts 9hrs T5HO

Fish and Invertebrates:
Hyphessobrycon sp. peru blue / red end

Fertilizer, CO2 and substrate:
Substrate – ADA and ADA amazonia amazonia II. Total of 36kgs
Sand – sand bottom SUDO – 10kgs
Fertilization – No3 30ppm, 20ppm K, PO4 1.5ppm. ADA green gain, ECA and phyton git Occasionally.
Co2 – 3.5 bps, 10hrs

time for an update...

did a slight rescape using different driftwood i collected at the local beach, happier with these pieces, had 2 deliveries of plants, and now i feel i have all i want in terms of plants, just waiting for them to settle in and to fill some of the gaps.

hope the hairgrass covers the centre back wall and other pants grow to hide alot of the pipework behind the tank.

got the c02 system running well using yeast and baking soda, thanks george (again) for your help.

any comments advice always welcome... opinions good or bad...any do or donts? had some weird jelly like algae over one piece of driftwood which i threw as i doubt it was boiled long enough and some plants had bits of algae on them, so have bought a spray bar to be fitted in soon.

tank with first order of plants..
SAM_6147.jpg

as it is now after all plants added... front view
SAM_6159.jpg

side view
SAM_6167.jpg

Like the look of the scape like the idea of a forest look
You could try a black background use some card to see how it looks it will hide some of the equipment and give the impression of looking into a dark forest
Just my thoughts
Matt

I thought I posted on this yesterday lol maybe I did and didn't send haha.

Well what I thought I said was.

Very good start mate, plenty of plant mass, easy going plants and different (in a good way) scaping, keep ontop of you tank maintenance and it'll ggrow into a great tank, what are plan for stocking? How are you getting on with the diy co2?

Cheers

Just see Matts post, defo get a background mate.

The hardscape looks great and definitely gives the impression of the 'Forest Walk'.

Not much else to add to what's been said. A black background will help. Keep up the water changes, fertilisers, CO2 etc. and this will look great.

Well done!

Back