• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

80 x 40 x 40 Nature style

AndersH

Hello UKAPS.

My name is Anders I'm from Denmark and im 24. I've been lurking on the forums for a while and looking at some amazing scapes and journals, so I thought I might aswell make a journal.

I've been into planted tanks a few years so far, and spend most of that time reading up and looking at other peoples works rather than scaping alot myself, because lets face it, students don't have loads of cash to play with :)

The tank is a Aquastabil 80 x 40 x 40 oldfashioned style tank.

Light: Aquamedic 2 x 24 W T5, 965K also with a 150w MH but not planning on running that.
Filtration: Tetratec EX 1200 and a hydor koralia nano 900 L/H for extra flow.
Co2: Regular 6kg presurized via UP Aqua atomizer on the filter intake using the filter as a reactor

Substrate: Ada Aqua Soil
Hardscape: Seiryu stone and redmoor root plus a few Witch Hazel branches.

Plantlist:

(What I already got in store from the old aquarium somewhere moist and dark.)
Rotala rotundifolia
Pogostemon erectus
Microsorum pteropus
Staurogyne repens
Cryptocoryne wendtii "Tropica" and and a few wendtii greens aswell
Eleocharis paruvula and a few acicularis here and there in between

(Planning on ordering)
Hc cuba or glosso

Fauna:
Columbian red fin tetra
Lemon tetra
Alestes tetra
Oto's
Fake flying fox
Amano shrimps
RCS shrimps
A few Helena snails and some assassin snails.

So the first attempt at a scape looks like this:

img5836v.jpg

The plan is to put the Rotala at the right back corner with arms going towards the front and along the back. Maybe the microsorum in the middle of the root with some crypts underneath is.
The staurogynes in some spots on the slops and in the front with hairgrass around some of the rocks.
And then the plan is to order some hc cuba or glosso to cover the open space to the left.

The old scape looked like this a month or so ago:

I was tired with that design and the hydrocotyle started to take over everything, and I wanted to get rid of the akadama as it was way too light in my taste plus I wanted to try out the AS for my self. Also I wanted a clean start to try and get rid of some of the problems I had.
I'm using this to learn before I venture onto my 120 x 50 x 50 acyrlic tank thats waiting for me. I'm not good enough with the plants yet to dare to spend the cash on the big tank with the high possibility of failure, so I'm trying to give the plants the best they can get in this smaller environment.

Any comments on this so far? Could this work with a reasonable result and please be honest, am here to learn.

I like it. Have you got bits of plastic in to stop the slope shifting? If not, worth doing. The central two pieces of wood coming towards the front are too straight on. I'd also want a bit more wood at the top of the hill, or a big stone there... but that's just me! Important thing is looks like you can grow plants properly.

Thanks alot for the comment.

I thought about having some support on the slopes but I think you're right that they might be a worthwhile addition.

Added and moved a few branches. When looking at the picture I'm not really sure about the one to the far right. It somehow looks out of place. I might be able to find a thinner one. Also the stone right in the center doesn't fit in. I might swap it with the back left one.

Edit:

Moved the rocks around a bit. Which looks like this:

Looking much better imo. I still need to do something about the branch up the right side.

Back