• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

800 litre tank 84x26x26

Zan

Seedling
This is my first attempt at a planted tank. Have kept tropical fish for years but got a BIG tank very cheap and saw some of the stunning scapes on this forum and others and just had to have a go...

SETUP
800 litre tank
84in x 26in x 26in
Fluval FX5 filter
Co2 system: JBL Proflora m602
Aqua medic lighting fixture with 2 x 10000k halide bulbs
Substrate right: 80% Eco complete and 20% ada aqua soil
Substrate left: unipac white sand
Livestock: 40 red eye tetra, 10 corys, 2 silver dollars and a silver shark.
Plants: 50 random ordered from plants alive, hair grass.
Hardscape: unknown composition but look good

This being my first attempt, things didn't go in the order I think they should have, especially having live stock before plants, pictures follow from getting initial tank in November 2011 to now

Initial Tank Being Cleaned
img0221od.jpg

In the house on the cupboard, more cleaning
img0226rd.jpg

Clean and Getting Painted
img0249z.jpg

With Substrate and Hardscape, blue (20k halide bulbs) lights on
img0316xj.jpg

With Substrate and Hardscape, white(10k halide bulbs) lights on
img0317yye.jpg

Getting planted, fish were already in the tank at this stage and were all hiding...
img0346kb.jpg

Red Eye Tetra
img0347ev.jpg

Silver Dollars and Shark (Temp home for these fish until I can find a suitable foster home) with tetra
allfish.jpg

Feb 2012 Left Side
img0417uz.jpg

Feb 2012 Right Side
img0418gj.jpg

Feb 2012 Close Up on a couple of plants
img0420k.jpg

Once the plants were in; there was an outburst of white fungus everywhere about 2 weeks ago, and some of the tetra started getting white fungal growths, read up on it, and seemed like it was fin rot. Treated the whole tank with medication from pets home, which seemed to clear the fish up, but still lost about 5 tetra, not sure if the disease was introduced by the plants.

Currently the water has white particles in it everywhere, and not sure if it is the same fungus or if its just the filter not cleaning properly, advice welcome. See pic below.

Bad Water Quality
img0424tt.jpg

Let me know what you think of the tank, and am looking for some advice on the fungus issue, do i need to keep treating and for how long? After that just wondering if the plants I have in the tank are enough, will they grow if i do the correct dosing and fertilizing; would really like the hair grass to carpet the front right of the tank, but not getting much growth yet.

You have some Great stocking options with that size.
How are you finding the Red Eye Tetras, as they are some of the Worst Fin Nippers.

They seem to be doing ok, they do chase each other sometimes but then it just turns into a school and they swim happily together.

thats a monster tank to fill ... i just upgraded to 300ltr and panicked :lol: will keep watching with interest. sorry not a great one for advice cause im new too .. like your plateau style rock on the right and cant wait to see the plants grow in.

Zan said:
They seem to be doing ok, they do chase each other sometimes but then it just turns into a school and they swim happily together.

Probably due to the number of the shoal. Would be interesting to see how they react with new inhabitants. They get some nasty little teeth on them as they mature.

See this is why I am realising there is truth in the phrase "small is beautiful" LOL. This is going to be a STUNNING tank, but I could never be doing with something that big. Im far too lazy. I am looking forward to seeing this progress though :)

Gill said:
Probably due to the number of the shoal. Would be interesting to see how they react with new inhabitants. They get some nasty little teeth on them as they mature.

Teeth! now u have me worried...

Back