• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

80cm Long (86l) Custom

subterranean

Hi all,

I’m pleased to start my first journal, which will chart the course of a new custom 86 litre tank.

Specs:
  • Tank: 80x30x36cm custom braceless tank from forum sponsors Biotopia UK (thanks!)
  • Stand: DIY Ada-style
  • Filter: TetraEX600 plus, added purigen
  • Lighting: Chihiros A-Series plus
  • CO2: 2kg FE CO2 with UP inline atomizer
  • Substrate: Tropica Plant Growth Substrate and play sand
  • Ferts: EI
Background and planning

I was upgrading from a Rekord 60, and wanted this custom size to make better use of the space. As a custom order, I had plenty of time to create a stand, using this excellent thread (adapting the measurements and adding a middle shelf to suit my dimensions).

This is my first braceless tank and I was concerned about jumpers, so I went down to a local plastic sheet supplier, who custom cut me a 5mm piece of polycarbonate for a fiver. I strongly recommend trying this before paying over the odds online! I then cut holes for the filter using a spade drill bit, and cut into the holes from the edge using a hacksaw. The clips for the cover were found cheaply on Ebay. I got a piece of tank matting (5mm closed cell foam cut to size) from eFoam.

Setting up

My previous Juwel tank was low tech, and sat in the space where the new tank stands, so to setup the new tank, I part-emptied the Juwel, siphoning off as much substrate as possible. I then carefully slid the tank away with fish still inside, before setting up and levelling the new tank and stand. Next I added the new Tropica substrate, a retainer (plastic sheet from Ebay) then finally capped with old play sand from the previous tank. Here's a pic before the substrate was added:

ready-to-fill.jpg

I then set up the new filter (using media from the previous, smaller filter), added as much old tank water as I could to the new setup, planted, and then finally added the fish.

I was new to CO2 so waited until Day 2 before setting this up, to avoid any mistakes at 2am in the morning!

After initial setup, my stocking (from the previous tank) was:
  • 2x Harlequin Rasboras
  • 12x Green Neon Rasboras
  • 1x Amber Tetra
  • 6x Amano Shrimp
My plant list:

From the original tank:
  • Willow Moss
  • Cryptocoryne Wendtii
  • Another Cryptocoryne, which I'll give a pic of later for an ID
  • Anubias Nana
  • Narrow leaved Java Fern
New additions:
  • Staurogyne Repens
  • Fissidens Fonatanus
  • HM
FTS.jpg

That was almost four months ago, and my next post will explain what’s happened since! Thanks for looking.

Hi
Lovely looking tank.
Keep an eye on your flow arround the tank.Have been using tetratec ex700 on 60 cm and find it a little not strong enough for high tech tank U may need to add an extra pump when it grows in a bit more.
Regards Konsa

Thanks for your comments, all. I'm really pleased with the setup so far. The flow certainly isn't as much as I see on most people's tanks, but what would be the warning signs to look out for in terms of up'ing the flow?

The last pic was of the tank about a week after planting. I dosed half EI for the first three weeks, but was hit by cyanobacteria. This soon cleared up after I dosed with 'Ultra Life Blue Green Slime Stain Remover', and I then went full EI to keep the nitrate levels up, which has meant it hasn't (so far!) returned.

I added three Ottos to my cleanup crew, and six more Harlequin Rasboras to keep the existing two company. I also added a small bolbitis heudelotii plant to the tank in week one, which you can just about make out attached to the left piece of wood on my original pic; and moved the heater to the back, where it's less visible.

Like I said, this is my first time using pressurised CO2 and I've been delighted with the results! This is the tank at three months:

FTS-7-Aug-2017.jpg

Algae-wise, I had a bit of a BBA bloom when a faulty atomiser caused fluctuating CO2 levels, but that's since been replaced by CO2Art. My main issue at the moment is that the glass has quite a bit of green spot algae when I come to clean it during the weekly water change. I've improved this by blocking off direct sunlight during the day, but it's not resolved the issue entirely. Any ideas?

Thank you :)

Back