• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

80cmx45cmx45cm Low-Tech Opti White (Update: Fish Pics )

And that's why odessa barbs are the fish I wish I had a tank big enough to keep. Such beautiful fish.

At one of the local MA stores they have full grown Odessas in a display tank they are fully black with the red stripe along side, totally amazing looking.

Yeah, they get big I remember my uncle having some in his big tank and they were some 15cm's long, a really beautiful fish.

Hi Spang

My amazon swords look the same, showing brown vanes..

Have you started donsing Iron or the TPN plus as suggested? If you have, please let us know if theres been any visable changes to date or in future

Wow, them odessa's are stunning mate! The tank is looking mighty fine as well :D Im jealous :oops:

Mark Evans said:
I'm sold on those barbs. I'm off to see if i can get some.

They are lovely you won't regret it, they need a lot of room though cause they are one active fish!

Garuf said:
Yeah, they get big I remember my uncle having some in his big tank and they were some 15cm's long, a really beautiful fish.

They are only meant to get to 10cm max size and apparently that is rare in home aquaria where usually they only reach a max size of 7.5 cms , of course this is the first time I have kept these fish so I don't have any first hand knowledge yet. I hope they don't grow that big cause I am gonna run out of room for them!

greenjar said:
Hi Spang

My amazon swords look the same, showing brown vanes..

Have you started donsing Iron or the TPN plus as suggested? If you have, please let us know if theres been any visable changes to date or in future

I only got the TPN+ in the post yesterday, so have only just started dosing that. so no change yet, but I will keep you posted as to my progress. :)

Some more pics! :)

Me taking them this time so they aren't as good as my wifes! ><

5d611a1da7e3e90d.jpg

5d611a1da7f62c52.jpg

5d611a1da8057b3f.jpg

5d611a1da805dc8c.jpg

5d611a1da80efb41.jpg

5d611a1da8191dbe.jpg

5d611a1da821c72f.jpg

5d611a1da823f9d5.jpg

5d611a1da828337a.jpg

Added 12 Lemon Tetras the other day they are pretty little fish, water quality still seems fine too! :)

Adding the Lemon Tetras seems to have pulled the Odessa Barbs out of there shell more, which is great! Feeding time is now a total frenzy! The tank overall looks more alive now! :D

I have been dosing 2ml liquid carbon daily, and started spot dosing that where I have diatoms on plants which seems to be clearing that slowly. So I will continue doing that. Seeing a bit more growth now I have started adding TPN+. Time will tell if it will solve seeing brown veins on the sword leaves.

Anyone know the best way to trim Pogostemon Helferi?

Well tank has been running a fair few weeks now. TPN+ seems to have helped the plants a bit the swords are doing much better now.

I have had two Odessa barbs jump from the tank, One on day two and one this morning. No idea why they do like to chase each other a lot so I guess that's why. Water quality is great.

I was getting quite a bit of brown diatoms I have added 3 Otos now the water chemisrty has settled, and they seem to be tackling that. I am however getting some green looking algae on my sand and on the very, very bottom of the glass where it meets the sand, I have never had this type of algae before so don't really know which one it is. Or what to do about it. I will see if I can get a good picture of it tonight.

All in all the tanks is looking good. But I feel sad about the two odessas. After the first i was worried but then it has been about 4 weeks and no problems but now a second. I guess it is the danger of having an open top rimless tank with such lively fish. :(

Shot of the algae I am suffering from at the moment.

5d611a1d684b7548.jpg

I thought it was green spot algae, but all the descriptionsI have read about that says it grows on plant leaves and glass. This is 99% on the sand and a tiny amount on the glass right at the bottom. Any ideas?

Also I got home from work tonight to find a thick scum on the surface of the tank, I have re-positioned the powerhead and cleaned as much off as I can. Strange!

I am sorting through some pictures the wife took and will up load some in a bit! :)

looks like bga/cyano...

up your nitrates a bit and try and increase the flow in the area...

edit: nelson and matt beat me to it...

Back