• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90 x 45 x 45 - Made in Peru (Angels and plants)

Wicked Fish

Seedling
Hello all,

This is my journal for my planted tank started here in Lima, Peru. I am from the UK and love the posts on this forum so decided to keep my log on here. As with several others I anticipate this will be a log for my own keeping track.

Tank Details

Made in Peru 90cm x 45cm x 45cm, poor silicon job but the best I could get built here.
Filter - Fluval 305 canister
Media - active carbon, bio tubes, purigen, peat.
Substrate - ADA Amazionia 2 normal and powder
Stone - found in Andes foothills
Plants - Glosso, anubus petit, crypt wendii tropica, a twisty grass variety, red stem, green stem and HC.
Light - Hamilton technologies Metal Halide 175W and 2 x 39 watt T5HO (8000k)
Cabinet - Custom made in Peru
Fish - several colours of Angels
CO2 - Paintball tank, easy as the paintball place is two blocks away.

beec25b0-5ebb-79f0.jpg

Setting Up the hard scape
beec25b0-5ed3-4afb.jpg

Using tights filled with dirt as substrate saver
beec25b0-5f2e-bffd.jpg

Hard scape finished
beec25b0-5f59-7afa.jpg

Dry start for the Gloso

beec25b0-5fbd-6cc2.jpg

You can nearly see the gloso!

I should explain that getting a hold of plants for aquariums in Lima for those that don't speak English proved very difficult to start with. I have since found a place where he will take my list a get plants after about four weeks. I continue!

beec25b0-605f-fbc1.jpg

Several plants did not like dry start!

beec25b0-63f6-df45.jpg

Real Amazonian stream in the middle of the jungle, unfortunately agreements with the communities mean I cant take any plants!

beec25b0-6128-d68a.jpg

HC planted and water added

beec25b0-616d-d723.jpg

FTS

beec25b0-6196-744c.jpg

Angels added

beec25b0-61b8-2f66.jpg

beec25b0-61c5-0551.jpg

beec25b0-61d4-6b11.jpg

That's all for now, currently working on lighting to get a decent FTS. Using a Sony NEX5N with 18mm - 55mm and the MH lighting.

Cheers

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ucm552

Very cool journal.

I'm sure i'm got someone on my Google+ page running an aquascaping Peru website whom would be a great contact for you. I'll check later and get back to you.

am wondering what lfs you found in Lima. When i was there the Only one i found was a few minutes from the airport in the back streets of Callao. They had a lot of plants and every display tank was planted, But all common plants nothing rare. The shop front said 'sera'. (as in the manufacturer.)

apparently there is a really amazing lfs, with much cheaper prices, about an hours drive out of Lima. Do you want me to call my Peruvian friends to see if i can find directions for it?

Wow awsome, thanks guys! I have been using a LFS in Surco, it is also a Sera shop. The guy that runs the place can obviously get his hands on plants but takes a while and higher than UK prices!

I have heard about a good place North of the airport but that is a long way across town for me.

Had a small incident with a water change, the hose and a four year old assistant that thought the tank was filling too slowly! Lucky we have tile floors and I only had to replant a small portion of the tank after they were jet washed out of place.

Anyway, Angels settled now and plants continuing to progress. All except the HC which the Angels insist in plucking out of the ADA powder type.

Video and more photos shortly, will have new photos at least once a week as the tank fills in.

Any more contacts in Peru would be great!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wgaswq

Back