• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Dry Start Question

Hi All,

Seeing George Farmer's wonderful tank in the journal and reading about the dry start method has made a question pop into this tiny brain of mine that I can't find an answer to on here. (It may exist but I can't find it).

My tank is in my workplace so I don't get to attend to it seven days a week. It's a very cold building this time of year and I don't think the DSM method would work. No problem, I'm going to start the tank in the normal way.

However....

I'm sure most people agree that the pics of the moss on the wood look stunning, and the idea of painting a blend of moss and yoghurt onto my pieces of wood really appeals. Could you start the tank off in the normal way, ie planting damp and filling with about 8 inches water depth leaving the bigger bogwood branching out into dry air. Paint the solution onto the wood (being careful not to contaminate the water) and cover. Maybe putting a t-bar into the co2 outlet so a higher level is in the atmosphere above water. The water temperature should keep the air temperature above it warm, and as long as it's covered, the condensation should keep the humidity up. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I don't think I'd be able to keep the temperature and humidity high enough, especially at the weekends or if I have a long weekend away from the studio.

Back