• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A list of Foreground grasses... anywhere/anyone?

niru

Hello Everybody!

my LFS is currently selling "Organic/Bio plants from Thailand" (as mentioned on their advertising board :? ), essentially uncultivated plants picked from Thai streams I guess. Amongst them is a great looking grass variety (no photo right now, but will get one). It looks like one of the Eleocharis, but am not sure. Unfortunately these people havent got a clue as to what plants they have (except for some crypts etc). I hunted on the web to check if such grass exists & whats it called, but not much success...

Do we have a list (maybe pics) of all possible foreground grasses?? Once I have a pic I will upload it for sure.

Thanks
-niru

I have got rare crypts very cheap before from LFS' that just get a random order of unlabelled stuff in.
To them it is 'just a crypt' or 'just a grass' :)

:D

Cool! I also go this grass (right now with me in my office 8) ). But I have spent entire afternoon trying identifying it, but hasnt helped :(

cheers! BTW, any good listing page for these?? I have tried the usual suspects.... all of them. None looks like the one I have. Its closer to Lilaeopsis or Eleocharis, but no leaf width as such, individual grasslets joined by a runner, bright fresh green, and about 3-4 inches tall. Rightnow its sitting in the rockwool..

-niru

There is a plant finder over on APC (and a few others, but I forget where).
But I would also look up plant finder in google, and try out some others (i.e. non aquatic hobby ones) as they are more likely to have stuff outside of the hobby. Might be tough to find it though, but good luck :)

It's not Acorus Gramineus Pusillus or something along those lines is it? When you say "grass" do you mean very fine leaves like Eleocharis, or slightly broader leaves like a sagittaria subulata or rush sort of plant?

Hi Steve

this is the grass I got:

08042011721.jpg

The lfs gal said its from Thailand. To me it looks similar to Eleocharis, but then it ought to be from Americas or Africa and not Southeast Asia, right?
It had a lot of runners with closely stacked blades (rizhome like??). The blade is pretty hard, firm, sturdy to feel and more rounder than flat.

Any ideas?

:D

I also thought so.... so tried in some salad... ;)

.... :sick: but didnt taste like one! Yuk :woot:

It's a Lilaeopsis sp.
Which one I can not tell from the pic.
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis is the most common.

How tall is it?

(Check out my 3l vivarium nano, I am using a lilaeopsis as a background in that tank.)

Hi Matt
It's not l.b. Because I already had that and this doesn't look like it. it's about 4 inches tall. To me it seems to a wild variety ...

Hi George

the Tropica picture of L. Macloviana shows nodes on the grass, and it mentions Pampas South America as its place of origins. The LFS have a special SouthAsia Thailand sale from where I picked this up.

I did think it looked taller than brasiliensis in the pic. But as to which one it is instead, I am stumped.

It looks nice though, good find :)

Thanks Matt. The grass is surely not a rossette type.. rhizomes with closely separated blades. BTW the blades break easily when folded.

Hi all,
Going to be difficult to say until/unless it flowers. It could be a Juncus or Eleocharis (Rush/Spike Rush) species as these genera are pretty well cosmopolitan. As an example the UK native "weed", Soft Rush (Juncus effusus) is also found in SE Asia and so is E. acicularis.

How about the Chinese Water Chestnut? - Eleocharis dulcis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleocharis_dulcis>

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel

many thanks, will check!

How about Shoreweed (Littorella Uniflora), though if its from Thailand is... I dont know?!

Guys

I guess I got it!

Is it Lilaeopsis Mauritiana by any change?? Can someone confirm/refute this?

I have to wait a few weeks before seeing any growth in the tank. I hope theres not much meltdown of leaves..

niru said:
Guys

I guess I got it!

Is it Lilaeopsis Mauritiana by any change?? Can someone confirm/refute this?

I have to wait a few weeks before seeing any growth in the tank. I hope theres not much meltdown of leaves..
That was my original thought, but my understanding was that it stays shorter. I may be wrong though - not the first time and certainly not the last!

Many thanks George and Matt!!

Perhaps the emmersed height is too tall? Will have to wait & watch how & if it gains foothold in the tank.

Cheers
Niru

Back