• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A little introduction

Dr. White

Howdy all.

Being out of the aquatics hobby for a few decades now, I have just bought myself a cube tank and am looking forward to creating a planted masterpiece! ;)

I have a fair bit of experience in aquatics (I worked in an aquatics shop for a couple of years) but never had any luck with plants in the past. With the technology and knowledge around now, I am very much hoping to change that!

I work as an Aquatic Ecologist and have a PhD in Freshwater Ecology, an MSc in Limnology and a BSc in Marine and Freshwater Biology, so I hope I can in some small way also provide some useful help to other members. My knowledge of native British freshwater plants is good, but I am yet to discover many of the tropical species available to the aquarist. It is a journey I am looking forward to, and hope to have many interesting discussions with you all.

Cheers,
Dr. White

welcome! With that resume, I can see you being tagged on many posts!
Thank you, and I'm always happy to help where I can. Though I am also here for help, much has changed in terms of equipment and the skills people have since I last had an aquarium! I've been watching lots of YouTube and am ready to take the plunge. I have a tank I picked up secondhand and an external canister filter and stand are on the way. I'm not rushing it, I want to try and make the right choices first time to get a nice low tech planted tank.

Welcome to the forum, are you planning on injecting C02?
Thank you. I have no intention to at the moment. I plan to keep it low tech in that sense, and start off with undemanding plants. But I am going to invest in decent quality equipment and a good substrate. I want to get lighting that should fancy injecting CO2 later, it will keep up with it.

Ok that is great, you may want to look at using ground for a substrate, it it often termed as a ‘dirted tank’
Tim, has a great thread here Soil Substrate or Dirted Tank - A How to Guide
It is certainly a challenge to get a lush looking low tech tank but as Tim has proved, quite possible!

Welcome.
Consider starting a journal where you can keep your journey, info, questions, musings, photos etc all in one place for easy access by yourself and others.
Good luck!
Thank you, and great idea, I will!

Back