• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A New aquatic gardener....be gentle!

Steveyg81

Hi,

Iv been a member for some time, and have mainly read other peoples work and it has taught me a lot. So I think it is time I put my tank on here because im getting really into the planted aquarium, but im a little bit lacking at the moment when it comes to scaping, plant choice etc.

To start with, my tank:-
Jewel Vision 180
Eheim 2217

The light at the mo is pretty pathetic, its a single T8 30" bulb, so as you will see, i am kind of limited on plants. Iv managed to get hold of a pair of Aquawave Fusion LED bulbs and they will be fitted as soon the power pack arrives (any day now :) ).

Until recently I just had a sand substrate, with some bogwood, slate and synthetic plants. It was ok for the kribs but i never really fell in love with the view when i looked at the tank.
My planted journey began when i ordered the 36" collection from plantsalive. I meticulously planted the collection, but realised after a couple of weeks that plants need feeding too :?

This is how it looked then...
2012-02-22212021.jpg

It took me a bit of reading on here to realise that 1) I needed to find a way of feeding them! and 2) my lighting was pap :rolleyes: .

Now we roll forward about 2 months....the plants are dying off, well, the high light dependant ones anyway, and it looked a general sorry sight.
I was going to try an El Natural style, with soil and sand etc but i decided against it.

Eventually i bit the bullet and decided that, using the tank, filter, lights that i have i wanted to try harder, and attempt a proper planted tank.

It all began one afternoon before i started a night shift, I was doing a water change and just decided (as sometimes my impulses will do) to get some decent substrate. The following 2 hours were a bit of a blur, a mad dash to paddock farm, purchased substrate, dashed home.....i had to leave for work at 6!! :mad:

I bought some Oliver Knott nature soil because id read it didnt leach ammonia and i had nowhere to store my stock!

I moved the fish temporarily into an 80l toy bucket with filter and heater and emptied the tank.

Soil went in, sloping back to front (i learnt that here ;) )
Put in some of the plants i had left and positioned the bogwood.

This is what it looked like, it has the addition of a few crypts, some lileaopsis brasiliensis and echinodorus tennelus.
My first proper attempt at a planted tank...
2012-03-26210251.jpg

Since this pic, iv faffed about with the layout, bought some more swords, and im slowing buying some more foreground plants (thank you antipofish :D )

These are a few shots of today, because i want my journal to start from now
2012-04-23203041.jpg

2012-04-23203222.jpg

2012-04-23203427.jpg

2012-04-23203554.jpg

2012-04-23203611.jpg

2012-04-23203627.jpg

Forgive the quality.....these are all from my mobile.

The stocking is getting an overhaul too, the angels, polka dot loach and gourami are going to lfs for credit.

At the moment i want some more variety of plants, but i dont want CO2 system. I currently use root tabs, TNC Complete and easycarbo.

With that in mind, does anyone have any ideas for more plants??

To be honest, any criticism in general is very welcome, good or bad. I would gladly bow to experience than waste my cash! 8)

Anyway, iv rabbled on far too long....thank you for getting this far if you did!!!

I look forward to responses

Cheers, Steve.

Cant believe you get store credit for returning fish are lfs round here would laugh at us!

I do...that is get store credit for returning fish; but not only fish, also plants...which is fortunate since mine often outgrow my tank (both fish and plants), and reach sizes they are not supposed to.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your post...carry on regardless :D !

Hi mate,
looking good, if youre wanting a bit more plant variety, maybe try some anubias species which will grow along your wood. Theyre pretty undemanding so should suit your liquid carbon c02 dosing. Also maybe some aponogeton (bulb) plants. They grow tall and have an interesting 'wave/crinkled' leaf shape and again are pretty undemanding. There is reports of vallis 'melting' with liquid carbon, so the aponogeton could add height if this happens. If your wanting a splash of colour, another bulb plant is the Nymphaea species, an underwater lily which has a red variety. They have both aponogeton and lily's in Paddock Farms large planted display tank.
Shame your getting rid of the angels, i think they really suit the tank and the style of planting and hardscape. I can see them with a few rams or hardier bolivian rams in the lower water colum looking great.
As a side, dont know how long youve had the substrate in, but i was under the impression Oliver Knott did leach ammonia initially..... maybe worth investigating, not that theres much you can do about it now except maybe increase the frequency of your water changes.
Good start,
cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Hi mate,
maybe try some anubias species which will grow along your wood. Theyre pretty undemanding so should suit your liquid carbon c02 dosing. Also maybe some aponogeton (bulb) plants. They grow tall and have an interesting 'wave/crinkled' leaf shape and again are pretty undemanding.
Ady.

I totally agree with Ady some Anubias tied to your wood and apogenton could also look great. You could also try other types of Crypts as these vary in leaf shape and colour. Crypt Balansae could be another alternative to apongeton to give some extra height at the back.

Good effort keep going,

Andy

Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments.

My pay day shopping list so far reads -

- A collection of anubias
- Aponogeton bulbs
- Crypts, including balansae.
- Nymphea bulb/s

Im going to go plant heavy, I like the organized messy chaos look. Also my power pack for the lights arrive on friday so will post pics of those.
Is there any way of roughly working out an equivalent wattage for led bulbs? Iv got 2 aquawave fusion bulbs, the 690mm ones.

Steveyg81 said:
My pay day shopping list so far reads -

- A collection of anubias
- Aponogeton bulbs
- Crypts, including balansae.
- Nymphea bulb/s

Im going to go plant heavy,

Hi & welcome :D .

That's a novel idea to go heavily planted.

Stevey81,...i'd be careful with the leds though. I am not sure about the WPG ratio for led lighting.
IMHO it's better to stick with the T8s. It will give you more time to react to any unforseen event like algae, plant melts etc.
What's the size of your tank in terms of US gallons please? Is it about 47 us gallons?

Thanks for the warning, I will keep a close eye, I can always swap it back if it goes pear shaped!!

I think my tank is 46 USG.

Back