Journal A nursery for my Carinotetraodon Travancoricus.

alto

If your tap water is soft, I find H micrathemoides is much more forgiving than Rotala rotundifolia or Rotala ‘Green’ (which really prefers CO2 to thrive, though it can linger on) re light and nutrients
It won’t have the dense/broader leaf seen in high tech set ups (with CO2) - more a slender leaf with longer internode distance and more delicate stem

R Vietnam H’ra will still be quite pink even in low tech (and relatively low light)

Steve Buce

Got a load of red ramshorn snails if youre interested, to add to the snail farm
Just pay postage, royal mail bit unreliable at the mo , even first class, bit if you want to give it a try let me know
Steve

castle

@Steve Buce That would be awesome, I'll PM!

As for a minor update, doubling the dose has seen algae in the tank multiply, but the new growth in the Rotala is vibrant and it has shot up a few centimetres. Doubling every other day is certainly too much, so I will scale back slightly - double dose once a week, maintain a single daily dose after. Lights are getting reduced by 10% too back to 60%. I will start to explore different stems too, adding Pogostemon erectus most likely. I wouldn't mind doing a blackout soon too.

Also, I really would like a programmable light.

castle

About 2 months, or 9 week update

23.jpg

I’ll bullet point the main changes

• I removed a lot of the frogbit - added some more, and cut all of the older plants roots off.
  • I added some Cryptocoryne cosata which is these long green leaves highlighted below
  • There is more Cryptocoryne albida brown in the foreground
  • Added some Crytopcoryne lutea hobbit - this hasn’t done much.
  • Added Pogostemon erectus to trial.
  • Mulberry leaves added
  • More Alder cones and small branches added.

Labelled:

2 months-highlights.jpg

I can’t say what’s killing the BBA, but plant growth has shot up and the Cryptocorynes in the tank - especially the Usteriana - are putting out some serious growth. Rotala is at the surface. I have also carried out a major water change in the last week, which is effectively a 100% water change - I remove 10L to a bucket for the inhabitants, drain the tank, refill the tank, drain the tank again and then refill. Trying to hit the BGA hard, but BBA may have taken the brunt (and I’m not bothered by BBA at all, annoyingly).

IMG_2442.JPG

bba dying

The aquarium now has a stained look, but that’s fine - comes from the alder cones.

As for the female, she’s been rejecting frozen food.

All in all, looking OK. I don’t think I’ll be adding any more plants now, but I will be adding some root tabs to the front left and mid. Slowly replanting Rotala on the right too.