• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A record of my low tech experiment

, I use all 3 bulbs for 6 hours

Wow, I've got 11 watt over a 30cm cube and have some green spot algae and, for the first time, staghorn algae. And that was with co2 at 1bps! I've decided to take the co2 off the tank and run low tech to breed yet more shrimp. The shrimp may have bred with co2 but not taking the risk. It did take a while for the algae to appear though so you may be in for some after all...

Wow, I've got 11 watt over a 30cm cube and have some green spot algae and, for the first time, staghorn algae. And that was with co2 at 1bps! I've decided to take the co2 off the tank and run low tech to breed yet more shrimp. The shrimp may have bred with co2 but not taking the risk. It did take a while for the algae to appear though so you may be in for some after all...
They are fairly old bulbs about 50 cm above the substrate, as long as it's not bba I'm happy to have a little algae as long as it doesn't take over :lol: it's free shrimp food after all :)

it's free shrimp food after all

I do like a bit of algae in the shrimp tank for exactly that purpose. Especially, if it is a new colony, I'll leave almond leaves and alder cones in there and the algae for the shrimps to graze until I have a high enough population.

Snails are awesome in a shrimp tank, enough said. <-- bit random but tis true!

Reactions: tim
11437810326_86e352ef42_z.jpg

Quick pic just for the record so to speak I've added some pogo erectus, I've also cut back the tennelus to remove a little algae which was on the leaves from the tank it came from interested to see how long it takes to grow back in. Also a few pinholes developing in the staurogyne lower leaves so I've upped the ferts a little. All in all ticking along nicely.

Clean, lush & lovely looking.
Any chance of a pic at some point to show how much surface agitation there is ?

Totally missed this. How are you finding the soil. My shrimp seem to like it but is not buffering quite like some other shrimp soils.

Regarding surface movement, I have close to that on my high tech! And I dose LC .... STILL get algea!

Looking to notch mate

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Totally missed this. How are you finding the soil. My shrimp seem to like it but is not buffering quite like some other shrimp soils.

Regarding surface movement, I have close to that on my high tech! And I dose LC .... STILL get algea!

Looking to notch mate

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
Tbh I only test ph and Tds tapwater is 7 ph Tds of 320 ish tank is ph. 6.6 Tds of a steady 250 so it's doing a good enough job for my cherries but I think I'd use something else for crs etc.
top job tim, very satisfying these little shrimp tanks hey mate. Low tech has so many virtues... :happy:
Thanks Iain :) low tech is very appealing for sure.

Tim,,I just read through the whole journal,.....I am so sorry for being such a stranger these days . The choices of plants, the complementing colors of your rocks and black colored substrate look so spot on mate. Congratulations . :) I am so happy for you. Hope you are having a blast with this. :) Looking forward to seeing it mature nicely.

This look great Tim , it's pushing me into going low tech for my next project .
It's another example of a tank with healthy plants without addition of co2 or liquid carbon,
What's your water change regime ? Do you add any ferts ? What's the substrate ?
Cheers

Sent from my mobile telecommunications device

Back