• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A shabby first attempt at a planted tank, but hopefully Chic!!

Paul Kettless

I though that some of you may be interested in seeing my attempt at a planted aquarium, but most importantly constructive criticism and advise is always welcome.

When I first joined this forum, I was planning a planted discus tank, but having not kept either discus or plant successfully before, I decided that it was best to learn about plants first, so the fauna will be a community tank.

An issue for me was SWMBO (how many times have we heard that one) even though Michelle loves fish, and was not that bothered about the size of the aquarium, she does not like shop bought cabinets etc, especially as it is situated in our lounge/diner and the majority of our furniture is painted in the shabby chic style.

Therefore, the best option for me was to find a second hand tank, and renovate it to the style that would suit our home. I have to be honest and say that this was also the preferred option for me too, but I wont tell her that just yet ;)

Final full tank shot:

http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/P...Tank/IMAG0043_zpsr2zqetgz.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

Title:

Dimensions: 5x2x2 (sorry still work old school) approx 460l after displacement(ish)

CO2: API liquid C02 booster (pressurised system to follow when funds allow)

Filtration: 2 x APS 2000 ef with 9w uv in both

Lights: 2 x Beamsworks 48 led green element 10k (from my old reef) most probably will need replacing in the future

Photo Period: 6 hours at present 12 noon till 6pm

Fertilisation: Tropica Plant growth (EI dosing ordered, so not yet started) API root tabs.

Substrate: Tropica Plant growth, John Innes #3, capped with black unipac aqua gravel 2-4mm, unipac silver sand in river bed area.

Hardscape: Redmoor, slate, various pebbles and stones

Flora: Anubias Barteri Nana, Amazon Swords, Echinodorous bleheri, Hygrophilia angustifolia and a few others that I dont know the name of as my local lfs has reasonably healthy plants but they are not labelled:( yet, I feel obliged to support my local shops a bit:)

Fauna: 6 x sissortails Rasbora trilineata and 2 x Mollies, Poecilia latipinna, partner would like some form of angels, daugther loves clown loaches and corys)

I would like to say to you that I have followed a theme, but the truth is I havent at all. I picked what was available to me in terms of hardscape and plants, sifted through numerous pictures of fellow tank keepers and decided that i liked the idea of 2 planted areas with a sand base running through it. Im pleased with the outcome, and I hope that you guys like it too...... as I said go easy on me, as this is my very first attempt at aquacaping anything other than a reef tank.;);)

IMAG0045_zpsjfvrd1ep.jpg
well i was hoping I had added a picture, technology is def not my strong point:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks amazing! There is another plant that is not a true aquatic plant on the right. The one with the green and white leaf. I might be wrong as difficult to see in pics.

Hi all,
Tank and cabinet look really good.

I think the other are right about some of the plants. Dracaena and Acorus are both non-aquatics.

Also the plant in front of Dracaena, just behind the pebbles with the dark linear leaf, looks like it might be Ophiopogon, another non-aquatic. If it is Ophiopogon it will have stiff leaves.

Details are here: <"21 plants to avoid.....">.

cheers Darrel

Wow, well thanks for some positive feedback, and many thanks for the heads up on the plant identification. I have to say that I am very disappointed in the lfs, I accept that plants may not be labelled, but to sell plants that are not even for aquatic use is beyond believable to me:mad: And obv as a novice, I would have been none the wiser, and assumed that it was something I was doing/not doing as to why they were dying. Thanks to you guys, I now know better.

I stated in my previous post that I like to support lfs as much as possible, but I have learnt my lesson already. In future I will make sure that my purchases are from a reputable trader, (sponsors on here) and that they are clearly labelled so that I know what I am getting. I will remove the imposters asap. The lfs in question has healthy livestock, and friendly staff, and I will happily buy fish from them, but i will def be sure to tell them my findings on my next visit. I hate being ripped off

Its just baffling to see what might be a healthy section of plants rows of nice vallis or potted section of aquatic plants with houseplants! What do shops hope to gain a quick sale obviously at the expense of their repution,stupid logic

Tank looks good!

Just a shame shops still sell these non-aquatic plants. So frustrating when I see these in a LFS.

It's a statement for their stupidity.. :) Nurseries offer them as terrarium only plants, e.g. Dennerle does and also list them as such in their database.
These (aquarium) shops don't even look at this database just order a random collection from the nursery if not the whole collection with the guess they are all aquarium plants.

Looking at the photos, could anyone give me some suggestions of suitable plants for the positions that now need to be filled.

Many thanks in advance

Back