• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Absolute Beginner’s Descent into Madness with a Superfish Scaper 90L

Day 43 :

Planted up the Helanthium tenellum, aka Pygmy Chain Sword, aka Floaty Floaty Pain in the Bum. Oh my god I hate this substrate, or is it always this hard planting underwater?

IMG_7984.jpeg

First experience with Tropica 1-2 tubs. They seem pricey, but they can cram quite a few plants into those little pots :

IMG_7985.jpeg

In the end I found the fancy aquascaping tweezers were no use, my best bet was to hold it down in the substrate with thumb and forefinger, flicking neighbouring bits of substrate over it with the other fingers (the other hand was holding down other links in the chain to stop them lifting the whole thing up). After an hour or so of cursing and swearing, I got it in … mostly.

IMG_7987.jpeg

Try as I might I just could not get more of those roots to stay under ... and if I tried too hard the bloody thing would just make a break for the surface again. I'm hoping the roots will grow longer and anchor things better over time (and any new plants from runners figure things out for themselves). Fingers crossed, it's not like I've just added a bunch of creatures famous for churning up substrate or anything is it?

Oh.

Ah well, at least I’ve removed that HOB filter, with that blasting away the bottom of the tank (the outflow was near the front too) the Helanthium wouldn’t have lasted 5 seconds.

After all that, time for a treat, and another trip to a store recommended on this forum, Wholesale Tropicals in Bethnal Green. Wowsers, another great discovery, and this one is actually reasonably local to me. For me personally it loses a couple of points for in having no information other than scientific name and price on the tanks (no indication of size, difficulty, behaviour, parameters, etc), so I guess they’re targeting more experienced aquarists … either that or they just really like being asked lots of stupid questions. But the selection of plants and fish was incredible, so I will definitely be back, many times.

So, at this point, the tank was definitely what some might call “cycled” others might call “in active plant growth”, not exactly matured/seasoned, but I felt it was ready for some more inhabitants. By this point I had read hundreds of articles and forum posts, and watched countless youtube videos about potential additional fish for a community tank, but over the past week or two a lot of those had been pushed out of my mind by an exciting alternative option. One that would hopefully add another link in the food chain, one that has a relatively low bio-load, one that might even breed (if the guppies and hydra don’t get the offspring first).

Well, hello there little guy (or gal)

IMG_7992.jpeg

I was actually after Cherry Reds, but they were out of stock, so they offered me a discount on half a dozen Bloody Marys instead. “This one’s pregnant” he noticed as he fished the last one out, bonus.

Possibly I should have held out for the Cherry Reds and come back another day. My fault, I didn’t realise Bloody Mary’s were a different lineage rather than just a higher grade, so if I want to bump up the population now I need to stick with (slightly more expensive, slightly harder to find) Bloody Mary’s or risk ending up with a colony of brown shrimp. “But why up the population?” you may wonder, “six is plenty to begin with and one is about to have a few dozen babies”. Well …

Sadly the berried/pregnant one never actually made it into the tank. Obviously in a more delicate state, the shock of transport and acclimatisation (too fast or too slow, I actually suspect the latter) was too much for her. So, 40 days in and my first “fish” death. Much sooner than I would have hoped. It was only a tiny one, but it’s pretty gutting isn’t it? Did I mention the differing colours and patterns of the guppies have enabled our son to give them all individual names? Are we going to regret that in the long run? Eventually, inevitably, yes. I just hope it’s in a year or two, rather than in a month or two (though one thing I’ve noticed looking around various shops is that our guppies are mostly pretty big compared to others, I don’t think they exactly have their whole lives still ahead of them :confused:.)

And as for the other five shrimp, well, they’re still alive … I think. But 90% of the time when you’re looking at the tank you wouldn’t bloody know it. “Come Son, sit by the tank and play the new game ‘where’s shrimpy’, hours of gameplay, only occasional reward” “No thanks Dad, I’d rather play Lego Superheroes”.

I know some people would say this was inevitable with Poecilia “what’s that? whatever it is, I think I’ll try and eat it” reticulata and Neocaridina “kinda small, kinda tasty, kinda nervous” davidi, but actually from the start neither species seemed particularly bothered with or by the other. It’s just that the shrimp are really good at hiding, and, well, really small. Even if they’re just happily sitting and munching up some biofilm, unless they’re right at the front, they are generally impossible to spot. Sit close and stare, stare really hard, stare really hard for a really long time, you might just see one. I’d be convinced that a bunch of them had just died out of sight and there was only one left, but once in a blue moon you might see two at the same time. Hopefully they’ll come out of their shells at some point.

Boom. Boom.

Last edited:
Hi
Cut the Pygmy Chain Sword into single plants or sections of two or three plants and re-plant....long runs make them come out of the substrate easily!

Hi
Cut the Pygmy Chain Sword into single plants or sections of two or three plants and re-plant....long runs make them come out of the substrate easily!

Thanks for the tip.

I had acted on the assumption that a few well rooted ones would hold any potential escapees down ... it seems the opposite was the case 🤦‍♂️

I am tempted to resort to some lead strips to hold them down by their runners until the roots grow in, but am resisting it for now because of its potential toxicity. (I have searched threads here which would be reassuring, but unfortunately I have both definitely lead lead strips, and reasonably acidic water thanks to my substrate)

Diary of an anxious shrimp watcher

Day 48 :

Shrimp sightings are getting fewer and further between.

IMG_8036.jpeg

I am lucky if I spot one more than once every 24 hours, and never more than one at a time. I sit staring glumly at the tank, willing them to appear. When supposedly watching TV I have one eye on that tank hoping that one will suddenly swim by, I keep on seeing dark shapes moving among the roots of the floaters, but when I hop up to look they are just snails.

I don’t see any corpses, but I am convinced that another four have died out of sight, there seems to have been a tiny blip in ammonia (although it is so hard to read the tests consistently and accurately, especially when “natural light” is at a premium) which could possibly be explained by one or more tiny corpses hidden amongst the plants.

I feel bad for the now solitary shrimp, but I don’t want to add any more to my presumably lethal tank. What could have killed them all?

• They came in from the shop diseased ? - that’s just wishful thinking to offset my guilt, even if they were diseased it's unlikely they'd appear thriving in the shop and then all die the next day.
  • Starvation ? - there should be a tonne of biofilm in my tank (as well as the odd bit of leftover fish food and even a sad little sprinkling of shrimp food), but perhaps the snails have hoovered it all up (with a little help from the guppies)
  • Set upon by the guppies when I wasn’t looking ? - seems doubtful
  • Bad water parameters ? - Neocaridina should apparently be fine in London water, but my substrate is doing all kinds of funky stuff to my pH and KH. Could the substrate be stripping out the calcium somehow?
  • Toxins ? - Hmmmm … how long has it been since I definitely gave up on the “Carbon alternative” (aka potentially toxic to shrimp glutaraldehyde), and is it actually not all that bad anyway? Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates have all been reading zero.
  • Hydra - they’re not supposed to be much risk to adult shrimp, but I still have a lot in my tank … death by a thousand stings perhaps?
  • Suffocation - although I have a lot of floaters I keep one section clear and blast it with the output from my filter to enhance gaseous exchange. No signs of gasping in the fish and some people keep cherry shrimp in zero tech tanks so this seems unlikely.
  • Stress by a combination of all the above? - possibly.

Worry, worry, worry … sigh. And I thought aquariums were supposed to be good for your mental health! Whoever conducted that study obviously didn’t have any overthinkers in their survey.

In better news, the “variety pack” of floaters is establishing itself :

IMG_8033.jpeg

The previously green red root floaters are actually turning red and as they grow they seem to get a bit better at floating on the surface rather than just below it. Some of the water sprite/indian fern has stopped melting long enough to stay afloat. The RRF turning red, along with some yellowing leaves, seem to confirm the low ammonia/nitrate readings, so I order up some TNC complete (dry salts don’t seem worth the headache at this stage with a smallish low tech tank).

In the meantime, my once red Rotala is beginning to suffer the same fate as others.

IMG_8024.jpeg

Leaves starting to grow larger and greener/paler. Not sure on remedy at the moment, but seeing as I am switching to TNC complete anyway, I will just see if that makes any difference. I am inclined towards the "if it don't work, replace it with something that does" school of planting rather than the "if it don't work, try and fix it" school.

Day 49

O frabjous day!

I finally figure out how to stop my iPhone’s annoying habit of switching lenses when I am trying to take pictures. It seems its automatic “macro” mode uses the wide lens and then digitally zooms in, making for a lousy noisy image. You can get around this by enabling “macro control” in the settings, and then clicking off the little flower icon that pops up when you try and use the x3 lens to photo something close up.

Finally I can get some half decent pictures, if only the bloody subjects would stay still for more than a second!

IMG_8046.jpeg

IMG_8047.jpeg

And while I am testing this out on that elusive shrimp …

IMG_8037.jpeg

Callooh! Callay!

Not so lonely after all. And a 50% chance of a breeding pair. Perhaps my tank is not quite as lethal as I thought.

Day 50 :

More shrimp drama

It’s been a week since I introduced them and I have never knowingly managed to successfully feed a shrimp. They seem to be happily harvesting biofilm, and are perhaps hoovering up bits of leftover fish food when I’m not looking, but sometimes when I see one parked on a leaf I forlornly sprinkle a few crumbs of the NTlabs “Shrimp Enhancer” I purchased with the shrimp and just watch it slowly sail past the shrimp completely ignored “well, that was an expensive way to feed some snails” I think.

Today I see one sat in the front of the tank and try again.

RESULT!

IMG_8050.jpeg

The shrimp picks up a crumb and sits there happily for a minute breaking tiny specks off it and jamming them into its mouth.

But it seems in my excited haste I was a bit clumsy with the flick of the shrimp food jar (usually I sprinkle into one hand first) and I have overfed, attracting the attention of the other inhabitants.

IMG_8052.jpeg

Soon the poor shrimp is hiding motionless under a leaf while the guppies indulge in a feeding frenzy all around it. “Great, no sooner have I established that there are actually two still alive than I kill one off with a heart attack” I think to myself.

But after the dust has cleared …

IMG_8063.jpeg

One, two, three little shrimpies sitting in a tank!

So, excluding the one that died in transit/acclimatisation, more than half of the shrimp have survived after all. There’s now a 75% chance of a breeding pair, and even if there isn’t, I won’t be so quite reluctant to add more in the future (probably a good idea anyway to widen the genetic pool a bit).

Last edited:
Day 51

Time for a water change. I am doing about 20-25% a week now, lower than many here go with, but it is reasonably dense planting with light fertilisation and a very low fish stocking. Because of my acidifying substrate and my high pH tap water, a big water change results in a big swing in parameters, and I am keen to avoid these (especially now I have shrimp). Also, I am constrained by the size of my watering can. So if this regime isn’t enough, I may go for twice weekly instead.

As I’ll be doing some pruning and replanting that bloody Helanthium, I scoop out a load of the floaters first, but I take this photo beforehand …

IMG_8072.jpeg

It’s not as obvious in the photo as it is in real life, but you can see that the red root floaters have only turned red along a central strip where they are closest to the light (the occasional outlier exceptions will be ones I moved while rescuing from drowning). So while nitrogen deficiency may play a role in them turning red, it seems high light does too (and quite likely, an interaction between the two).

I end up pruning a lot more than I intended, I think I just muddled up the cut stems I meant to replant with the cut stems I wanted to remove, and ended up chucking the lot of them.

IMG_8074.jpeg

Almost 100g of plant mass (albeit, “wet weight”) removed in addition to the planters I have begun regularly thinning, I wonder to myself what percentage of that weight comes directly from fish waste (I have only just switched to a fertiliser with Nitrogen).

Forgot to take a “before” photo, but here’s the after...

IMG_8077.jpeg

Much like many a trip to an overenthusiastic barber I find myself thinking “oh well, it’ll grow back” afterwards.

But maybe the thinness has its virtues. I can’t be sure whether its due to them having gained in confidence in their new home after a week, or because I have denuded their habitat, but now when I look at the tank I nearly always spot a shrimp straight away, and can usually spot a second or third with a little red shrimp hunting.

And what’s that …

IMG_8093.jpeg

FOUR LITTLE SHRIMPIES! That’s the first time I’ve seen four at the same time since the day I introduced them, I wonder if the fifth is still kicking around somewhere. Almost a 90% chance of a breeding pair now (though I doubt many offspring would get past the guppies and the hydra), and the confidence that I can buy some more if I feel the urge, without worrying they’ll meet some mysterious doom.

What a relief!

Had a similar experience with my shrimp this week! Unfortunately I did lose two (very obviously, they died right out in the open) but was very happy to see the other 4 all at the same time after the best part of a week! They are very hard to spot.

Had a similar experience with my shrimp this week! Unfortunately I did lose two (very obviously, they died right out in the open) but was very happy to see the other 4 all at the same time after the best part of a week! They are very hard to spot.

Sorry to hear you lost a couple, I think these shrimp have caused me more anxiety in the past week than the fish, plants and rest of the tank have in a couple of months!

Finally beginning to relax and enjoy them now. Love watching them up close with a magnifying glass. Love the way they magically teleport a couple of inches every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear you lost a couple, I think these shrimp have caused me more anxiety in the past week than the fish, plants and rest of the tank have in a couple of months!

Finally beginning to relax and enjoy them now. Love watching them up close with a magnifying glass. Love the way they magically teleport a couple of inches every now and then.

Thanks, it has shaken me a bit - I didn't join this hobby to kill the creatures in my care. Magnifying glass is a great shout. My partner and I are wondering how they move so fast - we think it must be a flick of the tail?!

What a delightful journal! How is the tank doing these day?

Thanks. It’s doing well to OK. Survived a three week holiday, haven’t (yet) added to the livestock for various reason, one fish I endlessly worry about developing dropsy, but I think it’s just a touch overweight and its tail is too heavy! Just need to find some time to update the journal … need a day off work basically

What an excellent read! Loving hearing about the daily ups and downs, complete with Jabberwocky references. The tank has come a long way- well done!

Back