• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Activated carbon.......to do or not to do?

I personally don't use it. If it came in with the filter then yes but after its effectiveness is gone I just leave it out. Some people will use it after medication of the tank to remove any medicines remaining.

Personal opinion, the higher tech you run, the more organic turn over going on, the more you need to keep up with things. Main answer is larger, more frequent water changes, which I agree with entirely, but personally, given that the organic load building is the quoted reason in that situation I can see why people use both it and purigen.

So my answer is, I use it in my high tech tanks, but not in my low tech. I've also used it if the tannin levels from the wood get out of hand.

From looking at your aquarium photos in flickr, I think it is not necessary to put any carbon. Activated carbon is only for absorbing toxic, chemicals and tannin from driftwood... etc. If everything in your aquarium is healthy, then not to use activated carbon or bamboo carbon.

The plant leaves became yellow because I forgot to take activated carbon out of the aquarium when I went travel aboard in only 3 weeks!

Back