• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Actual flow oase 350

Qwedfg

I was wondering if anyone had tested the actual flow of an oase 350? It is listed at 1100 lph but I’m assuming that’s a zero head?

Eheim 2217 have a listed flow of 1000 lph but from some tests people ran on them they put out about 600 lph in a real world situation. Anyone have similar information on oase?

I think generally speaking manufacturers figures on filter output are somewhat optimistic and usually are calculated at zero head and without media. So in reality are around half of that stated. I doubt very much Oase are the exception. However, for what it's worth the commonly quoted 10x/hr turnover for a high-energy planted tank was originally calculated to take this in to consideration.

I think generally speaking manufacturers figures on filter output are somewhat optimistic and usually are calculated at zero head and without media. So in reality are around half of that stated. I doubt very much Oase are the exception. However, for what it's worth the commonly quoted 10x/hr turnover for a high-energy planted tank was originally calculated to take this in to consideration.

Thank you.

The reason I ask is because I see a lot of people with an oase 350 on their 60p and I have a 2217 and it just seems like a lot of flow for fish. Was trying to gauge how similar the flow was for these filters.

Last edited:
I’ve got a 350 on a 60L Nano and it’s not exactly blowing the fish around. I’ve been procrastinating about getting a tank about double the size and would probably get a 600 head to fit my 350 as I wouldn’t need the extra trays.
I have also been contemplating getting a 2217 in case the Biomaster starts leaking. Not much to go wrong with the Eheims but they can be quite noisy and my Biomaster is pretty quiet.

As a point of interest I have a 2215 on a 37L Nano and that does seem to turn over the water very quickly with a freshly cleaned sponge on the intake pipe.

Also depends on the fish and the scape. Whether there are built in refuges allowing fish to escape the current, for example. Or whether it's a fast flowing stream biotope etc.
However, for most scapes there really is no need to go OTT and over specify the filter for the sake of turn over, flow or filtration. The latter especially in a planted tank.

There are limits. If it's too much you risk fish and plant health. Generally speaking it's perhaps best to stick to the x10 rule, but it's just a guideline. Less is often fine. I've had successful low energy tanks with less than half that and high-energy with similarly low turn over.

Back