• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60-P Alpha one

Rob Wilkinson

Hi All, this is my first attempt at a planted aquarium/Aquascape.

It's a basic layout, the emphasis for me is on experimenting with equipment and growing plants rather than creating a work of art.

Any advice/criticism/comments are welcome and greatly appreciated!

Tank: ADA 60-P 60x36x30
Filtration & Heater: Oase Filtosmart 100 Thermo
Light: AquerienEco 1500 lumens 8000K, currently 6 hours a day
CO2: 1bps
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
Hardscape: Dragonstone
Ferts:
- Easycarbo 1ml daily
- TNC Complete 5ml weekly
WC:
- Weekly 50%

Plants
Background:

- Hygrophila guanensis
- Alternanthera cardinalis Variegata

Midground:
- Crypt Wendtii (brown)
- Lilaeopsis novea-zelandia
- Hydrocotyle verticillata

Foreground:
- Micranthemum monte carlo

Last edited:
Day 14

I've filled out some gaps at the back with some more Hygrophila guanensis. I also added some Hygrophila siamensis which I was hoping would add a new shade of colour but it looks pretty similar to the rest.

I pulled up one of the red plants to relocate and it had laid down some strong root growth - hopefully a good sign!

20171229_180437.jpg

Tomorrow I'll have glass inlet/outlet pipes to play around with. If anyone has any ideas on location let me know!

Last edited:
I think that's an excellent idea to start with (and it looks like you're doing a fine job!). I see that you have some species of plants in there that might not take off so well without CO2 (they won't die, but they won't flourish either - looking at that hydrocotyl sp. as I've never gotten it to flourish in a non-CO2 environment haha)... but who knows, everyone has a different experience. My only suggestion at this point is for you to seriously consider using pressurized CO2, it's worth it if you're planning to be serious about planted tanks. Save up longer if you have to and buy it once, right!

looking at that hydrocotyl sp. as I've never gotten it to flourish in a non-CO2 environment

Thanks for the comments! Completely agree, it was mislabelled as something else so a bit of a surprise when I looked it up!

Last edited:
CO2 is now in... it was a tight fit, I had to put the regulator at an angle.

20180118_210642.jpg

20180120_184535.jpg

Thinking of changing up the background planting for something with a smaller leaf size, maybe rotala and ludwigia - please post suggestions!

Last edited:
New background plants have been in for approx 2 weeks.

Ludwigia mini super red has done really well and had a first trim.
Rotala Rotundifolia and Rotala Macrandra (both bought in vitro) are growing well, but very green!

20180203_174536.jpg

Back