• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60-P planted tank 'Prairie' (month 5)

ADA 60-P planted tank

Easy carbo has an algaecide ingredient, which is why it's useful in addition to CO2 injection. It's a short term fix but sometimes useful.

Agree on aquarium plant food - that's where I get mine and it's a LOT cheaper and actually simple once you get the hang of it. sure someone here would do the calculations for the mix for you, if that makes things easier.

CRS are hugely ammonia sensitive so worth waiting a while. Maybe start with some standard cherries which are less inbred and so more tolerant.

I'm no scientist but people on here say test kits (unless laboratory grade) are actually so inaccurate as to be useless. There are various threads on this. You can get a tapwater report from your suppliers website, but your water will vary a lot week by week. It doesn't matter that much unless you're doing discuss or something very sensitive.

One thing you haven't mentioned is dechlorinator (prime is the cheapest) if you're using tap water. Goes in with every water change. And some people swear by Purigen in the filter to polish the water so it's crystal clear, seeing as you've got an opti white tank. I use it but can't say it's made a huge difference.

Running plant less won't do any harm certainly. Will help the soil leach some ammonia too, and you'll get a lot of dust from the Amazonia so worth doing a few water changes too. A bit of bubble wrap if y have any left from your deliveries makes a good buffer for putting water in to the tank.

With CO2, I'd run the tank without fish and excessively high levels of CO2 (yellow drop checker) for a while to get a sense of what plants need. Then cut it back when you've got good growth, then add fish. I'm trying this on my smaller tank.

In general, would read as many of ceg's posts on this forum as possible before you get going! Hope it goes better than my first tank... Good luck!

Re: ADA 60-P planted tank

Got a nice early deliver from TGM this morning. Cube Garden 60-P, frosted backing and tank matting. Also Amazonia, both normal and powder, along with some additives.

6899238924_c53276b890.jpg

Another box appeared from Aqua Essentials, with some tools and de-chlorinator.

Then a third box turned up with my dragonstone. All in all a good day.

I spent some time washing the stone and sorting it into sizes. Biggest piece is about 25cm tall. The smallest is about 2cm (I got a good couple of handfuls of the small bits to transition to the congo sand)

6899239144_e2be98dff5.jpg

All in all a good day. Just waiting for my inline heater, a few bits of glassware (lily pipes have already taken over two weeks to arrive!) and CO2 system. I'm not going to buy any plants til I have everything.

This evening I'll be trying out a few layouts with the stone. I'll try to take a few photos and get some feedback from you guys.

I realise that so far this thread has been more of a shopping list with a touch of DIY but from now on it should hopefully be a little more interesting.

RR

I got it from andys aquatics. Nice looking stone but needed a lot of cleaning.
I've done a few layouts dry but undecided as of yet. I've been a bit sidetracked by decorating the bathroom though.
Hoping to get it all up and running tomorrow.

I'll get some pictures up soon.

Thanks. I decided to go for the frame and board, just for peace of mind.

Had some fun yesterday, trying some layouts and eventually decided on one I like. Here's a little rough follow along:

Please excuse the faults with the video.

I've also planted a load load of glosso. I didn't take any photos yet but I'll get one tomorrow. What a task. Took long enough just separating the plants and spraying them to keep them moist. Spent a good afternoon with the tweezers getting them in situ. What a job!

My CO2 system is coming on Tuesday, so that will be added then and I'm still reading up on EI but for now I'll stick with Green Brighty Stage 1, til I'm happy I understand things properly.

Next up is some Pogostomen helferi for around the rocks and something taller for the fairground. I'm thinking of pennywort, as I like the canopy effect you can get with them.

Only downside was a slight problem with the filter. I noticed the water level in the tank was dropping slowly. I think it was caused by air in the filter from the easy lock tap thingy on the XP2. I pulled it all apart, cleared up and it's been fine since.

RR

Quick question. I have a fair bit of substrate floating around on tiny bubbles. Will this settle or do I need to do something?
I'm also wondering how to either direct the flow from my filter better, or how to reduce it, as it seems very strong and the glosso is being pulled up in places.

Any advice is welcome!

Cheers

pariahrob said:
Quick question. I have a fair bit of substrate floating around on tiny bubbles. Will this settle or do I need to do something?

Net them out. I always spend some time taking the surface scum off with a plastic container or something similar.

Here's a quick look at at some nice glassware. A bubble counter/diffuser and a J shaped connector, both from tanks cape.co.uk and both look to be very well made.

6915210752_fe74131c7b.jpg

Here's a section of my scape with the gloss after two days. Still worried that the flow might be too strong as another couple of plant lets were in the filter intake this morning.

Or have I planted them in too small? The guy in the shop recommended doing it like this and then trimming down after a week or so but on the TGM site it says to plant in eighth of a plant bundles.

What do you think?

CO2 arrives tomorrow as well, which I'm hoping will help speed up the settling in process. My lily pipes should be here soon too, which will mean the tank will look nicer but also will be the gear I'll be using long term, so hoping I can get the flow how it should be.

6915245522_7b49c146d6.jpg

Aha, thanks. I'll have a good trimming session this evening then and see if that helps. I'll be getting the rest of my plants over the next few days too. I wonder if denser planting will help diffuse the flow a bit.

I shoot my photos on a DSLR and they are over 5k wide, so I tend to reduce them down to 1280 wide (I work with a lot of video and its become habit for online).

If I shoot any I am particularly happy with I'll be sure to keep a hi-res version to post as well.

Cheers

Woke up this morning to find that the flow from my filter has shifted the amazonia somewhat and created some ridges. This led to some gloss being set free. SOme is melting too but funnily the gloss doing best seams to be the most sheltered from the light.

I'm going to do a water change in a minute and see if I can find a way of diffusing the flow near the bottom of the tank to reduce this problem. I also had my bright step 1 arrive today, so will start daily dosing. I stupidly ordered two in a fit of over-enthusiastic spending so PM me if you want one and I'll sell the spare on at a discount.

In other news the CO2 still hasn't arrived, so fingers crossed for a delivery tomorrow (as well as my lily pipes).

I post more pictures when this gets sorted a bit and the scape settles.

CO2 is here and installed. I managed to break my lovely glass diffuser though. Clumsily pushing the suction cup on and snapped the neck. I'll order a new one but for now it has the nasty black plastic one on.

I also added another large piece of dragon rock and removed the congo sand. It just wasn't doing it for me.

I'll let it clear up and then grab some pictures.

New diffuser ordered. Plastic one in place for now:

6927624832_0ce5878f68.jpg

The largest rock on the left is the addition. I removed most of the congo sand and am going for more of a complete carpet. The remaining congo I'll remove as I plant that area. The drop checker is showing solid blue as I just refilled. It was a good green though, so happy with that.

6927624550_c9c8fd3ae8_z.jpg

I'm currently adding 1bpm starting as I leave for work (until I get a solenoid) which varies between 2 and 3 hours before the lights come on late morning. My lights are hanging 16" above the water for now. I'm adding the recommended dose of ADA Green Brighty step 1 for now and will follow the course until I get my head round the whole EI thing.

I'm off to the lfs in a minute to pick up some plants. Delivery is due about now, so hoping for some good picks.

Fingers crossed!

Popped over to my LFS and picked up a small selection of plants.

First up was some Eleocharis Parvula to help frame the dragonstone at the rear. I'm not a fan of hair grass reaching the surface but I think it does help the red of my stone pop a bit, so will just trim regularly.

6927985170_8ff68db883_z.jpg

Then I got something which I cannot remember the name of, except it has 'crown' in the name. It looks a bit like pygmy chain sword with slightly broader leaves. If you can identify please let me know what it's called. I kew I should have written it down.

7074066037_363d7e943d_z.jpg

Even though it is still quite sparse it's great to see some green in the tank. I'm off to collect my pogo tomorrow and investigate some other carpeting plants.

Or should I persevere with the glosso? I might hack it back a little in the hope that my new CO2 system will perk it up.

Re: ADA 60-P planted tank (week 1 photos)

The glosso will be quite a good indicator of whether you've got your CO2 right (as would a pot of HC). I had mine too low for about a year! Would really advise cranking CO2 up to near lethal levels and then bringing it down if needed - is working great in my little tank at the moment. But then I have gassed my fish twice in the past... :woot:

Back