• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60F iwagumi

Well just done full tank clean and filter clean grass seems to doing ok think I am going to buy some shrimp tomorro from pets at home, do they sell amano shrimp ? Once in I will get the drop checker lime green and how much water should I change and how often ? Currently doing 50% every other day but what would u recommend once shrimp in ?

Thanks dean and should I stop doing flourish but carry on dosing ei

Thanks

well just added 4 amano shrimp will upload pics tomorrow, still algae in the tank have raised lights very slightly again, should I add fish food in or will they just eat the algae ?
also how often would you recommend water changes

Thanks Dean

dont feed at all deano and try and add another 6 or more when you can, the bigger the amano army the quicker the battle. (1 per 5ltrs is the recommended amount with new tanks)
Id also continue to do as frequent a water change as you can tolerate as long as there is algae, shrimp wont care one bit as long as the water matches.

Thanks for that mate I will continue to do water changes every other day but not as much water an will have to watch don't suck shrimp up, will do full tank clean weekly including filter etc, and will get more shrimp on weekend will they just survive off the algae ?

Thanks dean

strange thing tried checking on shrimp and cannot find any and only a small tank checked the top of filter and none there but nano lilly pipes are small anyway u think they could have jumped out of the water as only few mm from the top ? also I only lifted lid off my thermo and checked the media I never checked any baskets etc

could they be under rock as seen around that area 1-2 days ago but then I could only see 1 but none at all today keep checking but nothing
Thanks dean

only had since Sunday they were there and swimming happy and then yesterday could only find one and today seen none o_O

Dean

Yikes. Someone more knowledgeable than me will pipe in I'm sure and help.

On a side note, this was one of the first journals I read on ukaps and partly inspired me to start researching the hobby more. Its been great to see all the ups and downs for someone new. And all the great discussion about your aquascape. Keep it coming. I've read this journal twice already and will again I'm sure when I get my own setup. Cheers.

Mark

thanks mark I am a total newb aswel still learning and trying to get it started and keep motivated but set backs like this set u back but will keep pushing on

good luck and thanks for kind words ;)

anyone have any idea were shrimp might be lol ?

Found 2 of them at the other side of kitchen so pretty sure all jumped out within a day what can I do about this ? Don't want a lid as like the open top look , can I purchase fish or snails instead to eat algae but liked the shrimp

Thanks dean

like the amano shrimp but I like water close to the top but don't want jummpers, what do you think of the tanks with glass lids ?

any other way of stopping it

Thanks dean

come to think of I cannot have glass lid as my lilly pipes etc and too expensive not to use and don't want to leave 2cm as tank only 18 then by the time use up 3-4 for substrate I simple don't have the room maybe 1cm or so and co2 is fine drop checker was dark green as actually had it too low, you think maybe some fish first and what fish would you recommend from p&h ?

thanks dean

what fish would you recommend for my small aquarium ? or should I drop water level and get some more shrimp ? wanted a small shoal of small fish maybe rasboras

what do you recommend
Thanks dean

Here's a (fairly) simple solution, have a perspex lid made to measure. It's very cheap, my simple version that fits on the braces of my aquarium was £8. Obviously it will cost more to have cutouts for pipework but not too much I'd have thought.

I used The Plastic People, who were quick and excellent quality.

Their clear as glass acrylic works out at £13 for a 4mm or £17 for a 6mm thick lid for your size tank with a couple of holes drilled. You can provide a design for them to work to. Clear Cut To Size

thanks wally never thought of that but hopefully dropping water 1-2 cm will do the job but wont be getting this week as on backs and don't have time so hopefully weekend ;)
anyway here are some update pics
dscn0787d.jpg

dscn0785m.jpg

first planted with the tropica
dscn0778h.jpg

and now
dscn0785m.jpg

surprised actually I thought was thinning as millions on little pieces to surface from cutting with scissors when I added shrimp but now its stopped as no shrimp :( but actually looks thicker and denser what you guys think? (will get some closer pics tomorrow) also need more mini to put around the back of tank just making sure this grew in ok.

also what recommendations for fish you have I want shoal of very small fish like rasboras

Thanks dean

Sorry to hear about the shrimp :( plants defiantly look like they are thicker to me though its starting to grow in nicely. on a side note does it not drive you mad that the tank is not centered on that stand that would drive me mad.

Back