• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Light screen

Want some?

• Not a chance

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Want!

Votes: 18 50.0%

• Total voters
@zozo the sheets come precut so if you place an order on the website you can do so with the exact measurements. And the u channel those acrylic sheets go inside that channel. So for example 12mm pvc u channel is for bonding both acrylics. Both are 3mm= 6mm remember you have 10mm space because the sides of thr u channel is 1mm. And after glueing those two sheets on the side of the u channel you will have space in the middle for led strip. The ones i put up on the link are narrow ones which are 4mm. Which is the space left. And good idea on the hanging idea.

@zozo the sheets come precut so if you place an order on the website you can do so with the exact measurements. And the u channel those acrylic sheets go inside that channel. So for example 12mm pvc u channel is for bonding both acrylics. Both are 3mm= 6mm remember you have 10mm space because the sides of thr u channel is 1mm. And after glueing those two sheets on the side of the u channel you will have space in the middle for led strip. The ones i put up on the link are narrow ones which are 4mm. Which is the space left. And good idea on the hanging idea.

I got that constructional part of making a flat box from acrylic with the U channels.. The site you linked to also has edging trim in case the tank is 4mm glass this can be used,
https://hardware-warehouse.co.uk/profiles-and-trims/edging-trim/pvc-plastic-edging-trim-black-3mm-1m
Drill 3mm holes all the way through, to fit in a M3 counter sunk screw. Than this screw has a maybe 6mm head, than drill at 1 side to 6 mm and counter sink the 3 mm hole at the edging trim inside. So the screw and the screwdriver fits in.. Than screw this trim to the box.

If the glass thiknes is 6, 8 or 10mm you can also use a U channel for it with an inside width same as the glass thickness. :)
Naamloos.jpg

It is very easy to tape M3 thread into acryliic, no need for nuts. :)

Last edited:
Good idea @zozo but for people like me that want that aesthetic look i think its best to just use the clear pvc to create that ada look. And then use something like this.
Aquarium-stainless-steel-tank-hook-many-size.jpg_350x350.jpg

Laser cut square holes on each sides of the acrylic then place these inside with a neodymium magnet on the ends to hold it in place. Or even what @Edvet said about using magnents.

What you’re going to get though is a bright light on the bottom and a bright light at the top. The LED light sheet I’m looking at are built the same way, but the acrylic is etched using 3D cutting technology. This engraving technique ensures light is evenly distributed across the surface of the acrylic to deliver a flat illuminated panel when you put the diffuser on top.

83AB8244-60FC-461A-9277-6E27D2CB0DBB.jpeg

Would the strip lights only be on the egdes ponting inwards on tge acrylic or would you line the whole panel with LED to make a full backlight?

Would the strip lights only be on the egdes ponting inwards on tge acrylic or would you line the whole panel with LED to make a full backlight?
Look properly on this pic basicly the whole edges of the panel has a strip all four corners.
o1706096014095355059.jpg

This is a tricky commercial design.. :) Don't fall for it.. No need for cnc laser cutting a square hole into the acrylic to replicate it..
o0640048014108604613-jpg.jpg

The square shaft in front of the thread has no function.. A simple screw in the same lenght does the same thing,, Once it hangs it hangs than it can not go anywhere esle than the way it hangs.. The large sqaure nut, is also designed out of proportion.. A simpel teflon washer and a nut does the same.. It also doesn't add to aesthetical value, because that nut is at the back side you will not see it..

A perfect example of overcomplicating a design to look special but it isn't..

A simpel piece of Aluminium U profile, a screw and a washer and a nut is absolutely equaly effective and once installed it looks the same too..

Last edited:
Some acrylic you could use although you may need to install throughout the back like a TV backlight.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/263852975089

I would never use that lol. As i said when i make this in the future i will make sure its no more than 12mm . Sleek design just like the ada. If i had time i would make this and would take me couple of hours to do so. Its probably gonna have to be next year but will post for sure when i do.

If i had time i would make this and would take me couple of hours to do so. Its probably gonna have to be next year but will post for sure when i do.

It’d be good to see what you do, with costings for time and materials for comparison to the ADA product.

I would never use that lol. As i said when i make this in the future i will make sure its no more than 12mm . Sleek design just like the ada. If i had time i would make this and would take me couple of hours to do so. Its probably gonna have to be next year but will post for sure when i do.
Any specific reason for avoiding it? It looks to be a useful one if you want a wall of LED backlighting. I agree it's not a replica of the ADA design.

Any specific reason for avoiding it? It looks to be a useful one if you want a wall of LED backlighting. I agree it's not a replica of the ADA design.
Reason is that its a A4 size which is small. Other companies offer specific size you want.

Reason is that its a A4 size which is small. Other companies offer specific size you want.
Oh yes, I wasn't meaning that size. I would only use a single piece for the tank depending on size.

The acrylic itself is semi-transluscent which might give off a better effect. Although this design might need LEDs much like a back light of a TV rather than only on the edges.

Hmm now that I look at it.... the ADA one is also semi-transluscent. I was imagining it to be fully transparent all this time!!! :oldman:

Back