• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Mini M (Inspiration from Japan, Rocks from Hong Kong)

Steven Chong

About 2-3 years ago, some relatives of mine in Chiba Prefecture (Japan) took me to a place called ???? (You-Rou-Kei-Koku). While Chiba isn't a prefecture known for sight seeing nor scenery, I definitely enjoyed myself, and was impressed.

youroukeikoku1net.jpg

youroukeikoku2net.jpg

What impressed me in particular were the shape and character of the rocks, their white color, and the contrast with the surrounding foliage. however, at the time, I didn't think much of replicating this look in the aquarium because I didn't know of any rocks with the white color and shape, not to mention the fine details that would translate down to the small size of the aquarium.

Fast forward to this last winter, I took a trip down to Hong Kong-- mostly because I wanted to visit the notorious ??? (Goldfish Street), which btw, was absolutely insane... I think I visited like 50 or so aquarium stores in 2 days... I couldn't believe the breadth and variety (and often, the prices) of... stuff... In terms of the aquarium trade, Hong Kong is definitely a step above Tokyo...

For me the most memorable shop was David Chow's store-- I actually ran into David myself~!-- but forgot to take a picture with him. -_- Well, not like I haven't met him a bunch of times at IAPLC events already but... I'm dumb for not taking a picture. :( David had gotten way, way skinnier though-- almost to the point where I didn't recognize him! He said he'd been having some trials with his health that I hope he has overcome-- he's always been a friendly and modest man despite his achievements.

In any case, one item that peaked my interest at his shop (which I had to get) was a type of white rock... that perfectly fit the bill for my "Japanese Forest" idea! I was pretty excited (though finding this rock in China and not in Japan was an interesting turn of events~). Apparently, the rock in question is from China. David didn't give me a name for it so... no idea what type of rock it is. Oh well.

A few days ago, I decided to stop being lazy and bust out the collection of rocks I had bought from Chow's store.

The tank is a Mini M from ADA. I used some moss rocks from my previous layout, but the rotalas I thought I had packed well were completely melted... I did however, find some wild eleocharis growing in a nearby stream (I didn't want to take hair grass from my main tank since I don't have enough there...)! I'll have to get some stem plants for the tank tomorrow, but I thought I'd show my progress:

youroukeikokuscape1.jpg

youroukeikokuscape2.jpg

The result even impressed me, and turned out better than my expectations-- what do you guys think? Is there a resemblance between inspiration and the hardscape?

Re: ADA Mini M (Inspiration from Japan, Rocks from Hong Kong

Excellent transference of your initial inspiration into this aquascape! The hardscape and planting look great and refreshingly different. Superb execution.

Thanks for sharing! :)

You've certainly captured the feel and I like your layout a lot. The open space in the middle adds a lot of depth and really makes it look like it opens out into something. Leads the eye well, with a lot of little details I like.

I like the background behind the tank too. I enjoy reading about how people come up with their ideas.

Thanks

Beautiful. Something very unusual and yet natural about this. It's certainly not your typical nano hardscape and it really pays homage to its inspiration. Just out of curiosity, how many attempts did it take you reach that layout?

Hmm... Well, I kind of had an idea for what kind of layouts were possible when I played with the rocks in the store before buying them...

Rather than "try lots of different combinations," it was more like a "slowly look at it again and again, adding and adjusting."

So really, I got to this layout in "one attempt," but it took me about an hour of slowly adding and adjusting rocks/substrate/moss rocks. The moss rocks are actually holding the substrate in place, so there was no "hardscape only" composition.

edit: also-- thanks for all the positive feedback~ :)

I couldn't get the stems to grow as I wanted, but I'm not going to be able to improve on this before I move back to hawaii, so here it is:

littleaquariamsummer201.png

Back