• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Mini M (Low Tech) Betta luck this time...

Rob P

Yikes! :eek: A journal on UKAPS... !!

Well, I'll need the help more than anything, so here we are :) (*please note any photos will be crap*)

Tank: ADA Mini M 36x22x26cm
Filter: Eden 501 Mini External
Lights: Boyu 3 x 8W T5 (to be run with 1 x 8W 6500k)
Substrate: Columbo Florabase (black)
Decor: Redmoor/mini landscape rock

Flora updated:

Bolbitis heudelotii
Juncus repens
Microsorum mini
C. nevillii
Weeping moss
Echinodorus tennellus
Ludwigia repens
Didiplis diandra
Ammania sp bonsai
Ludwigia sp Atlantis

Fauna:
RCS
1x Zebra nerite
1 x ramshorn (uninvited, but a pretty little fellow so can stay :))

Inspired by a lot of you with the rock/stone layouts, and Pedro for the red background :D

Stand/tank/wood shortly before going upstairs into the missus's office:

ADAMiniM_zps74270d44.jpg

Hardscape in:

MiniM1_zpsb9824a22.jpg

I understand there are probably aquascaping rule 'fuax pas' present, but i'm working with what I had kicking around and really not that fussed! Plus I like it :)

Currently trying to compile a list of easy to easy'ish plants that will survive/thrive in Yorkshire medium hard tapwater, no CO2 addition and occasional ferts plus lighting around 0.4w/litre. Some ideas I have are:

Background - Bolbitis, Juncus repens
Wood/around the wood - Microsorum mini, C. nevillii, C. moehlmannii, Weeping moss
Foreground - Lobelia cardinalis dwarf, maybe Sag subulata or Echi tennellus.

I'd also like a small compact stem in there, tempted to try Ammania sp. bonsai as I've read it can grow low tech and slow bothers me not, although I see a lot also fail with this even in high energy.

Any glaring cock ups in the making i'd love to know! :) (i'm pretty new to all this!)

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: tim
Too much light. Way too much.

How many times do we have to say that w/liter is a totally useless calculation?

Cheers,

That adds up to 4 bulbs.

Ah sorry Clive, major misunderstanding going on here LOL. The Boyu unit comes with 3 x 8W T5's (two white, one blue). I'll be running it with just one tube on the other two off, PROMISE!! (been there/done that, seriously regretted it!! :facepalm: )

On a seperate note Clive, since you're here, does my plant list look ok :)

Juncus repens is a lovely plant and will grow anywhere. This has been in the garden for a year now, bone dry, frozen solid the lot.
mavy2e2y.jpg

It's also quite pretty :)

Anubias would also be nice around the place...

I like it and there are no rules. Do what you want, it's your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, OK.....never mind then. Makes sense after I reread it.:rolleyes:

Still, it's always a good idea to refer to the chart shown on the thread Dymax Tropical 36 watt | Page 4 | UK Aquatic Plant Society
The presentation of the data effectively normalizes the wattage so you just have to look at the vertical distance and where it intersects your bulb type. Even with a single bulb, at a distance of 11 inches(?) you will still be marginally high light for a non-CO2, at least at the start of the setup. I'd still use lots of floating plants to obscure the surface for the first few weeks. WPG/WPL are still meaningless....

Plant list looks fine to me. Nothing outrageous there...

Cheers,

Sweet! Thanks mate. I'm looking forward to having some floating plants in there. Every time I put them in my bigger tank with massive flow they just fall to bits :dead:

ps - i was looking for that chart earlier as well!! :)

Like the hard scape Rob am like the mini m tank, love nano tanks lol think I will do a low tech in the 60f after get hi tech sorted lol keep the updates coming mate

Thanks Dean

Will do mate, heart beats still slowing after Clive's first reply... :D lol

Haha yeah he was a bit blunt with you but that's Clive :D the hard scape looks fantastic to me mate. I'm waiting on my do aqua mini m at the mo to replace my dennerle as I don't like the shape :(

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Looking good Rob, I was beginning to think you were some sort of weirdo who didn't actually have a tank. :p

Don't worry Ali, i'm thick skinned and know he's a good guy :) Blunt is good most of the time!! lol

Problem is I like the scape to the point where I think it would make a good hi tech layout, but i've kind of promised the OH it will be low maintenance/hassle free lol. It is going in her office for possibly a betta. Maybe next time round i'll supercharge it ;) Be interesting for me none the less.

the hard scape looks fantastic to me mate

Thanks mate :)

Looking good Rob, I was beginning to think you were some sort of weirdo who didn't actually have a tank. :p

LOL James, I practically blogged my other tank in one post a week or two back!! Bout half way down the page...

Still getting brown leaves, i think... | Page 2 | UK Aquatic Plant Society

It's going well that one now, no algae that I can see (Sssssh) and all growing well, only thing is I think I need to clean the inline co2 diffuser as the bubbles seem bigger and that invloves bleach, and last time I used bleach for aquarium purposes (recharging purigen) it wiped out all my stems!! :eek: So it makes me anxious lol :nailbiting: it will never be a scaped tank though, practice for my 80x40x40 ;)

Back