• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice needed for largish tank (350 litres)

Paul Butler

Seedling
I'm in the process of setting up a moderately large tank. I want to use pressurised CO2 and will be using a fire extinguisher as the source which I already have (though it may need a refill). I have an oldish regulator and solenoid which I no longer trust simply because the haven't been used in many years. The needles don't move on the dials so I want to replace these. I'll also be buying a new drop checker as I can't find my old one...

The tank is around 350litres total volume, I'll be using Tropica base with pool filter sand on top and already have this as well as lights. I have an external cannister filter (eheim classic 2217) which I'll be using.

I have a few areas that I need advice and recommendations on regarding the CO2. What would be a suitable regulator to get - preferably with a solenoid so I can use it on a timer? I'll also be looking at getting a new check valve too.

I've looked at a lot of diffusers but most seem to be made for smaller tanks, would it be practical to use two diffusers or are there better ways now to get CO2 into the tank? If using two diffusers is there a way to split the supply from one supply or do you need two of everything?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm very much out of touch these days so appreciate any and all advice.

I would think you would need two of the 2117 filters for a tank that size. I have 1200lph filter to go in a 200l tank and worried its not enough but will be low tech. For high tech I think you will want to be a bit closer the 10x rule. If you don't have good flow your CO2 won't reach all of the plants.

I would think you would need two of the 2117 filters for a tank that size. I have 1200lph filter to go in a 200l tank and worried its not enough but will be low tech. For high tech I think you will want to be a bit closer the 10x rule. If you don't have good flow your CO2 won't reach all of the plants.
Thanks for your response.

I'm less concerned about the filters tbh and only mentioned it so people knew what pipe size as I've seen some inline diffusers but know little about them. I understand about the CO2 & fert distribution but none of that is where I need help sadly ... it is simply the questions regarding regulators, and diffusers I need help with.

2217 is rated at 1000l/h so 3 or 4 will get you closer to the 10x rule
The co2 can be split but you need a needle and check valve on every line.
The sponsors Co2art sell manifolds.
Excellent news re the manifold, many thanks for that.
12/16 outflow pipe and 16/22 inflow pipe on my 2217. It depends if your using an inline and which side of the filter you want to use it on.
You could use a reactor like foxfish's diy reactor but it might take some trail and error to get it right
Thanks for the tip off, that will prove useful I think, I have it book marked :)
Largish tanks can eat a lot of CO2 at high light levels, so be warned;)
I can't advise on the regulator, but i do advise a DIY diffusor fot that size.
Yep I know! :D I did have a 300 litre tank a number of years ago running CO2 but want to avoid the gubbings I had in the tank at that time :) I always had a full CO2 FE on stand by and will do so again.

I like the idea of using a reactor like foxfish's - rummaging around I've found my old aqua medic reactor but I doubt it will be man enough for the tank.

Back