• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice needed

Konsa

Hi all
Thinking about rescape again on my little 22l shrimp tank with sump in back .
Thinking about full overhaul.New substrate and all.
This time willing to go for proper substrate and the choice is Tropica aqua soil.
My question is if I rescape and preserve the very mature filter (3+ years) with loads of Siporax(1+ liters) and trow a bag of Purigen in ,will I be able to stock right away.My other tanks are too predatory to house Red cherries in them.Will reuse floating and other plants too
All thoughts welcome.
Regards Konsa

Hi
The tank has only Californian Black worms ,about 20 red cherries and a single adult Red Ramshorn snail that is been there on his own since birth so no babie snails.The bioload is negligible for the filtration of the tank.
I will preserve all filter medium no problem done it before many times.
What Iam thinking is the new Tropica aqua soil has initial buffering capacity and while not as loaded as the ADA stuff will probably alter water chemistry significantly in that size tank while it settle in and the shrimps are not big fans of fluctuations.
Tbh I am trying to get a green light from someone that's done it successfully.
If not will have to pull one 36l tank out of storage.Put the sand from this tank in as substrate plus half the Siporax in filter to go with it and wait 5-6 weeks till new scape settles in before moving shrimps in there.I have no problem doing this but the girlfriend might give me the look for it as I run 3 tanks already.
On the plus side I might be able to keep the temporary tank as a new betta scape in the long run,she likes bettas always eyeballing them in LFS and sulks a bit when I keep explaining that my current tanks are not suitable for one for one reason or another.
Regards Konsa

I did something like this on my current AS600. It was a new tank, using Tropica soil. I seeded the new filter with material from my old filter, even reused a bit of water, along with hardscape and plants. One of my cherries snuck in with some plants as I was planting, and didn't seem bothered, and a fish did something similar, so everyone got moved fairly quick. So in my case it worked fine; I did however treat it a lot like a new tank, so waterchanges every other day for the first few weeks, because of the soil. It is a 100 l tank however.
On the other hand, who couldn't use an extra betta tank :D

I've just rescaped and kept my seeded filter going (bucket) and have used some Amazonia capped with sand in the new setup, the seeded filter is dealing with the leached ammonia straight away (2nd day ammonia was high then dropped) with only traces showing and I've noticed a couple of red cherries must have made their way up from the filter and don't seem to mind

Give your filter a clean out a week or 2 before and it'll hopefully get the bacteria that bit stronger in the new tank

Back