• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

advice on co2 diffusion in larger tank

cedarwood

Seedling
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on the most efficient way to add co2 to my setup.

A quick heads up:

500 litre tank
fx5 external
1400l/h external (tetratec type)
internal powerhead

EI dry powder dosing

Arcadia luminaire (4x54w T5HO) (plant pro x3, white x 1) - lighting period about 10 hours total with 2hours either end on 2 tubes)

I have a pressurised co2 system (currently co2 fire extiniguisher) on a solenoid set 2 hours before lighting period and going off about 1 hour before lights out.

drop checker with 4kdh solution

very hard water (19 dGH)

I have been using a jbl ladder diffuser which is not very efficient, placed under the outlet of the fx5. I have also tried a AE 300+ glass difusser which was placed under the intake of the fx5 (worked well for distribution and absorbtion, but not happy about the degradation of seals in the filter due to co2). I am not keen on the look of having the tank full of co2 'mist'

I am currently having to resort to the jbl spiral method as the AE 300+ suction pad won in a power struggle when trying to move it and the AE broke in the tank (slicing my hand in the process - D'oh!)

I have been looking at all options including external reactors (although the ones I have seen will not take the flow rate of the fx5 or the tubing size ,only the smaller filter which will not have as good a distribution flow around the tank).

If any one has any ideas, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

CD

Will be watching this with interest as I could have written that exact same post (except I've jsut stuck with the same old glass diffuser as it looks nice, but it doesn't work very well) Was looking at inline diffusers, but it would mean getting one for each filter (2x tetratec ex1200)

I've got a 500l 5/2/2 foot I use an aquamedic 1000 reactor
Good distribution but I've got 2 eheim 2075s
Pipework is 16/22 don't know what the fx5
Pipework is

I believe the internal diametre of the standard hose is 24mm.

I've decided on an aquamedic 1000 co2 reactor that I will use with the tetratec style filter. Should save on co2 and flow around the tank shouldn't be too much of a problem with carefully placed spray bar and powerhead.

Just ordered it, so should be here within the next few days. The only problem now is trying to work out where to fit it (near to the cannister in the outlet I assume?)

I was looking at a DIY version, but the wife would kill me if it leaked on the new carpet!

Thanks for the responses.

Hi cedarwood

cedarwood said:
I was looking at a DIY version, but the wife would kill me if it leaked on the new carpet!
She'll kill you if the Aquamedic leaks on the new carpet too :lol:
Just be aware that the tailpieces in the Aquamedic are not fully tightened up by the manufacturer (probably after filling it with media) so you need to nip those up a bit before you turn it on.
I didn't :oops: :lol:

CeeJay said:
Hi cedarwood

cedarwood said:
She'll kill you if the Aquamedic leaks on the new carpet too :lol:
Just be aware that the tailpieces in the Aquamedic are not fully tightened up by the manufacturer (probably after filling it with media) so you need to nip those up a bit before you turn it on.
I didn't :oops: :lol:

Thanks for the top tip! - may prove invaluable.

It should be here today, so I'll do a bit of plumbing later (I have already sorted out space for it in the cabinet), just need to get some jubilee clips.

As to the UP atomizer, I did look at this, however from what I have read on the forums, you still get some mist on the outlet which I am not keen on and wasn't too sure on how well it would work with the amount of co2 I need to put into the water, and I do not want to use it on the inlet of a cannister filter (co2 - acid - rubber seals etc.).

Cheers,

CD

The aquamedic 1000 turned up yesterday, so the evening was spent installing.

On first impressions the AM1000 is not built very well, both end caps were loose (not really a major problem), aswell as both the false air bleed union and the co2 union leaked. The instructions supplied were in german too....

Anyway to cut a long story short, the inlet and outlet size connections seem to be too small (12mm and 16mm) . I had to use some ingenuity to get it to mate to a 18mm/22mm pipe which is restricting flow somewhat. As aquamedic recommend a flow of min 1000l/h with this unit, is anyone aware of a larger connection available (or something with the same thread) that will fit so that flow rate is not restricted building up pressure.

A spray bar outlet return to the tank from the AM 1000 is directly behid the FX5 outlet, so the flow around the aquarium should be ok - all that is left to do now is some fine adjusting on the co2 regulator and monitor the drop checker.

Do most people use the AM1000 with a canister or on a separate pump?

Many thanks.

Chris Dowsett

I wasn't too happy with the flow rate, so added a Boyu 1400l/h powerhead to run the AM 1000. Cannister flow is now unrestricted, and turn over is about 10X. CO2 distribution is now better....

Back