• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on new glosso and HC carpets

Calzone

I planted my tank about 2 weeks ago with a carpet of glosso and HC. I am running a 330l tank, with 2x54W T5. Have CO2 injection, currently via diffuser but moving to external reactor when I get the plumbing working without large flow reduction. Drop checker is lime green albeit about a foot away from the carpets. Flow is high, with eheim 2180 at about 1200lph, another smaller filter, a 900 and a 2800lph powerhead. All on the back wall pointing towards the front. Can clearly see decent flow patterns and particularly flow around the carpets. see journal link below.

I believe both the glosso and HC are growing, or at least they seem bushy and the glosso is sending out horizontal runners with roots. However, they are quite messsy looking with an increasing number of yellowing leaves. I do still have problems with buoyancy as the roots aren't deep enough yet, and I probably didnt get enough rock wool off before planting. No signs of algae. Am using EI dosing via dry salts, 15-20% changes every 2-3 days. Lights on 2.5hrs, 1 hr off, then 3 hrs on. Co2 on 2 hrs before lights, off 1 hr before lights.

So my question is: do I have a problem with either CO2 distribution/flow, or nutrients etc, or is this just the plants adapting to the new circumstances they are in?

Also, when I first set up the CO2 the plants pearled. Now, they don't. Does pearling occur only under high light or high CO2 or both? Does it mostly only occur with CO2 microbubbles rather than dissolved? Is it an issue really?

Any reason why your knocking the lights off for an hour mid light cycle? I'd personally leave them on for the full period. I found with the glosso I had that it took a few weeks to settle in properly and that was with really high light. It looked a little messy at first but grew in really well shortly after. Is it just the glosso that has yellowing leaves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HC too. The gap came from some thread I read arguing it didn't harm plants but hindered algae. Admittedly with little scientific evidence! I've seen a lot of advice that to start a shorter photoperiod helps keep algae at bay. So far I only have a little diatoms on the glass.

The idea of a siesta period dates back to at least the early 90s when I first stated keeping planted tanks.
Dennerle & Dupla were the market leaders & they both promoted this idea that algae did not like a break in the lighting period but, the plants growth was not effected.

Heating cables were also in vogue & expensive name brand fertilisers were recommended, zero surface movement & 20% weekly water changes were the norm.
Rain water was another recommendation & mercury vapour lights of course were essential.

The tanks of the day were almost always Dutch style but some of the displays were very impressive indeed, in fact my 100 gal Dutch style tank live on in my memory as the most enjoyable tank I have ever kept!

Right. Had a minor problem last night where some water dripped down a hose, into the cabinet, where it dripped onto the 6 gang sockets and tripped the house leccy. Oops. Anyway, have left it over night to dry off and will test it later to see if it's ok when 'puter and tv are off. Means am short sockets for the time being.

Finally fitted the AM1000 tonight. Chopped hosetails so tHe internal diameter was nearly 1cm rather than the 7mm it comes with, removed most of the plastic mesh I had inside, and Lo! Proper flow again. And it's not leaking so far. I must say, the eheim double taps and eheim jubilee clips are great. Probably just as well since I broke the glass diffuser trying to get the hose off, stabbing myself in the process...

So tomorrow, am ready for proper co2 and proper lighting. With decent flow. Game on!

Back