• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on plants for low light, low tech setup needed.

Robbie X

Hello all.
I will be taking delivery of my 48x15x15 inch tank in the next few weeks.
It will house juvenile Channa bleheri, that prefer subdued lighting and blackwater conditions.
I will only be lighting one third of the tank which will have a bed of Amazonia aquasoil, the rest of the tank will be black sand and lots of wood.
I have been growing on Amazon frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, and Hydrocotyle tripartita so the tank will have plenty of floating plants and cascading tripartita.
For lighting I will be using a Fluval 12 watt Aquasky as the actual lighted area is quite small, though I do have more powerful lighting if this turns out to be insufficient.
I will be using EI dosing fertiliser but no CO2 on this setup.
I would really appreciate any plant suggestions that would suit this setup.
Cheers

Not a common occupant for a planted tank. However, the usual plants for this kind of set up spring to mind, Java fern, Echinodorus and Anubias species.
Many thanks. The planting will be pretty basic, just some cover for them if needed. Thanks for the plant recommendations, I will read up on them now.

Been a long time since i have kept any channa, And have kept them in a planted tank and they don't bother plants tbh. As long as they have plenty of free swimming space.
I used Hygrophila Polysperma, Limnophila Sessiflora, Hornwort, parrots Feather, Wisteria, Amazon Swords don't think i used any Ludwigia at the time, but it should be robust enough for them.
I kept larger gouramies with them no problems like: Moonlight, Pearl, Gold etc. And they acted as good dithers for them. They are a lovely fish once they settle in and the colours start to get more vibrant and as with all channa big personalities.

Been a long time since i have kept any channa, And have kept them in a planted tank and they don't bother plants tbh. As long as they have plenty of free swimming space.
I used Hygrophila Polysperma, Limnophila Sessiflora, Hornwort, parrots Feather, Wisteria, Amazon Swords don't think i used any Ludwigia at the time, but it should be robust enough for them.
I kept larger gouramies with them no problems like: Moonlight, Pearl, Gold etc. And they acted as good dithers for them. They are a lovely fish once they settle in and the colours start to get more vibrant and as with all channa big personalities.

So many thanks for the info, very much obliged. I had not thought about tankmates as I was going for a single species tank, but it is good to know it’s possible. 👍🏻

Also consider using Elodea Densa. I know its a pond plant, but very very fast growing and will provide alot of cover if left to grow wild like it does. And also Vallis, or giant onion plant. Both if left alone will grow well. And channas would look lovely swimming amongst it.

There used to be a shop that sold in bulk for Vallis on ebay. I used them for my 5*4*3 tropical pond years ago.
They might still be selling.

Also consider using Elodea Densa. I know its a pond plant, but very very fast growing and will provide alot of cover if left to grow wild like it does. And also Vallis, or giant onion plant. Both if left alone will grow well. And channas would look lovely swimming amongst it.

There used to be a shop that sold in bulk for Vallis on ebay. I used them for my 5*4*3 tropical pond years ago.
They might still be selling.
Much obliged for the info. Really looking forward to keeping these fish :)

Hello all.
I will be taking delivery of my 48x15x15 inch tank in the next few weeks.
It will house juvenile Channa bleheri, that prefer subdued lighting and blackwater conditions.
I will only be lighting one third of the tank which will have a bed of Amazonia aquasoil, the rest of the tank will be black sand and lots of wood.
I have been growing on Amazon frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, and Hydrocotyle tripartita so the tank will have plenty of floating plants and cascading tripartita.
For lighting I will be using a Fluval 12 watt Aquasky as the actual lighted area is quite small, though I do have more powerful lighting if this turns out to be insufficient.
I will be using EI dosing fertiliser but no CO2 on this setup.
I would really appreciate any plant suggestions that would suit this setup.
Cheers

Plants from the Tropica Easy category are always pretty safe bets.

Cheers,
Michael

maybe this will help
Plant_easy.jpg

Back