• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

advice on setting up my new tank?

cichlidlover

hi guys,
well in a few weeks i will be buying my new aqua one aquience 300ltr ( decided to go for this as its nice and wide, its a bit more expensive than the fluval 240 i was looking at but this ones got 4 t5s!)
now i want some advice on substrate, co2 and plants. my current set up is just a general community with a tetra base layer and fine quartz gravel and is planted mainly with crypts and a gorgeous african lilly and has no co2 ( i use easycarbo daily) what i need to know is what is the best all in one substrate to use that will be ok for my plecs and corys without having to spend more on capping ( just trying to save a bit of money!) and what ratio will i need to set my co2 level at if i have a good surface flow to benefit my fish? ( i intend buying a D+D pressurized kit with solenoid) I also intend swapping the aqua one external for a EIHIEM PRO 3.
i would like to go with the crypts and Lilly but would also like some nice stem plants with a nice bit of colour to them ie, reds and such but they need to be sturdy because of my sucker mouths!any suggestions please, also anything else that would help me with my set up.
thankyou.
mark

A few things that I've been told since I joined this community.

Have you considered using akadama as a substrate? Used by amano in the early days, cheap and can pull nutrients from the water column for the roots.

The dd kit I considered but was advised, rightly, that it would be too small for my 260l so went down the 5kg route.

I'd keep the other filter for added flow and bio filtering.

As long as there is no surface disturbance co2 should be fine, I'd consider using an external inline diffuser for the co2.

Back